Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a catch can for my 09 R/T 6-Spd, but am a little confused by some of the manufacturers ads.

The Billet Tech seems good (except for being a small nuisance to empty) but how is it mounted? the website I saw claims to have "all the necessary mounting brackets" but then there is an optional "Z" bracket that can be used for the 5.7 but only if you are using a EGR blockoff kit, and it's also unclear as to whether or not you can still use the engine cover once it's installed. I also noticed they were using "composite" fittings (plastic?) on the housing on the website...wouldn't brass be better?

The Moroso kit seems to be the better idea, as you can drain it with a turn of a valve...but once again, how is it mounted? Can you still keep the engine cover? (FYI- I'm not necessarily set on keeping the engine cover)

Does anyone have any actual experience with running and/or installing either of these products? Does the Z bracket work on the 5.7?
Does the Moroso kit have correct bracketry or do I need to do some fabrication?

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Good question, I know you can have a catch can and an engine cover because I've seen RaVenX's and he has a great looking bay with engine cover and catch can. I don't know what kind he has. You might ask him if you don't find out this way.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm looking to get a catch can for my 09 R/T 6-Spd, but am a little confused by some of the manufacturers ads.

The Billet Tech seems good (except for being a small nuisance to empty) but how is it mounted? the website I saw claims to have "all the necessary mounting brackets" but then there is an optional "Z" bracket that can be used for the 5.7 but only if you are using a EGR blockoff kit, and it's also unclear as to whether or not you can still use the engine cover once it's installed. I also noticed they were using "composite" fittings (plastic?) on the housing on the website...wouldn't brass be better?

The Moroso kit seems to be the better idea, as you can drain it with a turn of a valve...but once again, how is it mounted? Can you still keep the engine cover? (FYI- I'm not necessarily set on keeping the engine cover)

Does anyone have any actual experience with running and/or installing either of these products? Does the Z bracket work on the 5.7?
Does the Moroso kit have correct bracketry or do I need to do some fabrication?

Thanks guys
You can do a front install with the BT can but you can not if you have the stock intake.
If you buy the Mopar CAI it will fit and it's really easy to install and clean out.

·
Registered
988 Posts
You can do a front install with the BT can but you can not if you have the stock intake.
If you buy the Mopar CAI it will fit and it's really easy to install and clean out.
Not totally true.. I bought a 2nd stock air intake for $10 off the local Craigslist and cut off the silencer and plugged it. Works great. Another option is to use the SRT8 intake tube.

Plus I bought my Catch Can from Mopar Super Center for $96 shipped to my door.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the answers guys! I would follow up with a couple more.

Drinkcoke....does the Moroso have a universal bracket or one specifically made for the 5.7? their site didn't make that clear.

Starchild...I am running the Mopar CAI, so what bracket is best for the Billet Tech? will the "Z" bracket work on my 5.7 if I don't have the EGR block off, or will the included bracket work, or will I need to fabricate something?

Also...am pretty sure I want to go with braided hoses, what was the additional expense for them and were they available through the same company you got the catch can from (once again, the site I saw was lacking in that information)

Finally, I noticed that some of the Billet Tech cans had "composite" fittings instead of brass...since I'm not a fan of composites (especially next to a hot engine) is it possible to order them with the brass fittings as an options, or is this something I can do with a simple drive to Home Depot?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hemi57...nice job on the stock tube...always cool to see some home remedies that are well done. Does the BT just thread onto a stud? Hard to tell for sure how it mounts. Did Mopar Super Center offer braided hoses? Do you have a link?

AAR...does the Moroso come with the bracket shown in the photo? Does it mount onto an existing engine block/water pump stud?

Again. thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hemi57...nice job on the stock tube...always cool to see some home remedies that are well done. Does the BT just thread onto a stud? Hard to tell for sure how it mounts. Did Mopar Super Center offer braided hoses? Do you have a link?

Mopar Super Center is actually Rick Hendrick Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge is SC. Braided lines... not sure as I plan to do my own at some point.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts

AAR...does the Moroso come with the bracket shown in the photo? Does it mount onto an existing engine block/water pump stud?

Yes, the bracket(s) shown come with the moroso can. theres a clamp for the can and an angle bracket that mounts to the existing stud on the waterpump. i used a nut behind the bracket to move the can forward a little bit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I installed a drain for a B.T. catch can on my wife's RT

I suggest you read what IMHO is a very informative article and then view this guys product. It was geared to the Corvette crowd, but it also applies to us.
http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/PCV%20Line%20Oil%20Removal%20102.pdf

How much oil do you think goes into the intake even with a catch can installed?

I've been using catch cans on my 2000 camaro and I know that none of them can keep all oil fumes from going into the intake. So I'm running two Home Depot air /water separators housings with modified internals that I copied from a well known catch can maker.
I ran a second can in series with the B.T. unit to see how much more effective it was. The amount of oil that got past the primary B.T. can and entered the secondary Home Depot can wasn't any less then what I have with the Camaro

This is the primary catch can on the Camaro. Please realize that there is more oil than shown in this bowl because some of it is in the brass fittings passages

This is the secondary can showing what got past the first can

This is what the whole set up looks like

This is the internals I copied for my Home Depot housings. I felt it made the most sense

I'm not here to bad mouth anyone's product. I'm sure with all the machining involved, they believe their prices are fair. However I believe that no single catch can is going to keep all oil fumes from getting into the intake. I'd rather spend $12.00 ea. for Home Depot units with about $15.00 worth of fittings that is more effective than $110.00+ single can

1 - 17 of 17 Posts