Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Just finished up installing my new CardID basic interior kit in my SRT-8 Challenger. It definitely adds much more "pop" to the interior in my opinion. And I promise it matches the exterior paint better than the picture gives credit for. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
Wow really does make it stand out. How easy was the install? Cost on something like that?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Looks really nice - that orange does compliment the interior well. I did a black CF kit in mine - totally agree, it adds some well-needed visual stimulation to the otherwise monotone interior. I think the interior of the Challenger is very well laid out - functional, not too busy, etc. It just needs a little additional accent in the areas the kit covers. There are so many offerings in the CalID line, the color/material options allow for some nice customization.

Toupare17 - easy install (the pieces just stick on). Take your time and line them up properly (recommended test fitting first). Once aligned, you'll need to take some time an slowly burnish them down to get a good "seat" as well as get the pieces down around any contoured areas.

Before you start sticking pieces on, make sure the surface is clean and free of any oils, waxes, etc. The kit comes with alcohol pads for this, as well as an adhesive promotor. Also, its best if the ambient temp is at least 60 degrees, as this also promotes adhesion as well as assists in getting the pieces seated well on contoured areas.

Cost varies a bit depending on the size (number of pieces) you get - but its not too expensive. Most of the kits have a very high gloss finish - the exceptions being the brushed stainless and aluminum kits, so just be aware of that.

Here's a link where you can check out what they have. If you click on a particular kit, the schematic will open and you can see what pieces are in which kits. I found it to be a nice upgrade for the interior. Attached a couple pics of mine FYI.

That orange looks really nice though!

Dodge Challenger Wood Grain | Challenger Wood Dash Kits

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
These kits look great. Another item to add to my future mods list!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah installation is a cinch, just take your time and get everything lined up correctly. Price for the basic kit is about $140

And I am really liking the look of those door accents, HemiFan. I may have to get some of those down the road.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Kits vary in price from 140-300+ depending on what optional kits you buy with it. I love my woodgrain kit, really makes a difference from the basic black dash and interior that comes in the challengers. I always get lots of compliments on mine at shows.

·
Registered
389 Posts
And I am really liking the look of those door accents, HemiFan. I may have to get some of those down the road.
Thanks - you can order the two long door trim pieces separately. I wasn't too sure at first (thought it might be too much), but figured I'd give it a try. After they were on I liked the way it finished everything off. It would really pop in orange for sure.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i got basic kit plus overhead add on in carbon fiber. All i can say is wow im impressed. Easy to install just make shure you prep like the instructions tell you. Added that pop everyone is talking about and its just what i needed on the inside. Dont hesitate order yours today. Took about 4 weeks to get my carid kit in but it was well worth the wait.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
looks like a nice install job

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
These look like interesting kits to do. I had seen them on CarID last year when I was checking out a number of the various mod sites.

I have three questions for everyone that has a kit installed, whether interior or exterior:

1. How hard are these to get off or can they even be pulled off?
    It sounds like the pieces are made of a "vinyl" type component and stuck over the existing dash/buttons/etc.
  2. If you can peel these off does the adhesive that is used mar or damage in any way the original pieces?
  3. How do you care for these pieces? What products do you use?
Thanks for any and all answers.

·
Registered
389 Posts
These look like interesting kits to do. I had seen them on CarID last year when I was checking out a number of the various mod sites.

I have three questions for everyone that has a kit installed, whether interior or exterior:

It sounds like the pieces are made of a "vinyl" type component and stuck over the existing dash/buttons/etc.
  2. If you can peel these off does the adhesive that is used mar or damage in any way the original pieces?
1. They can be removed pretty easy, but recommend doing it in warmer temps as the pieces are more pliable. They do have 3M tape on the back, and do fit over existing trim ("stick ons" is probably the best way to describe them).

2. They can be removed without damaging what's underneath - but do it carefully - slow, deliberate. Again, best when the ambient temp is pretty warm. I've replaced a couple of pieces that got accidentally nicked or scratched in other cars I've owned - never had any damage underneath. Might have some slight residue from the tape (won't see it - it just feels a little sticky), but that cleans up easy with alcohol.

3. I just wipe them down with a damp cloth. They have this resin like clear coat (very shiny stuff), so it wipes down easy. If you have anything stubborn on a piece, a dab of windex works.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Question-

How long did it take for CarId to deliver your order? I had a kit on order and finally had to cancel the order based on delivery times, wondering if maybe it was just because of the color I ordered (Dark Blue/Carbon Fiber)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Thanks for the answers HemiFan. I now understand more about these so can make a better informed decision. I don't want to make any mistakes with my girl as I plan on keeping her forever..........have to treat her right so she treats me right.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
When i installed mine, i had pieces on that i thought i didn't care for when i put them on, and a week or two later pulled them off, you can remove them, just pull slowly, and it helps if the surface is warm so they are flexible. I did not see any adhesive stuck to the surface after removing them. Too many on and off situations will make it less sticky from picking up some dust but you can usually readjust items a couple times without an issue.

As far as turnaround time, it took about 3 to 4 weeks for the package to arrive when i ordered it. A little longer than i expected but when it came i got everything i ordered and it looked great. i've decided to add the door kit so may be ordering more in the near future...depending on if my other emblems don't cost too much.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Has anyone installed a real brushed aluminum kit from CARID? I'm thinking of getting it, but I'd like to see it on someone's car first.

Thanks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Question-

How long did it take for CarId to deliver your order? I had a kit on order and finally had to cancel the order based on delivery times, wondering if maybe it was just because of the color I ordered (Dark Blue/Carbon Fiber)

Thanks
About 2, maybe 3 weeks tops.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm going to be straight forward and say that the vinyl pieces are attached pretty dang well. They are made to be sure to not ever move around or get loose in the summer heat. I have not discussed or attempted to remove them, but if I had to guess I would say that they could definitely be removed from the car if needed. The worst situation would be that they might leave behind some residue, but probably not anything that couldn't be removed with some citrus infused cleaner. So far, I have just been using some Armor All interior detailing wipes with very nice results. The pieces hold their shine very well and a week later from the installation have not moved or become dull, etc. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
"Has anyone installed a real brushed aluminum kit from CARID? I'm thinking of getting it, but I'd like to see it on someone's car first."

I put in a lot of the "Stainless" pieces, is that what you were wondering about?

·
Registered
29 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.