Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,198 Posts
I'm betting the performance "degrade" if any, isn't even noticable.
If it was, cleaning your intake would be listed in the regular maintenance IF the build up was that bad and since manufacturers don't put a catch can on.......but it's not because it's not impacting the engine as much as some people think.
BUT.....that being said it definitely doesn't "hurt" to put on a catch can, just not as detrimental as some people think.
That is not true. I have a 2004 Dodge Ram with the 5.7 hemi. It is not possible to install a catch can on it. To regain lost performance, and especially lost gas mileage, I have to remove and clean the throttle body about once a year.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
586 Posts
Well, like others have posted earlier in the thread, Most dealerships usually will not give you any problem when your car goes in to them with a CC. Mine has been in for multiple oil changes and even got the alternator recall work done recently and the CC has never been a problem. Not even a mention of it.
Apparently dealers differ on their approach to mods. I have a catch can, Tazer, modified PCM with a tune. When I schedule service I ask the Service writer if I need to remove the mods and they always reply no need to remove those mods as we install them here.

As for the necessity of a catch can, the engine was not designed to burn that oil / condensate mix (If it was I'd be selling an oil/condensate injector). While disadvantages of having oily condensate in the intake and combustion system are not clear for sure it is not advantageous. So I'll continue to use catch cans until there is evidence of disadvantages.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
154 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was reading this one and was curious. Seems like most people are installing theirs when their cars are relatively new. I just picked up a 2016 RT with 43k miles, would installing a catch can at that point be kind of useless? Or should I still consider it? TIA

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
Apparently dealers differ on their approach to mods. I have a catch can, Tazer, modified PCM with a tune. When I schedule service I ask the Service writer if I need to remove the mods and they always reply no need to remove those mods as we install them here.
Only problem with that is when it hits the fan and you have a major engine issue FCA and not the dealer will call the shots.

Just saw a Hellcat guy post that his new 19 Hellcat engine locked up and the first thing FCA wanted from the dealer was pictures of engine, engine compartment and closeups of the pulleys. Why did they want this? I think it's obvious, they are looking for any evidence of modifications and a way to get out of buying you a new engine.

Now if the dealer will cover then alright, but I wouldn't count on it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was reading this one and was curious. Seems like most people are installing theirs when their cars are relatively new. I just picked up a 2016 RT with 43k miles, would installing a catch can at that point be kind of useless? Or should I still consider it? TIA
I installed mine at 50k and am now at 90k. Definitely caught a good amount of oil, maybe almost a full water bottles worth

61 - 66 of 66 Posts