Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in an automatic touchless carwash this morning and heard a loud “bang” and the sprayer arm started swinging around wildly as it circled the car.

I can’t leave the wash, because the arm is still moving and I don’t want it to hit the car as I leave, and the longer I’m in there, the more chances there are that it will hit the car anyway. Finally the arm stops moving and the car wash seems to have shut itself down. The car is wet, but not clean. I took my cell phone out and took this pic across the dash to the right fender where the arm came to rest.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I pulled out and looked over the sides of the car where I expected to see dammage, but there was none visible. I breathed a sigh of releif and vowed to return to get a refund after work and to never use that wash again.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fast forward to tonight after work. I’m making a quick stop on the way home and notice a dent in the hood when I’m returning to the car. After this morning I looked closely at the sides of the car where the spray arm was wildly swinging, but did not think the hood would be dammaged. And with the car being wet with large beads of water, I must have overlooked the dent.
So I called the car-wash number twice and got voicemail. I also filed a claim with the insurance. It was too dark to get a decent pic of the damage to the hood, but this pic shows where the dent catches light. The damage looks worse than it is in this pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a close-up with a flash light. The dent has broken through the paint.

I want the car wash owner to pay for this, not my insurance. The insurance will jack up my rates if they pay for it. But I want the car fixed correctly and quickly. The last new car I bought was in 1998, so this one means a lot to me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Good luck. It is almost if not impossible to tell that damage when wet. That is why we NEVER look at cars to buy in the rain. Be persistent, but keep after the car wash. NO you don't want your insurance paying for it. I'd rather pay out of pocket. That sucks!

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
Good luck. It is almost if not impossible to tell that damage when wet. That is why we NEVER look at cars to buy in the rain. Be persistent, but keep after the car wash. NO you don't want your insurance paying for it. I'd rather pay out of pocket. That sucks!
Very true! After that nasty hailstorm last May while my car was still wet... It looked like if it had a few dents... It got dry overnight, and whelps, it looked like it was a BB gun practice target!

Spool, I hope it gets resolved in your favor. Keep us posted! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
I don’t think you’ll have any trouble getting the car wash company to pay for it. They have insurance for such things. In years gone by, I used to take my cars through car washes. I’ve had damage to three different cars and the company simply told me to get estimates and they paid for the repairs.
I haven’t gone through a car wash now in years and would never take a Challenger through one.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Been there, done that. Years ago in my 87 Buick Grand National. Exact same type of car wash. What a helpless feeling.
Flying J refused to pay, took them to Small Claims Court, we settled for the insurance deductible.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
It'll fall under your Liability insurance coverage. They don't increase your rates because of something like that. Go to your insurance co. for the fix and let them chase down the car wash for their reimbursement.

·
Registered
2015 SRT
291 Posts
I stopped going to car washes even the hand car wash where they put your car on a conveyor system. The rails are too narrow for wide tires and scratch the rims. . I hope the car wash company does not give trouble and pays for it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It'll fall under your Liability insurance coverage. They don't increase your rates because of something like that. Go to your insurance co. for the fix and let them chase down the car wash for their reimbursement.
Exactly it's a no fault on your record and you will be out your deductible until the car wash makes it right.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Challenger RT/STP A8
197 Posts
What a horror story! Hope out turns out well for you. Just another reason tho avoid these types of car wash locations. I rather do it the old school way with 2 buckets and my hands keep the paint nice and clean. Those automated car washes leave all the dirt and mud on those rollers and scratch your paint! Definetly not something I want to put my car through.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The car wash says they will pay.
A body guy I know is going to repaint the hood for $850. I’m taking the bill to the car wash before I get the work done.

The reason I even went to that specific wash is because it is spray-only - touchless. No rollers, just sprayers.

The car wash guy said he found a spray nozzle laying in that bay. That is probably what hit the hood. I just finished hand washing the car and only found the one dent on the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Good luck with the fix...for 850 bucks he should be finishing BOTH sides of that hood...

Glad the car wash is stepping up....but don't get too greedy...even though it is a big pain n the azz

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good luck with the fix...for 850 bucks he should be finishing BOTH sides of that hood...

Glad the car wash is stepping up....but don't get too greedy...even though it is a big pain n the azz
Are you a body guy?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
That sucks man. That’s why I never go to car washes.

Hope you get it resolved. Good luck.

·
Registered
2015 R/T
493 Posts
I only use waterless spray wash in garage to clean mine..This is one of the reasons why along with limiting any future rust issues

·
Registered
42 Posts
I only use that type of wash in the winter (and sparingly) cause I can't wash the car when it's 10F degrees outside (the temp in my garage is 40F).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts