Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this modification? If so please put your input below, a video would be even better.

I can find HARDLY any videos for Challengers (3.6L) with cats deleted, but this one below is the best 3.6L V6 i've ever heard.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
I did cat delete, makes the challenger sound horrible , really high pitch exhaust sound, I could not stand it was so embarrassed I put the cats back on.

I guess if your really into the ricer sound and want your car to sound like those little ricer cars with fart cans have had it.

This sounds way better

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did cat delete, makes the challenger sound horrible , really high pitch exhaust sound, I could not stand it was so embarrassed I put the cats back on.

I guess if your really into the ricer sound and want your car to sound like those little ricer cars with fart cans have had it.
What was your exact exhaust setup when you deleted your cats? Also, I've seen that video before it sounds good, is that your setup? If so what else did you have on at the time of filming?

I really wish there was a headers option for the 3.6

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
What was your exact exhaust setup when you deleted your cats? Also, I've seen that video before it sounds good, is that your setup? If so what else did you have on at the time of filming?

I really wish there was a headers option for the 3.6

I deleted the cats to see what it was worth power wise. I had the Solo catback system with my cats deleted.

Yes the video is my set up, that is my current exhaust, it was all set up to get ready for my supercharger that I have finally added last couple of weeks. That set up in the video is custom built head tubes I design and welded out of 2 1/2" pipe, then the stock cats and then custom mid pipes I built out of 2 3/4" pipe to the 2 3/4"Corsa extreme, extreme detail was paid attention to smooth joints to give the most unrestricted flow of exhaust gases, the Corsa exhaust was chosen for it's straight thru design so not to slow down exhaust gas, did not want any restrictions.

That said, the stock cats are the only restriction in the exhaust and at least at about the 350 hp level they gave up almost no trap speed ( maybe .2 mph at best) during my testing. However they do provide a much better mellow tone to the exhaust.

Now with the blower installed the cats my give up a little more power since im closer to the 500 hp level at the crank, but the rest of the exhaust is set up for about 550 hp level, I would only suspect about no more then 10 hp loss with cats on at this point, but it's worth the exhaust tone.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I deleted the cats to see what it was worth power wise. I had the Solo catback system with my cats deleted.

Yes the video is my set up, that is my current exhaust, it was all set up to get ready for my supercharger that I have finally added last couple of weeks. That set up in the video is custom built head tubes I design and welded out of 2 1/2" pipe, then the stock cats and then custom mid pipes I built out of 2 3/4" pipe to the 2 3/4"Corsa extreme, extreme detail was paid attention to smooth joints to give the most unrestricted flow of exhaust gases, the Corsa exhaust was chosen for it's straight thru design so not to slow down exhaust gas, did not want any restrictions.

That said, the stock cats are the only restriction in the exhaust and at least at about the 350 hp level they gave up almost no trap speed ( maybe .2 mph at best) during my testing. However they do provide a much better mellow tone to the exhaust.

Now with the blower installed the cats my give up a little more power since im closer to the 500 hp level at the crank, but the rest of the exhaust is set up for about 550 hp level, I would only suspect about no more then 10 hp loss with cats on at this point, but it's worth the exhaust tone.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. Very interested in doing a setup like that, but the word "custom" is setting me back a lot. How much did the exhaust system end up running you in the end, and would you hypothetically be able to give advice on how to do a similar setup? And also, how much of an exhaust tone improvement did your CAI make at low, mid, and high RPMS, respectively?

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Thanks for the info. Very interested in doing a setup like that, but the word "custom" is setting me back a lot. How much did the exhaust system end up running you in the end, and would you hypothetically be able to give advice on how to do a similar setup? And also, how much of an exhaust tone improvement did your CAI make at low, mid, and high RPMS, respectively?

Probably the cheapest way for anyone else, is to run like 6.1 hemi 2 3/4" mid pipes and cats and Corsa Extreme cat back.

For me with my welding and fabrication skills it was easy for more to make my own and start from scratch. The cost was just the cost of the pipe and my time and then I purchased the Corsa Extreme.

It's all about airflow for the power level that your at, exhaust flows like water, imagine water flowing thru your exhaust, do you want your pipe joints miss aligned , do you want to neck down at any given point, heck do you really want mufflers that have baffles in them, no. you want the water running as quickly as possible and as smooth as possible, least restrictive path.

The CAI makes the exhaust tone louder, it makes the exhaust tone louder because the engine is now moving more air, many folks believe cai don't increase power, but they all mostly agree the exhaust is louder, but it seem these experts can't put two and two together, why is the exhaust tone louder, because the engine is moving more air, when your engine is moving more air, it's making more power, hence the louder exhaust.

I added a super charger to my car with no changes to my exhaust, the exhaust is louder, it's moving more air, same as the cai, but of course not as dramatic, take in more air that air has to go somewhere and makes the exhaust tone louder.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably the cheapest way for anyone else, is to run like 6.1 hemi 2 3/4" mid pipes and cats and Corsa Extreme cat back.

For me with my welding and fabrication skills it was easy for more to make my own and start from scratch. The cost was just the cost of the pipe and my time and then I purchased the Corsa Extreme.

It's all about airflow for the power level that your at, exhaust flows like water, imagine water flowing thru your exhaust, do you want your pipe joints miss aligned , do you want to neck down at any given point, heck do you really want mufflers that have baffles in them, no. you want the water running as quickly as possible and as smooth as possible, least restrictive path.

The CAI makes the exhaust tone louder, it makes the exhaust tone louder because the engine is now moving more air, many folks believe cai don't increase power, but they all mostly agree the exhaust is louder, but it seem these experts can't put two and two together, why is the exhaust tone louder, because the engine is moving more air, when your engine is moving more air, it's making more power, hence the louder exhaust.

I added a super charger to my car with no changes to my exhaust, the exhaust is louder, it's moving more air, same as the cai, but of course not as dramatic, take in more air that air has to go somewhere and makes the exhaust tone louder.

Hope this helps
Thanks for all the input it has been very helpful. Last questions, I promise.

Did the supercharger change the sound signature (deepness or growl not including the whine) or only increase the loudness of the exhaust? And how does the supercharger feel for daily driving?

My end goal is to get a similar exhaust catback system and to buy the RIPP supercharger once its officially released

1 - 7 of 7 Posts