Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello everybody i currently am running 9 lbs of boost with stock headers and catalytic convertors in the summer i was considering upping the boost 2 lbs to 11 lbs. Can the catalytic convertors survive . The only reason i ask is because i have seen posts on here where people have blown a rod or blew there motor under moderate to high boost and they seem to think that clogged cats may have at the least attributed to the incident due to excessive back pressure and heat. would bad cats have symptoms check engine light maybe ......what about the car would it not drive differently that we would notice before the motor would blow I really don't like the idea of high flow cats or going cat less due to the loud droning sounds . opinions are greatly appreciated ...also everything is driving great in my car right now with zero issues

·
Registered
260 Posts
Honestly with that amount of boost I would gut the cats and put dynamat under the cars carpet for the drone. I got rid of my cats with the LT headers and love the sound i actually got use to it, and make sure u hit up Johan for the O2 delete so no check engine lights. With that much boost you want that exhaust to escape fast stock cats could really pose a issue with that set up IMHO.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
675 Posts
I saw those accounts of toasted cats backing up and damaging the engine...haunted me
(5.7 ProCharged-6 lbs.) The addition of 2 more lbs. of boost on your car, according to all I have heard, will put you in the danger zone for your pistons. If you are going to increase the boost, you should consider a set of drop in pistons first. As for drone, with your six speed it is nothing to concern yourself with.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I saw those accounts of toasted cats backing up and damaging the engine...haunted me
(5.7 ProCharged-6 lbs.) The addition of 2 more lbs. of boost on your car, according to all I have heard, will put you in the danger zone for your pistons. If you are going to increase the boost, you should consider a set of drop in pistons first. As for drone, with your six speed it is nothing to concern yourself with.
He already has the drop in pistons and a blower cam. I want to know why the cats blow the engine. Is it that the restriction causes increased cylinder pressure/temperature because of the back pressure?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Missed his pistons...According to a previous thread here (with pictures of the "toasted" cat) the continued high heat and boost pressure of the exhaust will adversely effect the cat.
Some blow out, some "toast". In the case of the member who posted, his toasted; pressure built, backed into the cylinder, valve backed up and bent, pushrod
bent, knocked the rocker off it's assembly. Not my analysis, just what was reported here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts