Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m having an issue here. My car is in park and will not come out along with a check engine light. Car was fine when I parked it. This the message it’s giving me

As you can see, from the screen the car is in park and now the gear shifter is not lit like it normally would be to show what gear you’re in and I will not budge from P position. Any ideas what’s going on here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I’m having an issue here. My car is in park and will not come out along with a check engine light. Car was fine when I parked it. This the message it’s giving me

As you can see, from the screen the car is in park and now the gear shifter is not lit like it normally would be to show what gear you’re in and I will not budge from P position. Any ideas what’s going on here?

I cant read what the dash says. Try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. and see if this clears the fault.

·
Registered
800 Posts
As said, try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes.

Does your car come with a key fob you can use in place of the push button start?

Is the car on or just in run? Try putting it to run and shifting to neutral then turn the car on.

Reactions: labarre06

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As said, try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes.

Does your car come with a key fob you can use in place of the push button start?

Is the car on or just in run? Try putting it to run and shifting to neutral then turn the car on.

No it’s just the push to start but I’m about to go and disconnect the battery.

The car will start, but it won’t let me shift it out of park and the shifter light does not light up to notify the driver what gear it’s in

·
Registered
800 Posts
Peculiar. Let me know what happens after the battery disconnect. Leave it disconnected for 5 minutes.

While you are back there, pull the fuse for the WIN module and check it. I don?t what number it is on your year so you will have to check your owners manual.

·
Super Moderator
14,218 Posts
There are two things you can try. These applied to older Challengers, with the 5-speed NAG1 automatic transmission, but may be applicable to your car. First remove the rubber rectangular holder next to the shifter. You should see a reset button underneath that you can press. Push it and then leave the car alone for 15 minutes without touching, turning on, turning off, or anything. The reset should then hold. If you mess this up, you will have to push the reset button again the next time you go to drive.

If that doesn't work, you may have a broken plastic part in the shifter. It sometimes breaks, from wear and tear, because it was poorly designed. It has a hole drilled in it where a spring attaches.The spring is on a tab that is known to break. If your car is not under warranty, the dealer will replace the entire shift mechanism for about $350. You can, however, do it yourself. for about $20. Here is a 4-minute DIY You Tube video:

The aluminum replacement part that is used in the video is made by Billet Technology. It sells for $19.99. You'll have to call, however, to see if it fits your model year. Here is the link to the part (with PDF installation instructions and photos):

Park Lock Out, Pink Thing Replacement, Dodge Charger, Dodge Magnum, Chrysler 300, 2005, 2006, 2007, Stuck in park, Wont shift

·
Registered
800 Posts
I thought that pink thingy died out a long time ago and that dodge switched to something different. My brother's 2008 or 9 Charger RT had that issue.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:

First I went under the cover near the shifter and that button wasn’t there and while I had it opened I checked and made sure nothing was preventing it from working properly

I then went and pulled fuse 31 and let it sit for about 5 minutes and that didn’t work

I finally just disconnected the battery and went do something else for like 45 minutes and connected the battery back and the shifter started working properly but the check engine light was still on. I drove it around my block a few times, shut it down and came back 10 minutes later and check engine light went off. I really think cars went to sh*t when all these electronics got involved

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In some ways you are right. one needs to carry a wrench for the battery at all times.

And you’re right about that. I don’t know if I just got a bad car but lately this thing has been giving me problems

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Update:

First I went under the cover near the shifter and that button wasn’t there and while I had it opened I checked and made sure nothing was preventing it from working properly

I then went and pulled fuse 31 and let it sit for about 5 minutes and that didn’t work

I finally just disconnected the battery and went do something else for like 45 minutes and connected the battery back and the shifter started working properly but the check engine light was still on. I drove it around my block a few times, shut it down and came back 10 minutes later and check engine light went off. I really think cars went to sh*t when all these electronics got involved

Even though the light went out the code should still be there. Have the code read and post it or google it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am thinking that the plug that goes to the shifter assembly has come loose, or a wire has been severed. Evidence for the idea is:

1) No light up in shifter handle.
2) Vehicle does not 'think' it is in neutral. (computer is not getting the 'park' signal)

The shifter connection would cause both these symptoms.

OTOH, IF there is a fuse dedicated to the shifter control, that would be a likely cause of your symptom also.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am thinking that the plug that goes to the shifter assembly has come loose, or a wire has been severed. Evidence for the idea is:

1) No light up in shifter handle.
2) Vehicle does not 'think' it is in neutral. (computer is not getting the 'park' signal)

The shifter connection would cause both these symptoms.

OTOH, IF there is a fuse dedicated to the shifter control, that would be a likely cause of your symptom also.

When I took the cover off the shifter I did push it in just incase so maybe that’s what it was idk.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts