Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My UPR can arrived yesterday, and I got it installed this afternoon. I did not trim the hoses at all when I did the install, and they're probably about 8mm too long, so they sort of push the fittings just a bit. Other than that, the kit fit perfectly. However, now I'm wondering if it's really worth the effort to pull the hoses out, and trim off that tiny excess amount of hose so the lengths are totally exact. Am I overthinking this?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. You should be just fine. I like my UPR catch can as well. Only problem I am dreading in 5 years is that when it is time to smog my Challenger, catch cans are illegal. I am going to try & contact UPR & see if they have a male to male straight fitting where I can disconnect the lines to the catch can and put them together, bypassing the can for the smog test. I already talked to a couple of smog guys and they said no problem having the can as long as it isn't hooked up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't worry about it. You should be just fine. I like my UPR catch can as well. Only problem I am dreading in 5 years is that when it is time to smog my Challenger, catch cans are illegal. I am going to try & contact UPR & see if they have a male to male straight fitting where I can disconnect the lines to the catch can and put them together, bypassing the can for the smog test. I already talked to a couple of smog guys and they said no problem having the can as long as it isn't hooked up.

They have male->male push fittings, since you have to use those to connect the hoses to the engine fittings. Probably the easiest thing would be to just buy a new length of hose, and when the time comes, just disconnect the can hoses from the engine, but leave the double-ended push fittings in place. Push the new length of hose onto the fittings for your smog test, then when you're done you can pull the hose and re-plumb the can. I figure that will probably take about 15 minutes tops and you don't have to try to hunt up a special connector for the can hoses. You still have 5 years to go, it's not like it's a terribly pressing issue.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I would love to read their reasoning as to why a catch can is illegal..I bet it would be as stupid as when a congressman or senator talks about guns and proves they have no idea what the hell they are talking about.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love to read their reasoning as to why a catch can is illegal..I bet it would be as stupid as when a congressman or senator talks about guns and proves they have no idea what the hell they are talking about.
California has fantastically-stupid rules about the emissions equipment on cars. You can't do *anything* to alter any of the factory-installed emissions controls unless you're using parts that have already been certified by California. Certification is a horribly complex, difficult, and expensive process that many manufacturers don't want to bother with because they can still sell their product in the other 49 states.

Since the catch can alters the PCV system (an emissions control), and none of the catch can makers have any interest in letting the California CARB bureaucracy bend them over a table and dry-rape them for months to get their products certified for sale in that state, catch cans are "illegal". However, since it's fairly simple to de-plumb the catch can, there's nothing to say you can't install it, and then just bypass it when you have to submit your car to the Cali smog gestapo for inspection.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,622 Posts

·
Registered
15,846 Posts
And that's what FCA could cite on a warranty denial, you tampered with an emissions device. GM has done it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
California has fantastically-stupid rules about the emissions equipment on cars. You can't do *anything* to alter any of the factory-installed emissions controls unless you're using parts that have already been certified by California. Certification is a horribly complex, difficult, and expensive process that many manufacturers don't want to bother with because they can still sell their product in the other 49 states.

Since the catch can alters the PCV system (an emissions control), and none of the catch can makers have any interest in letting the California CARB bureaucracy bend them over a table and dry-rape them for months to get their products certified for sale in that state, catch cans are "illegal". However, since it's fairly simple to de-plumb the catch can, there's nothing to say you can't install it, and then just bypass it when you have to submit your car to the Cali smog gestapo for inspection.

Having lived in Nevada and still having friends there and a couple in CA, I knew about the CARB nonsense. I was talking about the logic,if that's the word I should use, of their rules. I love to read nonsense defended by bearaucrats. It amuses and angers me at the same time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the catch can yesterday after having it mounted for two weeks. There was about a tablespoon of oil in the can, so that's at least that much that didn't continue on into the motor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update, dumped the catch can again today, after an 800-mile road trip, found nearly 1/8 cup of oil. Really glad I bought the thing, now. I don't like the idea of that much oil passing through the intake system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts