Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I'm reading about a lot of people saving that extra oil that can go on to the intake and combustion chamber. The catch can seems like a cheaper, useful mod to prevent oil from going everywhere. I only have 4200 on my car, and can already see oil that's on the intake manifold.

Some questions,

1.) How do I mount the catch can?

2.) Which hoses do I use do attach it to?

3.) Do I just unscrew it and empty every so often, or do I have to completely dissemble the hoses and remove the catch can?

Thank you!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Okay so I'm reading about a lot of people saving that extra oil that can go on to the intake and combustion chamber. The catch can seems like a cheaper, useful mod to prevent oil from going everywhere. I only have 4200 on my car, and can already see oil that's on the intake manifold.

Some questions,

1.) How do I mount the catch can?

2.) Which hoses do I use do attach it to?

3.) Do I just unscrew it and empty every so often, or do I have to completely dissemble the hoses and remove the catch can?

Thank you!

Check out Speedy's garage...

Speedy's Garage

·
Registered
316 Posts
when you do install it put a little oil on the rubber gasket as it will cinch and feel like a 2000lb gorilla installed it. at least thats what Im fighting with right now.

·
Premium Member
11,797 Posts
I will be glad to help you out with this!

1. The Mount depends on where you want it to go. With the SX/BT can you have three choices - Standard (Off the front of the motor on the Water Pump Bolt), Fender Mount (Puts the can over by the window washer fluid bottle), or Z Bracket (mounts it to the passenger side head). For a 5.7L - if you want to keep the engine cover, your options are shortened down to the Fender Mount or the Standard Mount.

2. For the hoses, you can use the hose that comes with the can, or if you would like to give a little dress up to your engine bay we sell the braided lines with different color fittings.

Speedlogix Braided Line Upgrade Kit 05-09 300, Challenger, Charger, Magnum SE 3.5L, R/T 5.7L, SRT8 6.1L

3. You can just unscrew the bottom of the SX/BT can at every oil change to empty the can. You can leave the lines attached :)

Hope this helps!
Mikey

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I will be glad to help you out with this!

1. The Mount depends on where you want it to go. With the SX/BT can you have three choices - Standard (Off the front of the motor on the Water Pump Bolt), Fender Mount (Puts the can over by the window washer fluid bottle), or Z Bracket (mounts it to the passenger side head). For a 5.7L - if you want to keep the engine cover, your options are shortened down to the Fender Mount or the Standard Mount.

2. For the hoses, you can use the hose that comes with the can, or if you would like to give a little dress up to your engine bay we sell the braided lines with different color fittings.

Speedlogix Braided Line Upgrade Kit 05-09 300, Challenger, Charger, Magnum SE 3.5L, R/T 5.7L, SRT8 6.1L

3. You can just unscrew the bottom of the SX/BT can at every oil change to empty the can. You can leave the lines attached :)

Hope this helps!
Mikey
Thanks for answering all my questions!

Here is a picture of my engine compartment to give you an idea of where I may put the can

As you can see I have the SRT8 airbox on my RT, so there is no silencer. I could probably put the catch can screwed on the engine stud. The BT catch can comes with two pieces of rubber hosing to attach. I don't think I'll need the fancy braided stuff, although it does look nice.

That link to Speedy's garage was great! Thank you. It gives me a better idea about installing one. I have a question, when you unscrew the bottom to take out the oil, isn't it cramped down there what with the radiator fan and all?

Thanks

EDIT: It looks as though my IAT sensor coming out of my air intake tube may be in the way of the hose coming from the catch can. Will this be a problem?

·
Banned
811 Posts
EDIT: It looks as though my IAT sensor coming out of my air intake tube may be in the way of the hose coming from the catch can. Will this be a problem?
The fittings on the can top can be turned. Rotate the driver's side fitting up so that the hose can run over the IAT sensor.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
You can mount it on the stud, or if you want some more room, you could do the z bracket

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can mount it on the stud, or if you want some more room, you could do the z bracket
Cool, so if I mount it on the stud (front of engine) I can rotate the fittings to go over the IAT?

You mentioned a Z bracket, do you have a picture of how that would look on the car?

Thanks. Very close to getting one just wanting to make sure right location.

·
Registered
276 Posts

Here is a picture of my engine compartment to give you an idea of where I may put the can

As you can see I have the SRT8 airbox on my RT, so there is no silencer. I could probably put the catch can screwed on the engine stud. The BT catch can comes with two pieces of rubber hosing to attach. I don't think I'll need the fancy braided stuff, although it does look nice.

That link to Speedy's garage was great! Thank you. It gives me a better idea about installing one. I have a question, when you unscrew the bottom to take out the oil, isn't it cramped down there what with the radiator fan and all?

Thanks

Just to give you a different perspectrive, I went with a more home grown option. Used a Husky oil/air separator from Home depot, And since I can see you still have the bracket for the R/T air tube, I used it to support the sheetmetal bracket I fabricated to mount the can. Used standard hose fittings which I painted once I had it setup.

Was going for an install that has a more stock look and not as much of a bling appearance. Works great, and meets my needs. Here are some pics for you as reference.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Hmmm, very clever of you. I compliment you on your creativity and execution.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I went with a Speedlogix/Moroso catch can. It's about $155 in black. The BT in black is around $120? The nice thing about the Moroso is that it has a drain valve at the bottom.

Attached is a stock Moroso photo that shows the drain valve. The black Speedlogix model is VERY nice looking. I cheaped out on the hoses and used the standard hoses that come with the unit. Most of the hose is under the engine cover.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went with a Speedlogix/Moroso catch can. It's about $155 in black. The BT in black is around $120? The nice thing about the Moroso is that it has a drain valve at the bottom.

Attached is a stock Moroso photo that shows the drain valve. The black Speedlogix model is VERY nice looking. I cheaped out on the hoses and used the standard hoses that come with the unit. Most of the hose is under the engine cover.
I really like that Moroso catch can! It looks like it comes with a bracket that puts it in a very good place, right in front of the engine compartment. Did you need any extra tools to install it? Also I'm not picky I'd use the hoses that it came with. It's over $50 more than the BT, though. However I like the location of where it puts the can.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I really like that Moroso catch can! It looks like it comes with a bracket that puts it in a very good place, right in front of the engine compartment. Did you need any extra tools to install it? Also I'm not picky I'd use the hoses that it came with. It's over $50 more than the BT, though. However I like the location of where it puts the can.
The kit came with everything. No special tools. I did place the nut that had previously held the stock airbox/silencer in place behind the bracket that comes with the new catch can. It pushed the can away from the engine a little so that it cleared everything.

The black Speedlogix can is REALLY sharp. Unless you're gonna go with the satin can for around $100, the black Moroso is only about $30 more than the black BT. To me, it's worth the extra cash. For no extra charge, Speedlogix will assemble everything for you.

You have to cut the hose. They send one long piece. I cut the long one first and there was plenty left for the short one. Only about 6" of extra, though, so don't waste any.

One end of the stock hose was a PITA to get off (the connection toward the rear of the engine). I kept twisting on it until it broke lose. Once it broke lose, it came right off.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
The kit came with everything. No special tools. I did place the nut that had previously held the stock airbox/silencer in place behind the bracket that comes with the new catch can. It pushed the can away from the engine a little so that it cleared everything.

The black Speedlogix can is REALLY sharp. Unless you're gonna go with the satin can for around $100, the black Moroso is only about $30 more than the black BT. To me, it's worth the extra cash. For no extra charge, Speedlogix will assemble everything for you.

You have to cut the hose. They send one long piece. I cut the long one first and there was plenty left for the short one. Only about 6" of extra, though, so don't waste any.

One end of the stock hose was a PITA to get off (the connection toward the rear of the engine). I kept twisting on it until it broke lose. Once it broke lose, it came right off.
Thanks for the props, the can looks great!

To the OP, here is a link to the Moroso can
Speedlogix Billet Catch Can by Moroso 05-10 300, Charger, Challenger, Magnum 5.7L, 6.1L

·
Registered
629 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks for the props, the can looks great!

To the OP, here is a link to the Moroso can
Speedlogix Billet Catch Can by Moroso 05-10 300, Charger, Challenger, Magnum 5.7L, 6.1L
Thanks for the link, but with regular shipping it's almost $20! That's a bit much for me. I see Maryland speed has the BT one for less shipping. I do, however, like the Moroso unit better.

Does anyone know where I can get the Moroso unit for cheaper, or if not, at least lower shipping cost?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just ordered my MOROSO catch can from the Speedlogistics. I think the Moroso one is the best, as far as placement and dispensing of the used oil. Hopefully I will receive by the end of next week, doubt it though.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I just ordered my MOROSO catch can from the Speedlogistics. I think the Moroso one is the best, as far as placement and dispensing of the used oil. Hopefully I will receive by the end of next week, doubt it though.
I ordered mine on a Monday afternoon and it showed up on Friday.

·
Registered
490 Posts

Now go wipe down your engine - dirty for 4200 miles! :8:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been reading the posts in this thread and I’m interested in the Z bracket. It looks like the Z bracket was made for 6.1L engines. Will it work with 5.7L? I'd like to locate the catch can in an area where it's more accessible. I currently have it mounted on the intake bolt stud, and it's a bear to unscrew bottom of catch can.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.