Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking of buying a ScatPack. My first goal would to reduce weight by getting carbon fiber parts.
Are there any good online dealers that offer carbon fiber kits for a reasonable price?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Carbon fiber is the most expensive way to reduce weight. No bargain hunting on this way to reduce weight.Best company for purchase of challenger parts is AndersonComposites.com just be sitting down when pricing out parts.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Far as I know , the hood and the deck lid are already aluminum. Weight savings will be minimal to none for a huge price.
There are MANY other ways to cut weight. A lithium battery alone is worth a solid 50lbs cut. The trunk matt and pump will shed some weight also ~20lbs. A pair of braum or other racing seats is good for a 70 lbs drop. Aluminum bumper supports lose about 20lbs each (front/rear). Lose the front sway bar for another 20lbs. Rear seat delete for about 40lbs. A custom exhaust can lose some decent weight as well. The list goes on and on :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,925 Posts
Think with the Anderson carbon fiber hood, roof, deck lid and doors you will save 150 lbs. But yeah, the cost is up there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,381 Posts
Shame these carbon fiber parts are so brutally expensive. Sad, really. We've become a little spoiled in the way that new technology tends to come down in price over time: especially with electronics. Carbon fiber: not so. Great stuff but so very expensive.
Consider this: for most of us, going on a diet can save some big pounds. And since eating less costs less this is a win/win.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,110 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Not much bang for the buck there. I would consider a rear seat delete kit and Arc Angel battery for starters. Not for most but I'm going with an aluminum block build. Should take about 140 lbs. off the nose.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Interior and seats is a big one, you can also buy lighter wheels and brakes which help the rotating mass so XXX. Carbon driveshaft is about half the weight of the factory one. Carbon Fiber just isnt worth the rattle, poor fitment, and cost. IMO

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interior and seats is a big one, you can also buy lighter wheels and brakes which help the rotating mass so XXX. Carbon driveshaft is about half the weight of the factory one. Carbon Fiber just isnt worth the rattle, poor fitment, and cost. IMO
I heard that the Brembo brakes are actually quite heavy?

·
Registered
15,925 Posts
Beautiful car! Around how much is Anderson asking for their kit?
They've got some prices on their site, hood $1400, decklid $1000, doors $3800 it adds up. Dry carbon is what you want for weight savings.

·
Registered
15,925 Posts
is "dry carbon" what it's called, or is that some other version of carbon fiber?
This is how Anderson explained in it:

"Dry carbon fiber has resin in the fabric, so yes, less resin. The part is then heated and pressurized in an autoclave. This process makes the component more rigid and lighter. All of our hoods have an "A" side and a "B" side. The B side is the back and is the structural component in most cases, like an OE hood. The more structure or skeleton you remove will just make the hood more flexible - not really an improvement. As example of our Demon OE hood in dry carbon, we reduced weight from factory unit by approximately 10 lbs. and kept the structure on the backside."

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is how Anderson explained in it:

"Dry carbon fiber has resin in the fabric, so yes, less resin. The part is then heated and pressurized in an autoclave. This process makes the component more rigid and lighter. All of our hoods have an "A" side and a "B" side. The B side is the back and is the structural component in most cases, like an OE hood. The more structure or skeleton you remove will just make the hood more flexible - not really an improvement. As example of our Demon OE hood in dry carbon, we reduced weight from factory unit by approximately 10 lbs. and kept the structure on the backside."

oh okay, it sounds like maybe fiberglass doors might be a more less expensive option....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts