Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Do your exhaust tips have carbon built-up or any black residue?

• No carbon, with catch can

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Carbon, with catch can

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • No carbon, no catch can

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Carbon, no catch can

Votes: 3 9.4%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Random thought, curious to know how other peoples' cars are doing. If you have pics of the tips, post 'em up.

Basically, I'm curious to know how many miles you have, if you have a catch can and if you have any carbon on your exhaust tips.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
These engines seem to run a little rich but it doesn't bother me, I just clean it.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These engines seem to run a little rich but it doesn't bother me, I just clean it.
I ask because I have nearly 30k, have had a catch can since 500 miles and my tips are nearly spotless, I've never cleaned them or felt the need to clean them. I'm curious to see if a catch can or lack of catch can makes any real difference here. Not trying to start another catch can war, it's an innocent question and I'm not here to debate the merits of them. :)

Keep it simple and civil, folks! :D

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
20K + no CC = clean tips. I do wash the car weekly, which includes the exhaust tips.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger Hellcat
364 Posts
Have a 2012 Challenger SRT 392 here. Has 14,200 miles and I just installed a catch can last month. After extensive review on this forum about catch cans, and after removing my PCV hose off and seeing/feeling the oily residue inside I decided to buy one. Wish I would have done it sooner....
With that being said and as Yahooligan mentioned that IS NOT the topic here (lol) I do believe that my exhaust tips always have been a little black from the get go. Now it is -16 below here right now in Minn. so I`m not gonna go outside to refresh my memory (laugh) but it seems to me the exhaust tips were also more on the dark/black side on my 2008 SRT Super Bee 6.1 that I had prior to this Challenger. Just kinda seems to be a Mopar thing......

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses! I'll try and get a pic of mine tonight and post them up for comparison.

I wish my wife's Pilot was here for pics as well, IIRC the lower 1/3 or so of her chrome tips are black with carbon.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Not sure I can get a pic tonite (headed to -17 degrees), but my Solo tips do have carbon buildup. Not a lot but if you wipe your finger in them you can see it. And yes, I do have a catch can. Would be interesting if ended up with a definite result (can vs no can).

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I'm pretty sure that driving habits and conditions will also have an impact.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Guess the buildup on my tips says way too much about the weight of my right foot....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Exhaust tips were black, installed a catch can. Have yet to see any carbon build up. Goin on 2k miles already with the can installed, and every other week, an "Italian tune-up"

Reactions: salvy59

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are pics of my tips, I've never cleaned them and typically use a touchless car wash. I don't have a light right foot and have spent a bit of time going around the track.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1391028868.399001.jpg

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1391028877.204474.jpg

Sent from a cool, little device from the future.

·
Premium Member
9,666 Posts
Most of my miles are just tooling around town and have a little carbon and have a catch can. My thinking is how I drive it is the cause, if it went on the highway more often it would be different. Good topic choice.

Reactions: USRWDV8

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
24k miles, catch can on almost all those miles and my tips are clean.

·
Registered
511 Posts
What is the best way to revive carbon build up? My corsa exhaust tips now have quite a bit of carbon deposits.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My tips are filthy. But one thing to note is I no longer have cats. That is when my discoloration started.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
At the moment my whole car is filthy (but she knows I love her) including the carbon covered exhaust tips which proudly proclaim "YEAH, I BURN DINOSAUR OIL! WANNA FIGHT ABOUT IT!"

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Look 'ma, no carbon deposits! Just a crooked tip, a valance cut to fit the Flowmasters and some ugly exhaust guts I had never noticed before...

I pressure wash the tips and just wipe down the exterior once a week. Surprised by how well they hold up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
You still got the factory clamps on there? If you do then a 1/2" wrench is all that's between you and having perfectly aligned exhaust tips. If they're welded....................dude yer *ucked! :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
Look 'ma, no carbon deposits! Just a crooked tip, a valance cut to fit the Flowmasters and some ugly exhaust guts I had never noticed before...

I pressure wash the tips and just wipe down the exterior once a week. Surprised by how well they hold up.
Its interesting to note that the '12 and newer cars don't have the dark finish inside the exhaust tips as the '08-'11 cars have...must have been a cost-reduction to not have the OEM supplier give that shot of matte black paint inside of them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts