Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a used Challenger Hellcat for sale at a FCA dealership near me that has been sitting there for a while. I checked the CarFax and see that within the two years the car was owned (single) it had a number of service visits, including two stated as “PCM Reprogrammed” (one of which added “instrument cluster reprogrammed”). I’m not serious enough about the car to pay for an Auto Check or another history report, but I’m curious if anyone knows if this PCM reprogramming is something to run away from just by itself.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
580 Posts
That could just be their way of saying the regular software update was done as a routine service procedure. Or it could mean trouble. I would ask the service department. Let us know what you find out.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
At times there were various reflashes for the A8 that affected '15/'16 models - the early '15s had some issues with IP clusters flickering or going out intermittently.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. This is a six speed, not sure how much of a difference this makes.

I’m tempted to consider this car more seriously, as it has 10k miles, is spotless, and its been sitting there for a long time. They’ve dropped the price quite a bit but I imagine they’re willing to go lower to just get rid of it. Its not my ideal Hellcat color scheme but, what the hell, it is a Hellcat. :)

·
Premium Member
9,660 Posts
Someone didn’t want it for some good reason and it’s been sitting is reason number 2 to be hesitant.
Remember the saying, if it seems too good to be true.....

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
Someone didn’t want it for some good reason and it’s been sitting is reason number 2 to be hesitant.
Remember the saying, if it seems too good to be true.....
That depends on many factors.

My SP was sitting on a dealership lot for nearly a year despite the prices dipped into the brand new R/T plus price range, and etc. I think of a good reason why it sat in there too long because no one wants to own a purple-colored car. Too bold for many people as they prefer black, silver, or white colors instead, I guess. I was very lucky scoring a great steal, I admit.

·
Premium Member
9,660 Posts
Plum Crazy like my Stinger Yellow is what makes these cars appealing, it’s all about being bold. The term high impact colors says it all.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
Plum Crazy like my Stinger Yellow is what makes these cars appealing, it’s all about being bold. The term high impact colors says it all.
I think that outdated term of the 1970s should be updated to the new term of 2010s, head-turning colors. :icon_lol:

·
Registered
96 Posts
The main reason it was probably setting is the fact that it is a 6 speed. There are several for sale in my area that are the same way regardless of the color. As far as the PCM being flashed it could be a simple as a TSB or similar issue. Our Scat was re-flashed the first time we changed the oil at 500 miles. At any rate as new as it is it probably still has a warranty.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Quote: "Its not my ideal Hellcat color scheme but, what the hell, it is a hellcat. :) " Quote

IMO, color is the most important option on a car like a Challenger. If you're spending money like that for a HC, and it's not a color that you're in love with, then I just don't what to say.....................other than you're content getting into any HC CHEAPLY! LOL

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
There is a used Challenger Hellcat for sale at a FCA dealership near me that has been sitting there for a while. I checked the CarFax and see that within the two years the car was owned (single) it had a number of service visits, including two stated as “PCM Reprogrammed” (one of which added “instrument cluster reprogrammed”). I’m not serious enough about the car to pay for an Auto Check or another history report, but I’m curious if anyone knows if this PCM reprogramming is something to run away from just by itself.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
The used car game is a gamble...btw your son is the star of your YouTube channel, he is awesome smart with MOPAR knowledge, geez.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote: "Its not my ideal Hellcat color scheme but, what the hell, it is a hellcat. :) " Quote

IMO, color is the most important option on a car like a Challenger. If you're spending money like that for a HC, and it's not a color that you're in love with, then I just don't what to say.....................other than you're content getting into any HC CHEAPLY! LOL
I hear ya, but with quality of vinyls wraps these days, its not a deal maker/breaker like it used to be

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: I went and looked at it today just for s’s and giggles. Started it up, popped the hood and found out right away why its been sitting so long... the supercharger bearings are going. I took a video and shared it with a couple Hellcat owners I know to get their opinions and they confirmed. The car is a ‘15, purchased in Dec of ‘14 so the 3/36 warranty period just ended. Bum out, because the sales manager offered me a really good price for my 392 and is clearly ready to get rid of it. Now I know why. They’re supposed to call me later after they talk talk to GM but unless that problem is resolved, I’ve got no interest. I”m not holding my breath.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Update: I went and looked at it today just for s’s and giggles. Started it up, popped the hood and found out right away why its been sitting so long... the supercharger bearings are going. I took a video and shared it with a couple Hellcat owners I know to get their opinions and they confirmed. The car is a ‘15, purchased in Dec of ‘14 so the 3/36 warranty period just ended. Bum out, because the sales manager offered me a really good price for my 392 and is clearly ready to get rid of it. Now I know why. They’re supposed to call me later after they talk talk to GM but unless that problem is resolved, I’ve got no interest. I”m not holding my breath.
5/60 powertrain warranty my man. This would be covered and its a non-issue. I know several locally that have had blowers replaced. Its not any more complicated than a water pump or alternator to be swapped out. This is not like pulling an engine. If its cheap enough, I'd get it. Buy an extended warranty for the rest of the car if it bothers you.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The main reason it was probably setting is the fact that it is a 6 speed. There are several for sale in my area that are the same way regardless of the color. As far as the PCM being flashed it could be a simple as a TSB or similar issue. Our scat was re-flashed the first time we changed the oil at 500 miles. At any rate as new as it is it probably still has a warranty.
Agree, there's one in my local Dodge dealer for almost a year and a half sitting in the showroom. It's a 6sp Billet Silver. I was almost going to swap out my 2016 SPS since it was the same color and my wife wouldn't have known the difference but it was a 6sp.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
The '15s have 5yr / 100k power train warranty - so S/C would be covered under that. FCA dealer should be aware of that

'16+ went to 5yr / 60k power train warranty

The bearing issue turned up on '15s and some early '16s until the bearing redesign was in production.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
The '15s have 5yr / 100k power train warranty - so S/C would be covered under that. FCA dealer should be aware of that

'16+ went to 5yr / 60k power train warranty

The bearing issue turned up on '15s and some early '16s until the bearing redesign was in production.
My '15 R/T has 9k on it, I better drive the crap out of it over the summer so if something is going to fail it will within the warranty. >:)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts