Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my licence tag from MD from my old car.

When I got a new SRT392, they applied for a new tag and gave me temp tags. I also have my old permanenet tags from my Dodge charger.

Now I want to use the same old tags for my new SRT, and the new permanent tags that they applied is of no use to me.

Should I wait for the new tags to arrive ?

What is the process of using my existing tags and return the new permanenet tags that the dealership has applied for me. Any help appreciated!

:42::42::42::42::42::42::42::42: :42::42::42::42::42::42::42::42:

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called them up, and they said I could return the newer plates and stick to the old ones, when I receive the new ones. :D Just wanted to update forum :D

·
Premium Member
9,376 Posts
Thanks for the update. You have too much to lose by by getting the answer from the state directly. I'd hand the plates back in person and get a receipt. Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
93 Posts
As a fellow resident of the People's Republic of Maryland my best advice is to take both sets of tags and any paperwork you have to an MVA office and prepare to spend a few delightful hours there. I have no idea if they will refund the 2 years of tags you paid for to get the new ones, but they will charge a transfer fee.

You probably cancelled the insurance on your old vehicle already. Be prepared for an issue because you haven't turned the tags in yet. You will get a letter from MVA demanding that you prove the vehicle was gone before you cancelled, or pay a hefty fine. You might be able to take care of this when you visit to do the swap.

·
Registered
424 Posts
As a fellow resident of the People's Republic of Maryland my best advice is to take both sets of tags and any paperwork you have to an MVA office and prepare to spend a few delightful hours there. I have no idea if they will refund the 2 years of tags you paid for to get the new ones, but they will charge a transfer fee.

You probably cancelled the insurance on your old vehicle already. Be prepared for an issue because you haven't turned the tags in yet. You will get a letter from MVA demanding that you prove the vehicle was gone before you cancelled, or pay a hefty fine. You might be able to take care of this when you visit to do the swap.
All of this. Have fun.

Only think I will add is 3rd party Tag & Title companies are worth EVERY PENNY in Maryland. Find one, spend the money, and enjoy your sanity from not having to go to the MVA.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I remember when there was only one MVA in Maryland (Glen Burnie) and you dreaded going there more than going to Walmart. I agree with the Clump....., take all your paperwork, checkbook, and lots of reading material (maybe a movie or two on your laptop) and settle in for an afternoon at the MVA. Try to go to one of the smaller offices if possible. Since I've never used a 3rd party title company I can't speak to that but it sounds like a good option (As Hollywood Ball mentioned). Good Luck and keep us posted. :|

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I remember when there was only one MVA in Maryland (Glen Burnie) and you dreaded going there more than going to Walmart. I agree with the Clump....., take all your paperwork, checkbook, and lots of reading material (maybe a movie or two on your laptop) and settle in for an afternoon at the MVA. Try to go to one of the smaller offices if possible. Since I've never used a 3rd party title company I can't speak to that but it sounds like a good option (As Hollywood Ball mentioned). Good Luck and keep us posted. :|

I am thinking of going through thirs party. Who does permanent tags in a day . Example would be Maryland Speedy Tag & Title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
424 Posts
I am thinking of going through thirs party. Who does permanent tags in a day . Example would be Maryland Speedy Tag & Title.

I don't know where you are, but I used to be in Federal Hill downtown. There was an Allstate office on Light Street in the neighborhood that also did Tag & Title. I used them once to tag & title a Jeep I had bought, and to later return a set of plates.

They didn't charge that much. I forget what it was, but I would have paid double or triple for how easy they made things.

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know where you are, but I used to be in Federal Hill downtown. There was an Allstate office on Light Street in the neighborhood that also did Tag & Title. I used them once to tag & title a Jeep I had bought, and to later return a set of plates.

They didn't charge that much. I forget what it was, but I would have paid double or triple for how easy they made things.

Thanks a ton for the info, Sir. I am calling them.

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so here is the thing. I called MVA and asked how much will be transfer of plates and they said $10. The same thing when i asked third party, they said $60. So i assume going through MD would be lot better. Even for personalized plates its $100 in MVA and $150 for third party.

My feedback: Every penny counts. MVA is a better choice.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ok so here is the thing. I called MVA and asked how much will be transfer of plates and they said $10. The same thing when i asked third party, they said $60. So i assume going through MD would be lot better. Even for personalized plates its $100 in MVA and $150 for third party.

My feedback: Every penny counts. MVA is a better choice.

Everybody values their time and patience differently...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,111 Posts
Do you have AAA, you can do this through them. You do have to order through them. Might get some answers if you inquired anyway. A Guy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts