Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else seen this happen before? Took her through a touchless car wash like I normally do at least once a week to get the salt off... parked on the street overnight and then noticed this as I walked to my car in the morning...

What the....? Only explanation I can come up with is that because it wa so cold the vinyl was brittle and the high pressure washers stripped it off. It was like -15 celsius when I went...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
That shouldn't happen unless u hold the gun right on the stripe or too close. Was it automated or do it ur self

·
Registered
147 Posts
Cheap Vinyl gets extremely brittle at cold ambients.

Why do you run one of those Illegal License Plate Covers?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ive seen it happen with my cousin's rt.. the front bumper is missing a chunk. I dont know if its from a car wash or "playing" too much in the snow

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

I would guess the cold temps and then having it sprayed with warmer water, then back in the cold is the culprit. One of the reasons why my stripes are painted.

I live in a border town w/ Canada. I would say a good 75% of the Canadian cars visiting on the US side have those license plate covers. In NY it is illegal to cover your plate. The cops normally don't bother the Canadian's about it. It is also Illegal here to have anything around either plate that obstructs any of the smaller lettering on the plate. The bottom of NY plates say. "Empire State". The plastic plate surrounds the dealers put on obstruct this lettering. Its a 25.00 ticket and an 85.00 state surcharge. 115.00 total for having one on. I know.. a Trooper wrote me for it.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was automated touchless... like I said never had a problem before. Isn't cheap vinyl either it's actually quite expensive 3M that I paid a pretty penny to have installed June '12.

The covers are not illegal here, to answer your question.....

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
IMO, I'd remove the stripes right up to the line where the bevel meets the lower panel where the stripe peeled away.

It would be a cleaner look vs. the "framed" look around the license plate well.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I'd be calling who ever did it and have it replaced. I have run my car through a auto touch less was probably 20-30 times this winter and we have had Canadian Temps here this year and no damage like this with my factory stripes.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Had the same style stripes on my car when I drove it for 2 alberta winters. Never had a problem with car washes. Only had them on for 2 1/2 years though.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I'll take a traditional automatic car wash over a touchless 1000 times out of 1000. Cleans much better and doesn't spray high pressure non-effective water at your car.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
It just scratches the hell out of it with the brushes that r covered in everyone else's road grime!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
It just scratches the hell out of it with the brushes that r covered in everyone else's road grime!
It has water constantly running over it and does not spray at anywhere near the pressure of a touchless. My car goes through an automatic wash twice a week, then I bring it home and spend 30 minutes to an hour making it right.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was told by the shop that applied my stripes to avoid touchless car washes because of the high water pressure. I usually wash it at a self service wand place, standing back and being careful with the wand, taking the dirt off with the soap brush, rinsing carefully and then using the no spot rinse.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Emailed the 3M shop. She replies "Unfortunately the warranty does not cover physical damage."

Lol oooook... so what does the warranty cover then :/

Anyway I'm taking it in and i'll have one of the guys look at it.

Just confuses me that I've taken it through the same damn car wash for 2 winters and it randomly damages it now..

·
Registered
147 Posts
Emailed the 3M shop. She replies "Unfortunately the warranty does not cover physical damage."

Lol oooook... so what does the warranty cover then :/

Anyway I'm taking it in and i'll have one of the guys look at it.

Just confuses me that I've taken it through the same damn car wash for 2 winters and it randomly damages it now..

As time goes on... the Vinyl degrades and dries up. Add that to the fact the Vinyl was extremely cold, and got blasted with a water sprayer.

3M (Quality) Vinyl comes with a 5 Year or 7 Year Warranty. Unfortunately... that only covers the Vinyl itself.
Not the Labor/ Replacement Costs.

I've had cheap (Non-3M) Vinyl installed on several cars... and if the Temperature was extremely cold, I was told explicitly to never wash my car because the Vinyl would come off or flake off.

·
Registered
147 Posts
LOL/// what kind of question is that!???
Well...

If he bought that Plate Cover to hide his license plate from photography, you can plainly see it's not doing what it's supposed to do: hide his Plate from Photography.

If he bought the Plate Cover to simply keep his License Plate clean, you can plainly see it's not doing what it's supposed to do: keep his License Plate clean.

·
Registered
58 Posts
... Isn't cheap vinyl either it's actually quite expensive 3M that I paid a pretty penny to have installed June '12.
I do a lot of vinyl work with my business - I supply vinyl graphics that are applied to ex-military jet aircraft and vintage warbirds. I would think 35,000 feet at 500 knots beats the hell out of a car wash, even in February. Just because the vinyl was made by 3M doesn't mean it's top quality vinyl. Even 3M makes the less expensive 3-5 year "calendared" vinyl. The "good stuff" is 8-12 year "cast" vinyl, which is about 8 to 10x more expensive than calendared. Seen it happen all the time, where vinyl shops fill their pockets by selling you on the 3M brand name (and your perception on the quality) and then supplying you with the lower cost 3M choice. I bet they never mentioned the "cast" or "calendared" choice you had when you bought the vinyl, just the 3M name brand. It's not the brand name that's important, it is how the vinyl is made. Personally, the vinyl I use is imported from Wales.

"Calendared" is an extrusion process where the vinyl is rolled and compressed into the final thickness. Over time it dries out and cracks as it tries to return to its original shape. "Cast" vinyl, on the other hand, is made like Jello. It is poured flat and left to cure so it is not stressed into shape. It retains its shape and is dimensionally very stable.

As others have said here, your picture looks like 2 year old calendared vinyl that has started to dry out, became cold and brittle, been blasted by the high pressure car wash, and peeled off. Put a piece of masking tape in your freezer overnight and see how sticky the adhesive is the next day. You will be surprised.

BTW, the implied manufacturer warranties for vinyl typically only cover the colour and fading aspects, not peeling or cracking. The 3 to 5 year and 7 to 10 year figures are not warranties. They are suggested guides to the "expected" life span in "normal" use.

Reactions: RallyeRingo

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Ha, I love learning things like that. Thanks phantom!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts