Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new Scat Pack that got here in February. I've really been enjoying the car, and people compliment it every time I stop somewhere.

I think I optioned it fairly nicely...

Automatic
F8
Black RT Sidestripes
Plus Pkg
Alpine Audio
Nav
Driver Convenience
Mopar Interior Appearance Group
AND... the Carbon/Suede Interior Package.

I picked the carbon/suede package simply because I thought the silver bezels looked cheap. On Gen3 Chargers, if you got the base model coupe, it had that cheesy silver instrument cluster. All models above that came with the fake wood grain. So the silver dash in the 2020 Challenger kinda reminded me of those Charger "Coupes" back in the day.

The carbon dash is very attractive. Adds a nice touch. But why is this so expensive? The suede headliner is nice, too, and I am really glad I opted for this package. But why is it that this option costs as much as the automatic transmission??? Is there something really that special about the carbon fiber inserts that I just don't know about?

I feel like they should have combined the Mopar Interior Appearance Group and Carbon Suede Group and charge the $1595 for all of it. That would seem more sensible.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I have my Scat almost optioned the same way. No appearance group , but I have everything that comes with it, so I'm trying to figure what happened at the factory. No stripes or carbon, but have all your other options. I think you did well with the options. $1,600 for the carbon package? I would have passed. Others may like that look more than me and think the price was well worth it. I agree with you about combining the 2 packages. That would seem more reasonable.

Need more pics of the Charger sitting in the garage!

·
Registered
14,837 Posts
But why is this so expensive? The suede headliner is nice, too, and I am really glad I opted for this package. But why is it that this option costs as much as the automatic transmission?
This is how they make it all work. They keep the base price low and virtually the same year after year then make it back up with these high markup options. Same reason a sunroof on an SXT was $1195 but on a Demon it was $5000, they figured the ones that really wanted it would pay.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,547 Posts
I ordered a new Scat Pack that got here in February. I've really been enjoying the car, and people compliment it every time I stop somewhere.

I think I optioned it fairly nicely...

Automatic
F8
Black RT Sidestripes
Plus Pkg
Alpine Audio
Nav
Driver Convenience
Mopar Interior Appearance Group
AND... the Carbon/Suede Interior Package.

I picked the carbon/suede package simply because I thought the silver bezels looked cheap. On Gen3 Chargers, if you got the base model coupe, it had that cheesy silver instrument cluster. All models above that came with the fake wood grain. So the silver dash in the 2020 Challenger kinda reminded me of those Charger "Coupes" back in the day.

The carbon dash is very attractive. Adds a nice touch. But why is this so expensive? The suede headliner is nice, too, and I am really glad I opted for this package. But why is it that this option costs as much as the automatic transmission??? Is there something really that special about the carbon fiber inserts that I just don't know about?

I feel like they should have combined the Mopar Interior Appearance Group and Carbon Suede Group and charge the $1595 for all of it. That would seem more sensible.

View attachment 992260 View attachment 992261 View attachment 992262 View attachment 992263
Nice choices here! Enjoy it!

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
its actual carbon fiber, so there are the costs around that. The option probably won't be a common one - and probably not a lot of cost recouped - if I were ordering a car, I'd have it - its a nice feature that adds that bit extra premium feature

Reactions: Yellow Jacket 2012

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack; 2018 SXT
53 Posts
Nicely optioned!
Before I ordered my 2019, I heard the 2020's were coming with this suede headliner and carbon package. I almost waited on my order due to this packing thinking it was going to be standard on a Scat. I'm glad I didn't wait! $1600 is not worth it to me, but for someone who's loves it, considering it's supposedly real carbon, doesn't seem overly priced actually, plus you get the suede headliner too. Just curious, with the suede headliner are the sun visors also in suede?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is how they make it all work. They keep the base price low and virtually the same year after year then make it back up with these high markup options. Same reason a sunroof on an SXT was $1195 but on a Demon it was $5000, they figured the ones that really wanted it would pay.
I had noticed how certain features differed in price depending on which model it was being applied to... even though they were the exact same item. Seems I recall the sunroof being one that stood out.

The option probably won't be a common one - and probably not a lot of cost recouped
I thought the same thing. It would make the car a little more unique being that most people would not order this. I also think it's something that you likely wouldn't find on the lot already... especially where I bought mine. Most of the Challengers/Chargers on this lot have just a few options. The bulk of them are V6 models. They typically have one RT, one Scat, and one Hellcat at any given time. Out of all those cars, perhaps one or two were optioned the same or more than mine. Most of the others are pretty plain jane by my standards. I figure that it's most likely if a car had the carbon/suede, the customer ordered it that way.

Just curious, with the suede headliner are the sun visors also in suede?
Yep! Sure are! Suede goes down the A-pillar posts as well. Don't remember if it went down the C-pillars... I only got in the back seat once so far.

No stripes or carbon, but have all your other options...

Need more pics of the Charger sitting in the garage!
Getting the side stripes was something that I figured wouldn't be seen on a Scat very often. Maybe I'm wrong, but so far I haven't seen any other Scats with the RT stripes. My last two Challengers were both RT Classic models... so they came with the stripes. I had a '14 Jazz Blue with black stripes, and a '16 Plum Crazy with black stripes. I got kinda used to them, and was glad I could include them with this car. I think they're pretty badass looking with the dark green!

The Charger... it's a 71 SE with some good options for the time...
383 4 bbl N code
727 HD automatic with slapstick and console
3.23 rear gears
15" Rallye Wheels
AC, PS, PB
Hood pins
Bucket seats
Rear window defogger
AM radio with Stereo Cassette Recorder (just installed new drive belts in it and changed some capacitors)
SE package with typical items such as extra trim, insulation, light package, concealed headlights, rallye dash w/tach, front stabilizer bar, vinyl top (original)

The only thing that I think is missing from the car is the rear luggage rack that would have been on the trunk. Both the fender tag and the broadcast sheet list M91- luggage rack... but it's not there. And while that would have been a rare item to see on a sporty looking Charger, I am glad that it's missing!

I've had the car for a little over a year. Came from Colorado. I flew there and drove it back home to East Texas. Made the trip pretty good. At 11 mpg, I had to make quite a few stops. The car was original to an elderly couple. You can tell it was well cared for. When the husband passed away a few years ago, the car was sold to a dealer and then I bought it. The dealer freshened it up quite nicely. The car had 76,000 miles on it when I got it. It just turned 80k a month ago. The original paper work shows the address of the couple that bought it, and I discovered that the wife still resides at that same address in Denver today.

Just so happens, my little brother drives a 16 Scat Charger... and my mom drives a 65 Mustang. When we all gather at my parents' house, their driveway attracts the attention of everyone driving by. Most of the time, we'll park his 16 Charger and my 71 Charger nose to nose in front of the house.

This was our cars a few years ago when I had the 16 Challenger...

The 14 model... my first one...

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I had noticed how certain features differed in price depending on which model it was being applied to... even though they were the exact same item. Seems I recall the sunroof being one that stood out.

I thought the same thing. It would make the car a little more unique being that most people would not order this. I also think it's something that you likely wouldn't find on the lot already... especially where I bought mine. Most of the Challengers/Chargers on this lot have just a few options. The bulk of them are V6 models. They typically have one RT, one Scat, and one Hellcat at any given time. Out of all those cars, perhaps one or two were optioned the same or more than mine. Most of the others are pretty plain jane by my standards. I figure that it's most likely if a car had the carbon/suede, the customer ordered it that way.

Yep! Sure are! Suede goes down the A-pillar posts as well. Don't remember if it went down the C-pillars... I only got in the back seat once so far.

Getting the side stripes was something that I figured wouldn't be seen on a Scat very often. Maybe I'm wrong, but so far I haven't seen any other Scats with the RT stripes. My last two Challengers were both RT Classic models... so they came with the stripes. I had a '14 Jazz Blue with black stripes, and a '16 Plum Crazy with black stripes. I got kinda used to them, and was glad I could include them with this car. I think they're pretty badass looking with the dark green!

383 4 bbl N code
3.23 rear gears
15" Rallye Wheels
AC, PS, PB
Hood pins
Bucket seats
Rear window defogger
AM radio with Stereo Cassette Recorder (just installed new drive belts in it and changed some capacitors)
SE package with typical items such as extra trim, insulation, light package, concealed headlights, rallye dash w/tach, front stabilizer bar, vinyl top (original)

The only thing that I think is missing from the car is the rear luggage rack that would have been on the trunk. Both the fender tag and the broadcast sheet list M91- luggage rack... but it's not there. And while that would have been a rare item to see on a sporty looking Charger, I am glad that it's missing!

I've had the car for a little over a year. Came from Colorado. I flew there and drove it back home to East Texas. Made the trip pretty good. At 11 mpg, I had to make quite a few stops. The car was original to an elderly couple. You can tell it was well cared for. When the husband passed away a few years ago, the car was sold to a dealer and then I bought it. The dealer freshened it up quite nicely. The car had 76,000 miles on it when I got it. It just turned 80k a month ago. The original paper work shows the address of the couple that bought it, and I discovered that the wife still resides at that same address in Denver today.
View attachment 992296 View attachment 992297

Just so happens, my little brother drives a 16 Scat Charger... and my mom drives a 65 Mustang. When we all gather at my parents' house, their driveway attracts the attention of everyone driving by. Most of the time, we'll park his 16 Charger and my 71 Charger nose to nose in front of the house.

View attachment 992298

The 14 model... my first one...
View attachment 992299

Thanks for sharing! I like reading stories like yours.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
153 Posts
Charlie14 - Nice looking Charger SE! Great find!

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
2,234 Posts
Congratulations. It looks great! Since it was something you like and wanted anyway I think it was better that you got the carbon fiber/suede now and not regret it later. In my opinion, it's not really a cheap car to begin with so why not. ;) That '71 Charger SE is a beauty too. (y)

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
383 4 bbl N code
3.23 rear gears
15" Rallye Wheels
AC, PS, PB
Hood pins
Bucket seats
Rear window defogger

View attachment 992296 View attachment 992297

That Charger practically has every option available on a '71, except for the sunroof. That option cost more than A/C did, which at the time was the most expensive option, other than the 426 Hemi (was avail on a '71)

the only engine options beyond the N code 383-4bbl would have been 440-4bbl, 440-6bbl or 426 Hemi and of course they offered the 4 -speed, but if you wanted A/C the "top" engine option was 440-4bbl & Torqueflite.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I hated the bland, gray trim panel inserts so much I was seriously considering just painting them black. But in the end, I decided to pay the price. I just had to have the carbon fiber, and the suede headliner does look awesome - a real pitch black. But yes, it's RIDICULOUSLY overpriced.
The one thing I noticed when building was that if you chose the plus package (leather interior, which I absolutely had to have), it "grays out", or removes the option, of the "Interior Appearance Package". That seemed rathy silly. So when I ordered, I left that out, and planned on just ordering the appearance package later. I'll be ordering that soon, because hey, I want everything! Nothing wrong with having a second set of mats, and I assume the "appearance" ones will be a little nicer with a logo.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The one thing I noticed when building was that if you chose the plus package (leather interior, which I absolutely had to have), it "grays out", or removes the option, of the "Interior Appearance Package". That seemed rathy silly. So when I ordered, I left that out, and planned on just ordering the appearance package later. I'll be ordering that soon, because hey, I want everything!
Before making your order, talk to the dealership first. I experienced the same thing... choose one package, and the site would remove certain other packages. The guy that makes the order... I guess he's the General Sales Manager... tell him what you want and he can make it happen. My guy printed up the options code sheet they use for ordering and told me "this is everything available." I asked him about the packages that were "grayed out" on the Build & Price site and he said not to worry... he could order it the way I wanted.

The dealership I buy from... this is my 3rd Challenger, and my parents and siblings also buy there. They treat us pretty good and are straight-up about everything.... no BS. So when he told me I could get both those packages, even though they website didn't want to do it, he was right. Sent me a verification of the order with all the options I asked for. So check with your guy.

Back when I bought my first Challenger in '14, I had visited a dealership closer to my house. The salesman I ended up talking to... OMG what a bull-sh!tt*r! This dude was a complete schmo! As our talks progressed and he was supposedly setting up my order, I discovered he had no freaking clue of what he was talking about, and was just blowing smoke up my a$$ the whole time. When he finally got around to setting up the order for what I wanted many weeks later, I realized he was doing it for the wrong car! So I hand-wrote a letter pointing out he was nothing more than a professional bullshitter, that he was clueless, and I was going to the dealer in the next town. Sent it to both him and the GSM of that dealership. After buying the car down farther down the street, there was a questionnaire Chrysler sent me. One of the things they asked was why I picked the dealer that I bought from. They pointed out that based on my address, there was a dealer much closer. I basically told them the same thing I had written in that letter... that the guy that was closer was just a waste of my time.

The people I've dealt with since then... they've always been great! If I have questions about certain things concerning the car I want, they get me answers right then. When I walk in that place, at least 3 or 4 different people greet me by name, and at least one gives me a hug! When I ordered my '16 R/T, I couldn't make up my mind on Plum Crazy or B5... mostly because I hadn't seen a Plum Crazy in person... I had only seen them in pictures. Those folks were nice enough to order TWO cars with the options I wanted... but one in blue and the other in purple. They gave me the choice when they got there, and I picked the purple, then they put the other car on the lot to sell. I thought that was a really cool thing they did.

If you have a good dealership with good people, they can really make your buying experience a nice one!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I hear yeah on how expensive the Carbon/Headliner option is. But it looks incredible and much better then the Stock Plastic. For the Money I'm on the fence if I'm gonna get it or not. I was thinking maybe I just buy the Carbon Fiber replacement parts down the road and install them myself. I could care less about the head liner.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,608 Posts

·
Registered
14,837 Posts
No to highjack - but my '16 has sort of a honeycomb design. IMO it is more attractive than the silver on the newer cars. Was this standard or part of a package?
I think the Hectic Mesh came on the Leather package?

View attachment 1000176

A Guy
Yes, the Hectic Mesh came with leather or leather/alcantara, very nice.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: A Guy

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
I think the Hectic Mesh came on the Leather package? Possibly SPAG

View attachment 1000176

A Guy
that correct the Plus Interior Group / Leather Interior Grp had Hectic Mesh bezels (exc. Hellcat)

other models had Dark Brushed Aluminum trim

those bezels are aluminum over a reinforced plastic base, not plastic like the '08 - '14 bezels are

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,608 Posts
My 2016 SXT Plus came with Hectic Mesh stock, but the Blacktop package switched it to the Dark Brushed...which I actually preferred. 3 styles that year depending on trim/packages. Dark Brushed, Hectic Mesh, and the Engine Turned (Hellcat). I believe Plus cars (SXT, R/T) got the Hectic Mesh unless overridden by packages

A Guy

·
Registered
75 Posts
Before making your order, talk to the dealership first. I experienced the same thing... choose one package, and the site would remove certain other packages. The guy that makes the order... I guess he's the General Sales Manager... tell him what you want and he can make it happen. My guy printed up the options code sheet they use for ordering and told me "this is everything available." I asked him about the packages that were "grayed out" on the Build & Price site and he said not to worry... he could order it the way I wanted.

The dealership I buy from... this is my 3rd Challenger, and my parents and siblings also buy there. They treat us pretty good and are straight-up about everything.... no BS. So when he told me I could get both those packages, even though they website didn't want to do it, he was right. Sent me a verification of the order with all the options I asked for. So check with your guy.

Back when I bought my first Challenger in '14, I had visited a dealership closer to my house. The salesman I ended up talking to... OMG what a bull-sh!tt*r! This dude was a complete schmo! As our talks progressed and he was supposedly setting up my order, I discovered he had no freaking clue of what he was talking about, and was just blowing smoke up my a$$ the whole time. When he finally got around to setting up the order for what I wanted many weeks later, I realized he was doing it for the wrong car! So I hand-wrote a letter pointing out he was nothing more than a professional bullshitter, that he was clueless, and I was going to the dealer in the next town. Sent it to both him and the GSM of that dealership. After buying the car down farther down the street, there was a questionnaire Chrysler sent me. One of the things they asked was why I picked the dealer that I bought from. They pointed out that based on my address, there was a dealer much closer. I basically told them the same thing I had written in that letter... that the guy that was closer was just a waste of my time.

The people I've dealt with since then... they've always been great! If I have questions about certain things concerning the car I want, they get me answers right then. When I walk in that place, at least 3 or 4 different people greet me by name, and at least one gives me a hug! When I ordered my '16 R/T, I couldn't make up my mind on Plum Crazy or B5... mostly because I hadn't seen a Plum Crazy in person... I had only seen them in pictures. Those folks were nice enough to order TWO cars with the options I wanted... but one in blue and the other in purple. They gave me the choice when they got there, and I picked the purple, then they put the other car on the lot to sell. I thought that was a really cool thing they did.

If you have a good dealership with good people, they can really make your buying experience a nice one!
That's great, and excellent reply there. I had a feeling you could do that. Not a problem tho, I'll be getting those door sills and mats fairly soon. I chose a salesman based on feedback from friends, and he turned out great. Didn't even try to BS me about anything.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts