Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys saw catch cans as a neasisary bolt on. I understand the consept of what it does but if hemis are so notorious for this why wouldn't the factory address this? If y'all could fill me with more information I would appreciate it

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Probably two reasons. 1. Money. Chrysler would have to fess up a lot before vehicles even went into production. Every part on a car is beat down to the lowest cost to improve the profit margin. Catch cans are not necessary at least for the length of the warranty. Then they make money fixing soaked gaskets and fouled sensors. 2. It requires maintenance and we all know how every driver in America meticulously adheres to their maintenance schedule.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
A few reasons:

1. Emissions ie one more place for connections and oil to be outside the engine
2. Maintenance one more thing the owner has to maintain, and empty regularly, I think this is a bigger reason really.

They are an important mod IMO for any Hemi, and well worth it.

We do have several options in stock

Original style from UPR
UPR Billet Oil Catch Can 05-14 Challenger, Charger, 300, Magnum 5.7L, 6.1L

Moroso with a drain
Moroso Catch Can w/ Drain 05-14 Challenger, Charger, 300, Magnum HEMI

Ultimate catch can from AAD
Speedlogix AAD Billet Oil Catch Can

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Would you recommend one I got a 2014 with about 1500 miles
I absolutely would recommend one. I changed my oil at 5k intervals and my catch can was 2/3 to 3/4 full each time. It hurts nothing and if you end up keeping the vehicle for a long time, will probably save a good chunk of money at some point in time. I think it was Speedlogix who posted pictures of two throttle bodies from engines of equal mileage and not that much to boot. One had a catch can and the other not. the difference in crud buildup was incredible.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Simple insurance for an investment I say. I see what I drain from my Moroso catch can and am always amazed. I would rather not have the oil in the intake. Purely personal choice, but the post above have a lot of merit. Cost and customer maintenance abilities is why I believe these are not a factory installed part. Most people are too lazy to drain a catch can, they barely get the proper oil changes completed on time.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts
Reactions: wasp392

·
Registered
529 Posts
Catch cans?? Snake oil! you don't need a stinkin catch can!!!
Just kidding, I'm going to add a 2nd in my build.
Has anyone ever run a drain line back into the oil pan? I saw this on a race car

·
Registered
178 Posts
Not to hijack the Ops thread, but seriously, I wonder how many folks are going with something that isn't the norm for catch cans?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Not to hijack the Ops thread, but seriously, I wonder how many folks are going with something that isn't the norm for catch cans?
Time to modify a beer can. I can't believe people really pay $200+ for a 3 oz CAN and a couple of hoses, guess there is one born every minute.

Wonder what makes them 10 TIMES better than something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/750ML-BLUE-TURBO-OIL-CATCH-RESERVOIR-TANK-CAN-HONDA-ACURA-TOYOTA-NISSAN-/230910504675?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ADodge%7CModel%3AChallenger&hash=item35c356aee3&vxp=mtr

·
Super Moderator
14,910 Posts
Catch cans?? Snake oil! you don't need a stinkin catch can!!!
Just kidding, I'm going to add a 2nd in my build.
Has anyone ever run a drain line back into the oil pan? I saw this on a race car
That's not a good idea. The liquid in your catch can is not pure oil. Did you ever smell it? It's really a nasty brew of several things, including condensed gasoline and a small amount of water.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The oil in the catch cans is produced by BLOW-BY from the pistons moving up and down and the pressure buildup in the crankcase. It's oil/water and byproducts of combustion. It's taken by the PVC system up to the TB to be re-burned by the engine. Modern all aluminum engines have looser tolerances when cold to allow for expansion so they tend to have more crankcase pressures than the old iron beasts. Some guys put the old style breather elements in the valve covers or oil filler tube to equalize the pressures inside the engine (it's MESSY though since that muck quickly dirties that filter).

The catch can is also a big topic over on one of the Vette boards I frequent for the same issues.

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
WOW, $250 for a small metal can and a couple of hoses.
You can always build your own cheap from water/oil separators found at the hardware store. When someone drops that kind of coin for a catch can, it then has a dual purpose of functionality and aesthetics (bling). I've had the BT cans and was very impressed with the quality and duability and it looked darn good when I popped the hood. I mean, isn't that why we bought Challengers? We could have had similar functionality with the Mustang or Camaro, but we wanted something that looks good too!

·
Registered
519 Posts
and while we're on the topic, does anyone know if i can cut this off without throwing codes or knocking the planet off it's axis? what is this thing?

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
and while we're on the topic, does anyone know if i can cut this off without throwing codes or knocking the planet off it's axis? what is this thing?

It's a resonator to cut down on engine noise. You can cut it off and plug the hole or you can buy the air duct for the Charger which is exactly the same except no resonator.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts