Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a bit interesting. I would expect some casting sand but not this much. And, it begs the question, if in the coolant passages, what about the rest of the block.

Here's the entire long article if you want to read it (warning : sales pitch) but they are a reputable company.

DeWFPo

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had that in my 1st and 3rd JK wrangler. I let them fix it in the first one.

Primary symptom was no heat on driver side. Also heard gurgling in the radiator after shutting the car off.

They had to pull the freeze plugs, flush the engine, tear the dash and console apart and replace the heater core. The radiator and the hoses all were replaced as well.

Took a week and then the vehicle preformed fine no issues. Fast forward three years and when my 3rd JK had no heat driver side and I saw casting sand in the radiator overflow, I traded it in ASAP.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Holy cow. Is this recent? Is this the same engine that is in the challenger? I was already planning on a 500 mile oil change, should I add coolant flush to the list too?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,653 Posts
Holy cow. Is this recent? Is this the same engine that is in the challenger? I was already planning on a 500 mile oil change, should I add coolant flush to the list too?
Absent any signs of any cooling system, heating system issues, no need to flush the cooling system. That sand problem was a fluke. Every block leaves the foundry casting mold loaded with sand and yet engine issues traceable to casting sand are very rare.

That a few blocks managed to retain some is probably due to a casting mold problem which resulted in a larger amount of casting sand "sticking" to the block that was not removed by the process which each block goes through to remove any casting sand.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,551 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,653 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes we have the same engines, however they aren't all manufactured in the same place.

I was the reply to the original post about the Wrangler.

My first Wrangler was a 2013 and my third was a 2015.

If you have this issue, you will know. The gurgling was loud and there was literally no heat coming out of the driver side of the car and very low heat out of the passenger side eventually as the heater core clogged up.

On both Jeeps, this happened within the first 2,000 miles, I didn't know what it was on the first one but by 4,000 miles I couldn't put up with the problems anymore. The third one did it within 500 miles.

I've had 2 Challengers 2017 and 2020, a Grand Cherokee 2016 and currently have a Wrangler 2017 with the same engine and none of them have had this issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts