Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen or had this before? About a week ago I noticed a burning smell coming from under the car, it was strong enough to smell just standing next to the car. I thought maybe a plastic bag or something has got caught on the passenger side cat. I saw 2 large burnt areas on the cat itself. I cleaned it off with a wire brush and the next day it was back. Cleaned it a second time and it's still coming back and smell is getting worse, like burning metal or plastic. In the pic below you can see the burnt spots I'm debating if I should take it in and try for warranty work or just upgrade to some magnaflows since the warranty is about to expire in 6 months. I have a 2016 RT no mods other than adding the Mopar exhaust last year.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
I'd take it to the dealership ASAP and let them figure it out under warranty before it gets worse and damages something else.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Second what mjb4450 said.

FYI, when the converter is functioning it is in fact "burning", burning inside, burning, oxidizing exhaust gases. The heat generated from this oxidization heats the converter and helps keep it at working temperature and this can be in the 600C range.

What I suspect is going on it there is something leaking down on the hot converter.

If the odor has a metallic/ozone like characteristic I suspect it is something with water in it, coolant maybe, but I would expect there would be an odor of antifreeze, too.

Get the car in for a check. The converters are warrantied for 8 years, 80K miles whichever comes first so if the problem is something inside the converter the converter should be covered.

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
I think you have something dripping from above on the cat - it there's an oil leak from the valve cover, its going to smell.

From the stains I see, its on the upper part of the cat.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Something is leaking on it, that is the smell

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently the oil filter had a small crack near the seal and it was leaking out extremely slowly and burning off on the cats. It must have been really Small because I never noticed the oil level change at all or spots where I park. So a $10 fix for a new filter.

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
that would have been one of the easiest fixes. hope that took care of it

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,560 Posts
Had a similar situation and discovered my valve cover seal was leaking. It is surprisingly easy to roll the seal (did this when I swapped my push rods) which resulted in a slow oil leak that would eventually drip on the cat as the engine sits at an incline. I would never have guessed that the oil filter, which sits at the front of the engine, would cause a leak that would eventually drip on the cat. :dunno:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts