Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carbon Fiber bit the dust. Had meet some forum members at Tulsa this weekend.
Really nice people and cars. About 8 made a drive from around OKC to Tulsa dragway.
Myself I had started with traction problems still running low 11s, and when I got that handled it stuck like glue.
One Time, lol lol

Here are some pics of the carnage.
It didnt break like you hear about on the net either. Hear about how they unwind or unravel. It shattered, kinda explosion feel.
Then throws shards of carbon fiber. Sharp as hell to, all over. Take a look.
Broke in the center, above the X pipe and above the heat shield. So its well protected from debries and heat. Heck I dunno, but it poped.

33 passes and 3 or 4 months old, DSS carbon fiber one piece drivshaft. Dont know if was thin thereor an air bubble, who knows. I got to call Frank in the morning. Need another sent out, and see how its handled.
Not sure If i can mentally feel comfortable with the CF now. Why I wanted the alum unit in first place.

Enjoy the carnage, FlatTop

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392
1,536 Posts
Wow! That's not supposed to happen...until over 1000 whp I understood! No?

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
I wouldn't trust a carbon fiber DS. Hopefully it didn't break anything

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
610 Posts
carbon fiber is trickier than metal.. one little mistake and its weaker.. just go with alum... will last a lifetime!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
that's crazy ... yeah I thought they were good to 1000 HP also .... apparently not ... good luck with the fix ... sux it happened at the track

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't trust a carbon fiber DS. Hopefully it didn't break anything

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
No it didnt hurt nothing. The tunnel was fine. Sounded bad, real bad. LOL Buzzed the motor way way up.

And Im not making 1000hp either. Hehehe Thats what I thought. It was just something was green or a bubble in the material during process. Right......
I may see if we can go another route. If they wont, Ill take the warrenty DS and sell it.
FT

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's crazy ... yeah I thought they were good to 1000 HP also .... apparently not ... good luck with the fix ... sux it happened at the track
Yea, thanks bro. I was really leaning on it hard. Wanted to get to 10s without spray. Then juice it.
If ol Frank can get me hooked up in a timely manner with a replacment I may just be able to get there.
Thanks FT

·
Registered
610 Posts
congrats on the passes! and you seem to have a good spirit.. hopefully it gets resolve and you are back on track literally :D

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
I would weld up some 4130 chrome moly and make your own DS. Sounds like you got bit by the Snake FT!

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks BW. I might see if they will change out the CF for a Alum DS. or even a chrome molly One pc.
I asked when I was looking for a DS and was told they wont do a molly in one pc, only 2 piece. I dont want that and am not gong that way, dont like the carrier bearing BS. So, got talked into the CF. Well see what happens.
I know that some people have molly one pc. For fact. Built somewhere.
Who makes molly one pc DS ?
FlatTop

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thanks BW. I might see if they will change out the CF for a Alum DS. or even a chrome molly One pc.
I asked when I was looking for a DS and was told they wont do a molly in one pc, only 2 piece. I dont want that and am not gong that way, dont like the carrier bearing BS. So, got talked into the CF. Well see what happens.
I know that some people have molly one pc. For fact. Built somewhere.
Who makes molly one pc DS ?
FlatTop
Did you check with the D.S. shop in lowell? They can probably hook you up since that's all they do. I talked to them and they sounded confident they could build whatever I needed

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear about this. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a CF DS and 1400HP axles from DSS. This gives me pause on going with CF. Subscribed to see what happens and what you go with as a replacement.

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BluBbad, I talked with Frank at Drive shaft Shop DSS yesterday afternoon.
It appears there may be something going on with the rear cradle rubber mounts holding the rear diffrental. Moving enough to let the DS tube hit the tunnel, and waste it instantly. Or puts the DS in a bind and pops. Or a bad spot in the CF. Under the car in ten min to get measurements for Frank.
Don't know what's up yet. stay tuned.
FT

·
Registered
529 Posts
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
1st, that really bites brother, sure glad you or the car didn't get tore up by that thing. 1nd, thank you for saving me crazy money buying one of those. I shall stick with the aluminum one. Hope they get you fixed up and running ricky tick

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks fellas, I always like to share what I find out. They use the CF DS in all sorts of applications. From garbage trucks to pro mods.
In my case, we got a few ideas going.

First > Rule out, improper install. Everything by the install sheet. No damage to shaft during install. Very carefull, Tq everything with tq wrench to spec.
And no bolts were bent, if the shaft was loose or improper install the bolts would be bent. There not. Plus I put the car on the rack before every weekend I go racing.

Second > I can rule out, it being hit by anything. Road debres, rocks, beer cans, ect. The break in the DS is where the center bearing would of been, as OEM.
There is the factory exhaust X pipe right there protecting the shaft. Then there is a heat shield above the exhaust that covers the driveshaft.The heat shield is 20 inches long. Nothing tore through the heat shield hitting shaft.

Third > Factory cradle mounts being oem rubber they flex somewhat. Thus it may allow the driveshaft to lift and hit the DS tunnel. Rear end moves around to much.
One touch and its over for the CF DS. Neoprene bushings may help this.
Check that theory, as I can see it being possible happening. However,
Not the case with mine, checked on the rack with the trans jack.

After going over the above possible causes, next we talked about was a diffrent CF tube. Frank has all the knowledge on the chemical make up of the shafts and theres a couple ones they use. There are a couple sizes also.
One other theory was just a possible bad spot in a tube is all.
I gave Frank the info he was looking for to help find the cause of why it broke.

Now this wed I send my broke carbon fiber drive shaft back with a RMA number.
DSS said they would get me another shaft ready now and start building it so it can be shipped faster.
Great news, good service from DSS. Was able to get someone on the phone. Once the tech couldnt do anything for me, i asked for the owner Frank to get involved and he handled the issue. Were trying to figure it out.
So far so good.
The carbon fiber drive shaft from Drive Shaft Shop was smooth. Felt like a good direct hook up to pavment. Had a better felt reaction to the throttle. It just broke.
FlatTop

EDIT: vvvv- see below Randycat99 below, yes that was thrown out there also. That being said it was in the very center, Right where the twist of the tq hits the shaft. Maybe thinor weak right there as you said. Thanks

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Could be entirely coincidence, but it did break right about at the mid-length position, didn't it? Maybe it is just simple fatigue failure at the location of highest stress/torsional displacement?

...or if the rotational balance isn't exactly right, the center section may "wobble" up and down in flexure, exacerbating fatigue weakness at the center? I suppose you would have felt that vibration in regular use, though, if there was actually an issue there.

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Could be entirely coincidence, but it did break right about at the mid-length position, didn't it? Maybe it is just simple fatigue failure at the location of highest stress/torsional displacement?

...or if the rotational balance isn't exactly right, the center section may "wobble" up and down in flexure, exacerbating fatigue weakness at the center? I suppose you would have felt that vibration in regular use, though, if there was actually an issue there.
Yep, right in the middle. Correct thats where it takes the hit alright. I would of bet a paycheck the
shaft would of broke at the ends, where there glued in.
Even running out the back it didnt have any viberation. Not any. At 125mph at 6200rpm it didnt at all.
When it broke, it was all at once. POW,,,, Just hate to buzz the motor like that. UUggggg
FT

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Called Drive Shaft Shop today and they said my DS was in line for balancing.
I just opened my Email and seen its been shiped ups.
Be here on wedsday.
Now I can make the last weekend or two, to race.
Great service by team DSS
FlatTop

1 - 20 of 32 Posts