Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard a catch can is a really good buy for many reasons. If I don't choose to buy one will I notice any significant damage?

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
Without an oil catch can, oil and burnt oils (i.e., blow-by) will make their way into the PCV line. The PCV line will then recycle these burnt solids back into your intake manifold which will, over time, increase the level of carbon solids, and reduce the octane of your air/fuel mixture and cause detonation. To protect your engine, the PCM will retard timing, thereby reducing your engine power. Isn't an investment of $100 worth preventing this?

I suggest that you read this informative article about catch cans:

Oil Catch Cans | Everything you need to know and more!

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Alright. I'll check it out. I was wondering if it made any difference to wear I mount it aswell.
I don't know what engine you have, but from what I've seen, each engine has a particular area that is convenient.

For instance, I have a 2016 SXT that has this nice loop on the passenger's side inner fender to mount a catch can. I mounted it to the left of the window washer bottle.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
633 Posts
My 2016 Scat Pack has 6400 miles, has had a BT catch can since about 2000 miles. Photo of the catch cans shows what it collected in approximately 2000 miles. I removed the intake manifold 2 days ago, the other 2 photos show a portion of what the catch can failed to collect. Notice the puddle of oil on top of the intake valve. (The car had not been run in about a week) The intake runners were not wet but definitely had a coating of oil.

There have been debates on this forum about how much of the blow by is collected by a catch can. If I recall the estimates were 50% to 85%. The photos clearly show the catch cans collects a lot but not all blow by.

IMO, a catch can is a must. I don't know how much damage the oil and junk does to the engine but for sure engines were not designed to burn this crap. Spending $100 to $150 to keep the crap out of the combustion chamber is a great investment.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
My opinion is that if you have a catch can you're a moron who wasted their money on an unneeded engine mod and if you don't have a catch can you're a moron who needs to pony up a few bucks for a excellent engine mod. Oh and I don't know what a catch can is...do I need one? Oh wait I have one...$60 for can and accessories from fleabay. Don't know if it "looks good" or adds any bling

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
633 Posts
My SRT8 catch can at 4,000 miles since last emptying....

Any questions???

Your photo as well as many others are conclusive evidence that catch cans reduce the amount of blow by entering the intake ports. Over time I think the build up on intake manifold and head would cause a performance issue. However I was somewhat relieved that the back of the intake valve remains clean. (See photos in post 10 of this thread) I'm wondering if blow by would be an even bigger issue in a direct injection engine where the injectors aren't washing the back of the valve.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
my father has a chevy truck that is direct injected and there issue is water condensation.. the can will half fill up with water on top of the oil.. it is nuts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts