Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I sold my 2016 Challenger Scat Pack to Carvana.com on 7/13/2019 for $32,438.00.
My local Dodge dealer had offered me $30,000.00 flat.
When I told him how much Carvana offered me he was surprised and said "Sell it! That's above what I can pay for it."
So, I sold it. They immediately listed it for $36,700.00. A few days later they dropped it about a thousand bucks.
Since then they've dropped it a couple more times and today they have it for $31,600.00... which is less than they paid me!
I find it very interesting that they are selling at a loss, not even counting their overhead.
I haven't looked to see what the car would be selling for around the country.

Here's a link to the car on their website
https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1265995

·
Registered
10,140 Posts
When I told him how much Carvana offered me he was surprised and said "Sell it! That's above what I can pay for it."
So, I sold it. They immediately listed it for $36,700.00. A few days later they dropped it about a thousand bucks.
Since then they've dropped it a couple more times and today they have it for $31,600.00... which is less than they paid me!
I find it very interesting that they are selling at a loss, not even counting their overhead.

Dang, going to miss seeing your B5 around.

Replacing it with anything?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hmm, I don't know anything about how carvana does business but this seems odd. I was going to trade my 2012 for taurus into the dealer for $5000 when my challenger build came in, but I just entered it into carvana and they are offering over $7000? I would have a tough time getting that private party. I may just go that route instead, never even thought about checking them out. Seems like a bad business plan though!

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang, going to miss seeing your B5 around.

Replacing it with anything?
Yeah, it’s a bit weird not having the car and spending too much time here in the forums. I can safely leave all the participation up to you since our taste in cars and ideas seem to be very similar.

I’m actually not buying anything to replace the B5. I have a 2004 Titan that got relegated to the driveway (outside the garage) when I got my first Challenger. It got no love and just say there unless I needed to drive it when it rained to keep from getting the car dirty. The paint took a beating so I decided to put it back into use and had it painted. It only has 81,000 miles and is in excellent condition.

Believe it or not, I had become kinda bored with the car and it wasn’t being driven much so I’m fixing up the Titan and making it my daily.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, I don't know anything about how carvana does business but this seems odd. I was going to trade my 2012 for taurus into the dealer for $5000 when my challenger build came in, but I just entered it into carvana and they are offering over $7000? I would have a tough time getting that private party. I may just go that route instead, never even thought about checking them out. Seems like a bad business plan though!
I would jump all over the Carvana deal! It’s ridiculously easy to sell to them. Takes a few minutes online and then they’ll come and bring you a check, load the car on a rollback, and gone.

I seriously dreaded the process of trying to advertise and sell it myself and Carvana turned out to be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I’ll just buy it myself if they drop it down to $30,000.00.
I would be making $2,400.00 for letting them store it for a short time!

·
Registered
10,140 Posts
Yeah, it’s a bit weird not having the car and spending too much time here in the forums. I can safely leave all the participation up to you since our taste in cars and ideas seem to be very similar.

I’m actually not buying anything to replace the B5. I have a 2004 Titan that got relegated to the driveway (outside the garage) when I got my first Challenger. It got no love and just say there unless I needed to drive it when it rained to keep from getting the car dirty. The paint took a beating so I decided to put it back into use and had it painted. It only has 81,000 miles and is in excellent condition.

Believe it or not, I had become kinda bored with the car and it wasn’t being driven much so I’m fixing up the Titan and making it my daily.
Understand that. It was a LONG Winter here, and it's been a very rainy year. Haven't got mine out the way I'm used to.

Thought about selling it a few times, but the wife cracked me in the head. Settled that thought for now. Lol

Reactions: MrMac

·
Registered
10,140 Posts
I think I’ll just buy it myself if they drop it down to $30,000.00.
I would be making $2,400.00 for letting them store it for a short time!
Heck yes, not a bad idea at all.

Reactions: MrMac

·
Registered
238 Posts
Carmax will often beat a dealer by several thousand dollars, too. The problem in a lot of states is the sales tax- if you don't trade something, you pay tax on the full purchase price and dealers know that. So, Carmax and Carvana pay more for cars, but they also are more expensive to buy from. If you're not going to replace the car, sell it to them, but if you're going to get something else, you lose a lot of money in tax. You just have to do the arithmetic...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Must be all about turning over inventory. They win some and loose some, as long as they win more than they loose. My father recently purchased a 14 Cherokee from Carmax. It was on the lot for 1 day with their no haggle price. After the purchase I did a vin search on it. The previous week Carmax paid $1000 more than they sold it for. I wonder about the formula they use. And they gave him a crazy high trade in value for his 20 year old Gran Marque with a blown engine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Funny thing - the local Mazda dealer here gave me $23,000 for a 2017 Miata Grand Touring on trade for a 2019 - and it is now on their site for $22,xxx - selling it at a loss. I guess in my case, it wasn't a straight up purchase like MrMac, so there had to be some profit somewhere in there, but the new car was below invoice, so there can't be much.

·
Registered
107 Posts

I sold my 2016 B5 Scat Pack to Carvana back in April. Local dealers offered me $27,000. Carvana gave me $30,000 even. They listed it for $35,000 give or take. It sold about a month later for $33,200. Car had only 11,047 miles on it. So I am Challengerless...:cry:

First time I have mentioned I sold it on here, pretty bummed about it. It's a long story but my mom was going to have her septic system replaced. Cost $15,000-$20,000. She couldn't afford it so I decided to sell the Challenger to pay for it. Funny thing is, weeks later the development she lives in was informed they want to go on the local sewer system. So she won't need to have the septic replaced DOH! Oh well, I did pay off a debt I needed paid off. Also, the wife and I put our house up for sale. When it sells we want to purchase my moms house. She'll still live there, good to have a built in baby sitter since we have a little one now.

Once my house sells I can see where I am at. I would love another Challenger, just not sure I would be able to swing it.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I sold my 2016 B5 Scat Pack to Carvana back in April. Local dealers offered me $27,000. Carvana gave me $30,000 even. They listed it for $35,000 give or take. It sold about a month later for $33,200. Car had only 11,047 miles on it. So I am Challengerless...:cry:

First time I have mentioned I sold it on here, pretty bummed about it. It's a long story but my mom was going to have her septic system replaced. Cost $15,000-$20,000. She couldn't afford it so I decided to sell the Challenger to pay for it. Funny thing is, weeks later the development she lives in was informed they want to go on the local sewer system. So she won't need to have the septic replaced DOH! Oh well, I did pay off a debt I needed paid off. Also, the wife and I put our house up for sale. When it sells we want to purchase my moms house. She'll still live there, good to have a built in baby sitter since we have a little one now.

Once my house sells I can see where I am at. I would love another Challenger, just not sure I would be able to swing it.
Wow! What a twist to losing the car! As they say, timing is everything.
But it sounds like you’ll probably work things around to getting another one day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts