Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
1,980 Posts
I had that happen to me on my '98 Silverado on an off ramp. Turned out to be a bad master cylinder.

·
Registered
650 Posts
My vote goes to master cylinder also. Only way light is going to come on is if theres low fluid or an abs issue. If fluid is good and a few pumps stopped the car then master cylinder failed. Fluid is getting by the piston inside of it. If fluid gets into the booster it will create more issues and problems so get it taken care of soon.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Is this catastrophic brake failure?

I was driving home on the expressway, luckily it wasn't moving fast. Out of nowhere with no indication, I pressed on the brake pedal and it went to the floor. There is no brake warning light indicator and it required me pumping the brakes to get the car to stop. At this point, I was in stop and go traffic and I let the car in front move about 5 car lengths out and I got it up to 20mph and it was like I was stopping on ice, almost zero response.
I pulled the car on the shoulder and had it towed home from there.

Checking the car over at home, fluid levels are good, fuses are good. I disconnected the battery for half an hour and it's still the same problem.

The scary part is that the brake light indicates no issues.

I am thinking about contacting a lawyer before taking her into the dealer. Thoughts? 🤔
So, what was found to be the problem? Any updates?

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Is this catastrophic brake failure?

I was driving home on the expressway, luckily it wasn't moving fast. Out of nowhere with no indication, I pressed on the brake pedal and it went to the floor. There is no brake warning light indicator and it required me pumping the brakes to get the car to stop. At this point, I was in stop and go traffic and I let the car in front move about 5 car lengths out and I got it up to 20mph and it was like I was stopping on ice, almost zero response.
I pulled the car on the shoulder and had it towed home from there.

Checking the car over at home, fluid levels are good, fuses are good. I disconnected the battery for half an hour and it's still the same problem.

The scary part is that the brake light indicates no issues.

I am thinking about contacting a lawyer before taking her into the dealer. Thoughts? 🤔

I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I contacted my lawyer! Lol

The biggest problem is that your car doesn't have brakes now.

That issue needs to be attended to by a dealer. They can fix it, the legal system can't.

Blinky lights on the dashboard don't mean a thing in an emergency stop, with no brakes, and traffic ahead of you.

What are they going to tell you in this situation that you don't already know?

Would blinky lights stop you faster?

Bottom line, get the car to the dealer and have them evaluate and fix it.

Don't sprain your ankle in the dealer lot when you pick it up, or you'll be wondering if you should see your doctor or call a lawyer first.

Best of luck.

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Registered
801 Posts
Any new word on what caused the brake failure??

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Don't sprain your ankle in the dealer lot when you pick it up, or you'll be wondering if you should see your doctor or call a lawyer first.

Best of luck.
Me, I would just go home and drink a beer and have a cigar and not worry about my ankle. Probably would be my fault for not watching where I was stepping plus, it will heal.

·
Registered
375 Posts
LOL --> 'LDS' Yeah, maybe a brake line popped? If it were 20 years old brake lines eaten by salt, I might believe.
Reminds me of a story. The wifee was driving the Jeep TJ to work several years back, way before the whole work from home thing. Coming up to a stop light, 35mph she says, brake pedal held for a sec, then went to the floor. Pumping didn't help.
She was good though, she put it in neutral, and yanked on the emergency brake. Slowed it right down. Turned right at the light, drifted right into the parking lot of a hotel. Angels were helping her that morning, really good. Could have been the end of the Jeep.
She called , and was 'excited' on the phone, LOL . I brought her the new Jeep, and I drove the old one home. We had practiced this years ago, when a brake line failed on my previous Dodge Ram. It was pedal emergency brake, in that truck and was hard to stop.

I saw the fluid up front on the pavement behind the tire on the Jeep. I filled the master cylinder with fluid, but used neutral , emergency brake and great distances from cars in front of me to get home:alien:
I replaced that brake line, and new calipers, rotors and pads. It stops on a dime today. ( it needs a radiator).
No lawyer involved.

Glad no one was hurt in OP incident.
Best regards
Parrott

·
Registered
801 Posts
Well, any new word?

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
786 Posts
I had a similar problem back in the 90s with a Neon. It was scary as hell but fortunately I did not hit anything. Dealer was stumped. I figured it out. It was a bad wheel speed sensor that was showing different wheel speeds and making the car think the ABS should modulate the brakes.

Pulling the ABS fuse immediately cured it.
After I figured it out for them the dealer was able to use a scan tool to find the bad sensor and it was replaced under warranty. I was 20. The dealer service tech had been working there for 23 years and obviously had an attitude with the young kid when he tried to explain the problem. I have pretty much fixed all my own stuff since then except for alignments and tire mounting and balancing.

Pull the ABS fuse.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts