Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving and slowing down to stop behind a car that was going to make a turn. When I was about to go again I noticed that the steering wheel was locked and that nothing happened. I managed to put the gear in park and start the car and go again. This is the second time the car shuts itself down in low speed, feels kinda scary.

Does anyone know what might be the issue? I'm thinking something with the air mass meter perhaps, maybe a bad hose somewhere. I've noticed that is has shut itself off a couple off times after using the remote start as well.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I was driving and slowing down to stop behind a car that was going to make a turn. When I was about to go again I noticed that the steering wheel was locked and that nothing happened. I managed to put the gear in park and start the car and go again. This is the second time the car shuts itself down in low speed, feels kinda scary.

Does anyone know what might be the issue? I'm thinking something with the air mass meter perhaps, maybe a bad hose somewhere. I've noticed that is has shut itself off a couple off times after using the remote start as well.
My 09 did it while I was driving too. 3 trips to one dealer and they couldn't find a problem. 1 trip to a different dealer and they got it in 10 minutes. It was a bad WIN Module. Wireless Ignition Node. I also filed a safety bulletin with the NTSB describing the problem. mine would shut off while driving. There's an old thread here all about it. Search Car shuts off.

here's the link to the original thread...

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f188/wont-start-wont-shut-off-dies-while-driving-71182/

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sounds like it may be the WIN module then. Is there anyway to state that by yourself? I have a Diablo Predator, would it maybe get an error code? Also, where is it located? Is it possible to DIY you think?

Edit; my dealer was talking about another part that would be required to change as well, do you know if it was only the WIN module that your dealership changed? Does the keys need to be reprogrammed?

·
Registered
102 Posts
They needed both my key fobs as they have to be programmed in.

I HATE taking my car to the dealer, but this is something you will need them to do. I don't think they replaced anything else when they did the WIN module. They may have done other updates. I do not have a programmer yet, so I have not paid close attention to the firmware versions.

Oh...and I am not sure where it is located. There are a lot of modules in these cars! :)

·
Super Moderator
16,619 Posts
another item to check is the crank position sensor - when these get defective, they'll shut down when they get hot.

After a couple of seconds, they'll cool off (no current flow) and the engine will start back up.

Typically don't fail on cold startup - when these things get to operating temp, that's when they go intermittent if the CPS is starting to fail.

·
Super Moderator
14,905 Posts
Did your Challenger stall more than once?

My 2009 SRT stalled one time. After a "driveability" reflash, in 2010, it hasn't happened again.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The WIN module is the ignition switch. It has to be programmed to the PCM, and then your old keys have to be programmed to the new WIN. Yay for technology...:bash:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did your Challenger stall more than once?

My 2009 SRT stalled one time. After a "driveability" reflash, in 2010, it hasn't happened again.
It has happened two times while driving, and two times when using the remote start.

It's located behind the push start button, it's actually a the part that you put the key in. Doesn't look to complicated to change yourself, but the keys have to be reprogrammed so I guess the dealer have to do it. They want $608 for parts and the work.

Remember what you paid? I know there is a huge difference, but it would be fun to compare. The part itself they want $415 for, which is just ridiculous since I've seen it in the US for about $100 with shipping to Sweden included.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Holy cow. Mine is under warranty. Maybe you can buy and replace the part and just have the dealer re-program the keys. You would have to talk to your dealer to see what they would charge for that.

I am sure people would like to know if this is an option.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You could replace it yourself, but you'd have to tow the car to the dealer. The new WIN has to be programmed to the PCM too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
272 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts