Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With an aftermarket catback exhaust system, how important is it to have an X-Pipe vs H-Pipe?

How important is it to stick with system that has the 2.25" (stock diameter tubing) vs a system with 2.50" tubing?

I know most exhaust systems will add little to no HP or MPG, but I'm asking because to me, every little bit of performance increase on a 3.6L is worth it (unless the mod is way overpriced). And, since we're talking about performance, of course we're talking sound too (tone, deepness, no drone, etc.). So...what increase in performance (HP and/or MPG and/or sound) will the above offer options offer?

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
I know most exhaust systems will add little to no HP or MPG, but I'm asking because to me, every little bit of performance increase on a 3.6L is worth it (unless the mod is way overpriced).
The V6 is tough to mod as it was designed to be a solid work horse and not a scalable hi perf machine. In the "bang for the buck" category, performance mods will then be over priced.

Now, in general exhaust terms the "X" pipe will be a better option than a "H" pipe. This is due to the "savaging" effect whereby exhaust pulses create waves and vacuums and "pull" exhaust through the system. On a V6 you will have a theoretical gain but probably not measurable.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
27,316 Posts
With our V6, it's hard to say. The X-Pipe vs H-Pipe is likely going to come down to sound, and on a V6, I'm not sure the H-Pipe would sound better as it often does on a V8

I doubt a 2.5" system will net any increase unless the engine is optimized (Supercharger, ported upper and lower manifolds, better mid pipes with less restriction, etc.). I don't know if it will cost any power either. You may remember ddeennis and his sprintex supercharged V6? He added a modified 2 and 3/4" exhaust

He lost low end torque, which is the most feel of the pants improvement. On a stock engine, if you have no aftermarket exhaust, I'd go for the tried and true 2.25" engineered for our cars

A Guy

Reactions: FreddyG
1 - 4 of 4 Posts