Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2015 Challenger RT. When I bought it she had about 23,000miles. She was perfect so I thought. Turns out she was raced. after figuring out the diff problem by adding friction modifier I still had a vibration. Come to find out there is this chinsey carrier bearing. Further investigation reviled it was shot. All the videos explained you needed to remove the exhaust system. I was able to remove the driveshaft without removing the exhaust. But now I can't figure out how to separate the split shaft. Anyone have any idea how to separate the two pieces?

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
Me thinks its a ONE piece, does not come apart.....................

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,496 Posts
Thanks! Do you have the $1,000 or so to do that? You are also no help what so ever,
Looks like Unicorn may be correct as they do not show it as a separate piece. I could not find you a video on Youtube and you did not state if your car is automatic or manual because the driveshafts are different lengths.

Plus this has been discussed on here, more than once.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
228 Posts
You have to remove the center bearing mount and the splines will pull out of the front section. The center bearing is pressed on the rear section so that's holding you into the front section.

There are skip splines on the sections so you will put the sections back together on the same splines.

Be sure and support either end to avoid letting them dangle their weight on the flex couplers.

You should bite the bullet and pull the exhaust. Its not that bad a job. Good luck.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,496 Posts
You have to remove the center bearing mount and the splines will pull out of the front section. The center bearing is pressed on the rear section so that's holding you into the front section.

There are skip splines on the sections so you will put the sections back together on the same splines.

Be sure and support either end to avoid letting them dangle their weight on the flex couplers.

You should bite the bullet and pull the exhaust. Its not that bad a job. Good luck.

View attachment 1015866
First time I ever saw that.

·
Registered
2015 R/T Manual
23 Posts
Ok so fun fact, mine went out less than a thousand miles ago. So the way it works is Mopar doesn't sell the bearing and i'm pretty sure it's friction welded too. I got out the door with another Mopar 2 piece shaft and $1,200 less in my pocket. Now here is why I didn't go with the one piece, you have to modify the exhaust the most i've done to mine is mid muffler delete and i'm happy with that. So VS changing my whole exhaust setup I gave in and bought the Mopar. It made it 78,000 miles let's hope I can get the same amount of miles out of this one. Good news though the mechanic said that this new shaft could be split up into 2 separate pieces so if it goes out I can just buy parts and replace from what I understood. Sorry to break it to you friend but I couldn't find an easy route out of this one.
P.S my 5 year warranty ran out last January.

·
Registered
2015 R/T Manual
23 Posts
Sure, First time I heard it I was driving home at night, put on the breaks heard a grinding noise from what sounded like under my seat/kinda in the middle console. It was so odd I couldn't put my finger on it thought it could've been something lodged somewhere. But after that It would be once my car heated up and I had been rolling down the road a while you'll just hear this constant grindy noise even when out of gear I put it into neutral at about 55 miles an hour still the same sound. Also when you hit a bridge or a dip in the road you'll hear it kinda jump with the car. Best thing you can do is get it on a lift and if that driveshaft moves around like a limp arm then its most certainly the carrier/center bearing. It gets loud as crap if you slam on the breaks.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sure, First time I heard it I was driving home at night, put on the breaks heard a grinding noise from what sounded like under my seat/kinda in the middle console. It was so odd I couldn't put my finger on it thought it could've been something lodged somewhere. But after that It would be once my car heated up and I had been rolling down the road a while you'll just hear this constant grindy noise even when out of gear I put it into neutral at about 55 miles an hour still the same sound. Also when you hit a bridge or a dip in the road you'll hear it kinda jump with the car. Best thing you can do is get it on a lift and if that driveshaft moves around like a limp arm then its most certainly the carrier/center bearing. It gets loud as crap if you slam on the breaks.
I think mine might be in a VERY early process of going bad. It has similar symptoms. Once I hit about 15 I can hear a grind which I can feel in my pedals and steering wheel. Most people think it's road noise. After about 40 mph it's too hard to hear over exhaust and wind etc. If I slow down I hear it more as well. I can also hear it slow down. It's rpm slows. (Obviously). I took it to a shop and asked them to inspect the driveshaft and rear end. They say it's coming from the rear end but it's nothing to worry about. I think I'm gonna jack it up myself and see what I find. Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
2015 R/T Manual
23 Posts
The vibration I didn't really feel, at least didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. The noise could be heard over the exhaust, wind and even music being played low. I drive with my music up all the way 99% of the time which is probably why I didn't hear any sort of beginning stages of mine. Your driveshaft might not move around as much as mine did because it was basically gone. Not sure what year model you have but I'm thinking the newer cars have a revised shaft that you can buy one half of the thing and replace what is broken. Hope you figure it out

·
Registered
2015 R/T Manual
23 Posts
Thanks man. I got an 11. That's driven hard and has nearly 100knmiles. So I'm not surprised I'm having issues
You might be in luck then. If it is the bearing I think for 2009-2014 Mopar does sell the bearing or at least some Ebay aftermarket company does. You'll have to look deeper into that but you might not be out a grand my friend. Anything to help! Actually surprising to see an 11 with that little of miles on it which, I do drive mine almost every single day, to much fun not to.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
Well me thinks you're wrong. You are no help what so ever.

Thanks! Do you have the $1,000 or so to do that? You are also no help what so ever,

Thanks for being a dick, my car has only 6k miles and NEVER worked on one EVER as I live in two states of TRUCKS only.
Sorry my internets searches did no good for u, maybe U get internet for future dick responses for folks trying to help.

BTW have no internet here, using cell data plan, your welcome

·
Registered
312 Posts
You might be in luck then. If it is the bearing I think for 2009-2014 Mopar does sell the bearing or at least some Ebay aftermarket company does. You'll have to look deeper into that but you might not be out a grand my friend. Anything to help! Actually surprising to see an 11 with that little of miles on it which, I do drive mine almost every single day, to much fun not to.
I'm not even sure if it's the bearing. I've in youtube watching videos for about 2 hours on noises and nothing sounds like what I have. Ill try to record it but it's so hard to hear on the mic. It's driving me insane I don't even want to drive it.

·
Registered
2015 R/T Manual
23 Posts
I'm not even sure if it's the bearing. I've in youtube watching videos for about 2 hours on noises and nothing sounds like what I have. Ill try to record it but it's so hard to hear on the mic. It's driving me insane I don't even want to drive it.
I hate dealerships so I refuse to take mine to a dealer for anything. You're nothing but a dollar sign to them, always take mine to a local shop. Personally I run on the "if it's still working don't worry about it" policy but there does come a point where you've got to figure it out for your own sanity. Like I say I refuse to go to a Dodge but, they do know their cars and they'd be the ones to know what the issue is maybe look into making an appointment. Reason I say that is because noises can be tricky to point out unless you can see where or what is making it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts