Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if anyone has done a premium carnauba wax over the Z-2 Pro polish from Zaino.

I have personally always preferred a paste canauba and I've recently purchased a Zaino kit. I was wondering if it still makes sense to use a premium Wax like Pinnacle Souverän over the Z-2 polish or if it was counter productive for Zaino maintenance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've found a related thread HERE but I'm still interested in input.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
A couple of things.... As you probably know, Zaino sealants (i.e. z2, Z5, Z-CS) require a clean surface according to Sal for best performance. Adding a carnauba over your Z2 is fine but it may cause issues for any subsequent applications of Z2 or some of the other Zaino products in the future (without first being stripped off).

Another thing to consider are solvent carriers found in many carnauba waxes. These solvents are what keep the product in its packaged state and make it "workable". They can also (not necessarily intentionally) have a cleaning affect on the finish and any product the wax is applied over. In other words, there is a chance by applying a carnauba that you may compromise the protection/characteristics of your Z2.

Just some thoughts that came to mind and that you might want to consider. Personally, I stopped topping products a few years ago and simply started using products that met most of my needs. I understand some folks don't like the plastic-like look of some sealants, but there a lot of them out there that may just get you closer to that warm look your going for. ....just another option.

In either case, you could always do a test panel to compare to the rest of the car. ....worse case scenario is that you strip the one panel (using something like odorless mineral spirits) and start over with the Z2.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback, I had considered the 'cleaning' effect myself but I think if applied lightly (properly) and the Z-2 was given ample time to cure that probably isn't an issue.

One of my concerns as you mentioned is the maintenance of the Z-2. Doing a full strip down before the re-application of Zaino doesn't sound to appealing, however, I also wonder if the Carnauba is maintained properly that you really wouldn't need to re-apply any of the Zaino until you felt a full strip down was in order.

Does UV break down the Z-2? If the Z-2 is never exposed to the elements and protected by the Carnauba would it in theory stay on the car for an exceptionally long time?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
My advice is to do the Zaino treatment and then decide if you want to even bother with wax. Zaino is a very durable polish with high quality optical depth & shine. Can't see why you would want to wax over it IMOHO.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
My advice is to do the Zaino treatment and then decide if you want to even bother with wax. Zaino is a very durable polish with high quality optical depth & shine. Can't see why you would want to wax over it IMOHO.
....a commonly discussed trait of Zaino is the reflective, shiny, shell-like finish it provides. It is a signature characteristic shared among some other sealants as well. ….and one that some folks simply don't like. They may tend to prefer a deep, wet, warm glow of a carnauba instead. In either case “topping” sealants with a carnauba or “beautifying” wax is nothing new. That’s not to say one look is better than the other and it can also depend on the application (i.e. color of the vehicle, contours, etc.)

IMO/IME, the final result relies heavily/mostly on the preparation of the finish prior to the application of the sealant/wax. That is where you will notice the biggest improvement.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, I had considered the 'cleaning' effect myself but I think if applied lightly (properly) and the Z-2 was given ample time to cure that probably isn't an issue.

One of my concerns as you mentioned is the maintenance of the Z-2. Doing a full strip down before the re-application of Zaino doesn't sound to appealing, however, I also wonder if the Carnauba is maintained properly that you really wouldn't need to re-apply any of the Zaino until you felt a full strip down was in order.

Does UV break down the Z-2? If the Z-2 is never exposed to the elements and protected by the Carnauba would it in theory stay on the car for an exceptionally long time?

Thanks!
….perhaps. Sounds reasonable, right? ....although I’m not a chemist and couldn’t tell you what reaction the layer of Z2 would have even with the carnauba on top when exposed UV rays, the elements, various cleaning agents used during washing/maintenance or even how Z2 may degrade on its own (or through the layer of carnauba). My guess is that there are several factors involved. Something else to consider is that if you are keeping the carnauba layer regularly maintained, it sort of makes having an underlying product a moot point IMO (although I guess it can be argued that it may create an additional "sacrificial layer" against damage from contaminants).

As for the solvents, abrasion wasn't really the mechanism I was thinking of in my concern. I was thinking more along the lines of the “dissolving” affect of the solvents as they flash-off during application. Subsequent applications could possibly keep dissolving any underlying product. ….one reason why products like these can not be realistically “layered” on themselves regardless. My personal opinion (these days) is that if a product needs to be “topped” to suit my needs, it’s simply not worth my time. I would rather have a product that can deliver in “most” categories I value rather than spending the extra time/effort/complication in my routine. That’s not to say it doesn’t work for some folks, it’s just my personal preference. What matters is folks finding solutions that work for them (whatever that might be).

Perrsonally, I’m really interested in the some of the new semi-permanent/permanent nano-sealants and “coatings” out on the market today. AQuartz, GTechniq and Optimum Opti-Coat are just three that have really caused a buzz in the community relatively recently. ….especially Opti-Coat since it was recently released to the general public (formerly only available to professionals). Definitely not for everyone or every application but certainly interesting nonetheless. I’ll likely be buying Opti-Coat in the coming weeks to test out for myself.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me know how the Opti-Coat works out, I've been eyeballing those products myself. Thanks again for all the feedback! I think I'll just shoot for the Zaino and leave the wax on the shelf for now, see how that pans out.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Let me know how the Opti-Coat works out, I've been eyeballing those products myself.
....will do. I've been trying to read as much as I can about user experiences with the product, etc. Even if I don't end up liking/using it topside, I will probably still use it for wheels and some trim. I have been very impressed so far with its resilience and contaminant shedding ability (better than FK1000P from what I have observed from some testing I've seen).

On a side note, I also have some GTechniq C4 (permanent trim restorer) I recently acquired and will be using/testing on the wife's car (our DD). My initial impressions are good with the limited use I've had with it on some trim from a late model Avalanche. I'll likely start a new thread on the subject when I get a chance to really use it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts