Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the production version be carbon fiber as is the concept? I surely hope so, as the carbon fiber is lighter weight than steel. (and won't end up being a potential rust bucket as in the 70's cars).
Stamped steel is definetly most cost effective to produce, but the carbon fiber body would be worth any extra dollars to me. (well, depends on how much extra)
I hope this isn't a silly question but couldn't find any answers in search.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really doubt that they would make a car like this out of carbon fibre. It'd cost too much to produce I would think. Just look at how much an aftermarket CF hood is. Imagine having to pay to replace one of those panels if something bad happened! That would be an interesting option to have though, I'd consider it if I had the money to spare. I could see Dodge making the next Viper out of carbon fibre to keep the weight down though. That'd be sweet!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh well, wishfull thinking anyway. :) I guess I kinda knew the answer. But thanks for bursting my bubble. :D I guess I asked because the 'Vette' was produced fiberglass, but then again cost was so much more than the other "Muscle cars".

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Leadphoenix said:
I really doubt that they would make a car like this out of carbon fibre. It'd cost too much to produce I would think. Just look at how much an aftermarket CF hood is. Imagine having to pay to replace one of those panels if something bad happened! That would be an interesting option to have though, I'd consider it if I had the money to spare. I could see Dodge making the next Viper out of carbon fibre to keep the weight down though. That'd be sweet!
Thats so true. They have got to find a way to keep the price down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i dont mind non structral peices in carbon fiber.......but no carbon doors please. carbon doors + dumbass running red light = not able to make anymore car payments

·
Registered
334 Posts
PlumCrazy said:
Will the production version be carbon fiber as is the concept? I surely hope so, as the carbon fiber is lighter weight than steel. (and won't end up being a potential rust bucket as in the 70's cars).
Stamped steel is definetly most cost effective to produce, but the carbon fiber body would be worth any extra dollars to me. (well, depends on how much extra)
I hope this isn't a silly question but couldn't find any answers in search.
Forget Carbon Fiber. Way too expensive.

...and, forget Rust. Cars made today are Galvanized right up to the roof. They don't rust.

LJB;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I could see a few components being made of carbon fiber or fiberglass/plastic composite. Remember the Dodge Intrepid had front fenders made of plastice. I could see The new Challenger having composite fenders, and hood to save front weight.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It prob won't happen but perhaps the SRT8 version could get weight savings from CF like Chevy does on the Z06 vs the reg C6.

Hey... we can dream

·
Registered
6 Posts
dont worry about carbon fiber parts, trust me the aftermarket will delver the goods, fully expect carbon hoods and trunks within a year of its release.

·
Registered
12 Posts
IDK from what I read they're talkin about carbon fiber... But who knows, maybe it'll be optional, idk, but i've looked around and read that at like 3 diffeerent places. Ya never know until Dodge says whats gonna happen i guess...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts