Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading an older thread about Oil Catch Can's and a member by the name of "R/TClassic" made the following statement:

"If a catch can was beneficial it would be installed at the factory.if the HEMI blows that much oil into the pcv system we are in big trouble anyway,plugs would be getting fouled,sensors would be failing etc..."

Here is the eye opener...I purchased a 2014 Chevy Camaro SS/1LE back in 2013, and the "1LE" is the factory installed performance package.
Anyway...guess what was in the trunk of every new 2014 Camaro SS 1LE?
A brand new OEM catch can with a warning statement printed on a sheet of paper, mandating the catch can be installed.

Thus, the dealer installed it on mine right there.

The bad news, is that the paper also stated not to use it in cold temperatures, and that it is for off road/track use only where higher temperatures are imposed on the engine.

I was not about to keep taking it off in winter and back in summer, as I only drove the car when it was not raining or snowing.
This is due to the fact that the GoodYear F1 Super Car track tires it came with from the factory (part of 1LE performance package) pretty much limited the car to being driven above 40 degrees, as those tires get harder the colder the temps are, and are barely legal (almost slicks) right from the factory are worn out by 5-12k miles tops.
Also, if the car is stored outside or driven in freezing or below temps, the tires begin to fall apart.

Thoughts on this "mandatory" dealer installed OEM catch can experience when considering the situation on modern Challengers?

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I ran a can on my last Challenger and run one on my current, never any warranty issues. After seeing the mess and KR issues by not running one I'll always have one on my HEMI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,605 Posts
I was reading an older thread about Oil Catch Can's and a member by the name of "R/TClassic" made the following statement: "If a catch can was beneficial it would be installed at the factory.if the HEMI blows that much oil into the pcv system we are in big trouble anyway,plugs would be getting fouled,sensors would be failing etc..."
The problem is a gradual and cumulative one. Over several years, you could lose some power as the PCM retards the timing due to an oil deposit build up. The question is, why do you want to burn this by-product crap in your engine?

There are many catch can threads on this forum. I fully agree with the beneficial effects of a catch can and have one on my 6.1 SRT.

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
Yep, better to "catch" than "ingest", at least that's my thoughts on a Hemi, and I'm sticking with it.

Had a BT on my '10 R/TC for 4 1/2 years, and 43k (s)miles, No issues, no dealer "warning".

One of the first things that I installed on my '16 Scat Pack........another BT can.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This Camaro catch can install didn't work out so well ..

GM voids engine warranty over catch can - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
The SS 1LE has a different Oil Pump than a regular SS. Part of the 1LE package.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326260

Also, I want to install a catch can on my new Challenger and the service guy could not even find it as a MOPAR part number.
He even said although he has seen a couple of Challengers come in with catch cans, I am the first customer he knows of to actually inquire about one.
Also, some guy on this site claims the 5.7L Hemi already has some sot of catch/can oil seperator built into the valve covers.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3192900

·
Registered
347 Posts
Pat Goss of Motorweek's Goss' Garage recommends one...

Shameless plug
I got one for sale int the Classifieds Section.
I took it off my '12 392 but it don't fit my Hellcat (got one from BT instead)
It fit nicely on the front of the 392 and affords easy access for emptying.
It caught 2-3 oz (or more) between oil changes... I was happy that all that oil
wasn't getting into my top end and throttle body.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
One very big difference between the Challenger and Camaro; Ours is port injection, theirs is gas direct injection. A catch can is mandatory on a GDI engine unless you want massive and rapid carbon buildup on the intake valves. On a Challenger it's something nice to have but would not make a noticeable difference especially if you use top tier gas. I had a 2014 Silverado 5.3. The GDI problem hit home with me when I saw a GM Forum member post pictures of his intake valves after just 30k miles. Looked like it had 150k miles. That is why I now own a Ram and will be getting another Challenger soon. I will not buy another GDI vehicle unless I have to or they come up with a fix. Apparently Toyota is putting an auxiliary fuel injector in the old port location for the sole purpose of cleaning off the intakes on their GDI engines. Ford has stated there is no cleaning available on their EcoBoost engines due to the turbos being damaged by any chemical so they say when drivability problems occur due to carbon buildup, replace the heads. Everyone has gone to them except for good old Chrysler. A couple European makes mandate that the intake be removed and the valves be blasted with crushed walnut shells every 30k miles as routine maintenance. I'm sticking with port injection.

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
One very big difference between the Challenger and Camaro; Ours is port injection, theirs is gas direct injection. A catch can is mandatory on a GDI engine unless you want massive and rapid carbon buildup on the intake valves. On a Challenger it's something nice to have but would not make a noticeable difference especially if you use top tier gas. I had a 2014 Silverado 5.3. The GDI problem hit home with me when I saw a GM Forum member post pictures of his intake valves after just 30k miles. Looked like it had 150k miles. That is why I now own a Ram and will be getting another Challenger soon. I will not buy another GDI vehicle unless I have to or they come up with a fix. Apparently Toyota is putting an auxiliary fuel injector in the old port location for the sole purpose of cleaning off the intakes on their GDI engines. Ford has stated there is no cleaning available on their EcoBoost engines due to the turbos being damaged by any chemical so they say when drivability problems occur due to carbon buildup, replace the heads. Everyone has gone to them except for good old Chrysler. A couple European makes mandate that the intake be removed and the valves be blasted with crushed walnut shells every 30k miles as routine maintenance. I'm sticking with port injection.

Hemi tick doesn't "sound" so bad now, does it? LOL

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
GEEZ......unreal! Great Info!
I notice the definition of GDI mentions "lower emissions and more power" in the same sentenance....
Never heard of anything good coming out of lower emissions anything.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T
253 Posts
unfortunately for some, it seems like they kept the emissions cleaner by letting the junk build up in the motors. i guess longevity was not part of the plan!

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
unfortunately for some, it seems like they kept the emissions cleaner by letting the junk build up in the motors. i guess longevity was not part of the plan!
There's no proof that using a catch can gives you longer engine life.
Motors have been running for hundreds of thousands of miles without them just fine.
Look at all the Toyotas with the 22R engines than run for 300,000 miles or more, no catch can.

·
Registered
Hellcat
979 Posts
Posted this on a different thread I thought was this one

I still have not put a CC on because I have a Bad case of warranty phobia. I have a lifetime warranty and plan on keeping my car for a while. What's confusing while reading through CC threads are guys who adamantly say it won't void your warranty, but later say they remove it before taking their car in for service. If there is no warranty issues, why do some remove their CC before taking it in for service. I don't carry old parts so if my car craps out in the road, I won't have the means to start removing mods, so for me it's the warranty issue. And yes I saw the thread about the camaro CC warranty issue. I do believe they work and should still be a MOPAR performance option

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I never removed mine before warranty work, have the lifetime warranty on my current car and had it on my last one, and nobody can VOID your warranty for just using a catch can. That's against the law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 66 Posts