Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first time posting here.

I have a 2015 Scat Pack 6MT and recently decided to go ahead and purchase some aftermarket wheels with 275 tires on them.

Here are the wheels in question.

To make a long story short after installing them I noticed a significant wobble at 60MPH the whole car shakes and so does the steering wheel. I thought I probably didn’t install the wheels correctly and decided to take it to a shop.

I made them do a wheel alignment and balancing again despite purchasing the wheels already mounted and balanced.

I thought my ordeal was over but no, the wobble is still there and it’s frankly driving me crazy. I ruled out any suspension issues because the car with the OEM wheels on never did that and drove it the same day I changed the wheels with no issues whatsoever.

I’m thinking perhaps the acorn lug nuts are too wide for the lug holes since these wheels are not OEM?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,521 Posts
I've not had good luck with aftermarket wheels on several cars and trucks.i suggest having them remove the tires and balance the rims. Mount the tires and balance again. This will also show if there's a bent wheel. Yes I've had it happen on a brand new wheel.

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Are you making sure the torque on the lug nuts are correct? And did you buy these used? If so, they could be bent.

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've not had good luck with aftermarket wheels on several cars and trucks.i suggest having them remove the tires and balance the rims. Mount the tires and balance again. This will also show if there's a bent wheel. Yes I've had it happen on a brand new wheel.
Thanks for the input. I heard of balancing the wheels but never heard of balancing the rims do they put weights inside the wheel itself?

Are you making sure the torque on the lug nuts are correct? And did you buy these used? If so, they could be bent.
I actually overlooked that premise, I did torque my lug nuts to the recommended setting but I can’t say for the tire shop. The wheels in question were purchased new through American Muscle with free mounting and balancing.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,521 Posts
Yes they put weights inside the rims, mount the tires and add weights to the outside.

·
Registered
16,206 Posts
I'm assuming these are not hub centric wheels, are they?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
Did you contact the retailer you bought these from?

Put your original wheels and tires back on and test drive just to make sure something didn't change In the car.

If all is good, does your local tire shop have any ideas?

I have been told, when buying larger wheels and tires in the past, that some times you have to dismount the tire, rotate it 180 degrees and re-inflate. just an idea, but your tire shop would know better.

roadforce balancing may help id which wheel/tire is the issue or if its all.

are you sure the hubs are seated square to the back of the wheel?

·
Registered
2018 SRT
548 Posts
We bought our first Charger back in 2006 or was it 05? Anyway, there wasn't much choice in wheels back then. The shop we bought a set of Cragars from thought you could interchange a 4 3/4" pattern with the 115 mm. They seemed to fit just fine, but we got an off and on wobble. We did get it straightened out.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Raise the wheels off the ground, spin them and see what is wobbling. You can watch the tread and the edge of the wheel or set up a pointer on a stand to judge by. Since you say "wobble" I assume you are not talking about balance but the one or more of the wheels/tires are not running true. I have 3 sets of aftermarket wheels and they are are all fine.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,705 Posts
... whole car shakes and so does the steering wheel...
Move the fronts to the back, still happen? Steering wheel shake the same? If it changes, check the back ones, swap one back to the front and check. Maybe a tire is balanced correctly, but not seated correctly? have someone follow you and look at your tires as you drive and see if any is obviously off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone for the amazing feedback.

I took my car to get it road force balanced and they found out 2 rear tires to be slightly out of round, needless to say the last people to do the balancing did a depressingly bad job.

the wobble is really minor now especially at higher speeds but American Muscle will be able to help me out with the tire exchange.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts