Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here....just traded my black 2010 V6 Rallye Charger for a 2014 R/T Plus in Header Orange. The charger was awesome and I will miss the AWD. Anyway, the first thing I did when I got the charger was a Magna Flow catback. The sound was good and it felt like it opened it up a bit. Now with the Hemi I keep reading about resonator delete and wanted to know which is better for HP, torque, sound etc?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Firstly: congratulations on your new Challenger and welcome to the forum!

I started with a reso delete, and several weeks, many alterations and hundreds of dollars later, looks like I will end up with new Solo Performance cat-backs.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd simply replace the resonators with some Magnaflows to give it a more clear path and be done. This is what I had on my 2012 300 SRT and was very happy: it kept the sound close to stock until you floored...then it REALLY roared.

My main issue with the reso delete was drone. But it will depend if drone bothers you or not, especially if your car is an auto with MDS. If it doesn't, reso delete may just work for you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the way I am leaning. I think with the proper catback I will get the growl without the drone I keep reading about.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Im on the same boat, Ive been looking into the Flowmaster 817461 kit. Seems like a good exhaust set up for a nicer deep V8 sound.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I removed the resonators on my 2013 R/T 6-Speed and the drone is terrible. Saving up some money for a reputable cat-back and can't wait to put it on.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
AZChally... the Flowmaster 817461 Force II is the system I put on my R/T. It sounds great and I've gotten many comments from people on it. It has zero drone at any speed. It's not really loud and doesn't "roar" like some do. But the ones that roar also have drone. After a year of having the car I finally had a chance to compare the exhaust sound to another Challenger this past weekend. I met up in another town with my brother who bought his '14 R/T in December and put the Flowmaster American Thunder cut-back on it. I drove his car around for about ten minutes and hated the sound from the time I started it up. The drone was extremely annoying! Of course you can always "drive around the drone" but changing gears or speeding up or slowing down. But there's not enough enjoyment of the louder system to make me want to put up with all that. My car is an automatic and I hate the sound it makes when it switches to 4 cylinder mode. Hate it. It's not loud. It's just an ugly sound. I drive it a lot in auto-stick so I don't have to listen to that. Some folks don't mind the drone... my brother, for one. He doesn't care as long as he can have loud exhaust. It's all in personally preference.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
You gotta pay to play. Getting a reso delete will open up the exhaust sound but will give you terrible drone.

By the way, don't expect any sort of tangible gains from a catback modification, the stock system flows plenty good.

I would save ye coin, and go with a quality catback that will reveal that true rumble that the Hemi does have. Go do a search for catbacks and listen to some in real life. Make the right choice the first time.

Good luck

·
Registered
57 Posts
AZChally... the Flowmaster 817461 Force II is the system I put on my R/T. It sounds great and I've gotten many comments from people on it. It has zero drone at any speed. It's not really loud and doesn't "roar" like some do. But the ones that roar also have drone. After a year of having the car I finally had a chance to compare the exhaust sound to another Challenger this past weekend. I met up in another town with my brother who bought his '14 R/T in December and put the Flowmaster American Thunder cut-back on it. I drove his car around for about ten minutes and hated the sound from the time I started it up. The drone was extremely annoying! Of course you can always "drive around the drone" but changing gears or speeding up or slowing down. But there's not enough enjoyment of the louder system to make me want to put up with all that. My car is an automatic and I hate the sound it makes when it switches to 4 cylinder mode. Hate it. It's not loud. It's just an ugly sound. I drive it a lot in auto-stick so I don't have to listen to that. Some folks don't mind the drone... my brother, for one. He doesn't care as long as he can have loud exhaust. It's all in personally preference.
I think im just going to stick with throwing some Yonaka dual tips on the back! Maybe even put some flowmasters in place of those huge mufflers. Mines a daily driver for a few more months so I dont really want to deal with drone! 6th gear at a low RPM is still a little too much for me lol. So I think im just going to piece together different types of mufflers until I get just the right amount of ROAR! :)

·
Registered
2014 Challenger RT
64 Posts
I think im just going to stick with throwing some Yonaka dual tips on the back! Maybe even put some flowmasters in place of those huge mufflers. Mines a daily driver for a few more months so I dont really want to deal with drone! 6th gear at a low RPM is still a little too much for me lol. So I think im just going to piece together different types of mufflers until I get just the right amount of ROAR! :)
I just ordered some SLP mufflers. The plan is to have them welded in place of the stock mufflers and have the resonators removed. Although looking at some of the kits like Blastin' Bobs, I may leave the resos on for now and if it's too quite I can put the reso delete kit on later.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My opinion is it depends on automatic or manual transmission. My 2013 charger rt had reso delete with flowmaster super 10's on it and it droned like crazy when the mds kicked in. Drove me nuts. I just did the reso delete and changed the two tips to flowmaster dual tips and its a 6 speed manual. No drone at all and mds to make it drone either. I absolutely love it.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
My opinion is it depends on automatic or manual transmission. My 2013 charger rt had reso delete with flowmaster super 10's on it and it droned like crazy when the mds kicked in. Drove me nuts. I just did the reso delete and changed the two tips to flowmaster dual tips and its a 6 speed manual. No drone at all and mds to make it drone either. I absolutely love it.
I agree, I deleted the resonaters on my 6 speed and I think it sounds good with minimal drone. It's definitely the smart first play IF you have a 6 speed. IF you don't like it, you can always re-sell the straight pipes for a minimal loss and then get a catback.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I went to Best Muffler Shop here in Las Vegas and had the resonators removed and replaced the stock mufflers with Magnaflows. Sound is amazing, not too throaty and no popping, just a deep and mean growl which is exactly what I wanted. No drone so far, definitely louder at lower gears but once I get to 5th and 6th and cruising at freeway speeds it seems quieter than the stock setup.

Reactions: bpa88

·
Registered
56 Posts
Got Solo Performance on my R/T Classic last week, the sound is amazing, it's starting to sound better and better by the day.

The kit I got has the J-pipe which was designed for the automatic, but I got it on my 6 speed manual to eliminate drone and it works perfectly. Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Got Solo Performance on my R/T Classic last week, the sound is amazing, it's starting to sound better and better by the day.

The kit I got has the J-pipe which was designed for the automatic, but I got it on my 6 speed manual to eliminate drone and it works perfectly. Highly recommend it.

I have the same system on my six speed love it have a little rattle that I have to fix

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
102 Posts
I went to Best Muffler Shop here in Las Vegas and had the resonators removed and replaced the stock mufflers with Magnaflows. Sound is amazing, not too throaty and no popping, just a deep and mean growl which is exactly what I wanted. No drone so far, definitely louder at lower gears but once I get to 5th and 6th and cruising at freeway speeds it seems quieter than the stock setup.
-can't go wrong with the magnaflow I was surprised that they eliminated most of the drone I was suffering from the glasspacks I had on before.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
102 Posts
If your going with magnaflow. .blastin bobs makes an axle back kit for $289. I just put it on..no drone and sounds amazing outside the car..nice deep low rumble and roars when flooring it. Best of all its super cheap compared to flowmaster or the official magnaflow axle backs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts