Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As usual I took the pic then realized I had it bassackwards, there is a check valve,after reversing it actually fit much better than the pic shows.I would like to take credit for this money saving mod($16.63)but I found it on three different sites.Mustang,Ls1, and Corvette forum and it's been old news since 2007. The polycarbonate tank is rated for 300*f to -30*f.No one reported any problems after extensive use.The bottom drain is spring loaded closed and appears fairly simple to drain.Forced induction had much more oil than normally aspirated engines.Mine with 40 1/8th mile passes in the last three months only had at most a tablespoon of oil, when I swapped throttle bodies last week.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
If it works properly You are going to be draining that veeeeerrrrrry frequently

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had 2800 miles and the aforementioned 40 passes and there simply wasn't that much oil in my intake. My C5vette had none after 35,000 miles. The zo6 and heads/cam cars had some oil but nothing like I'm seeing here.It showed up as a problem on the Mustangs around 2005 which was one of the sites where I found the Kobalt air/liquid separator.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Awww it's just a wittol guy. :ladysman: Never seen a catch can that small. Hey how do you like your Fastman? Any track results?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ported throttle body good for 5-10 hp, but the drivability factor is awesome,torque under the curve makes driving a blast.I'd heard that term a zillion times but this is the 1st time I ever felt it.Quality of Fastmans work is second to none.If I were going to to a supercharger or a cam,heads setup I would choose his 84mm model in a NY minute.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have a FastMan true 84 with all the options on my 6.1. All I can say about that is wow. Much better response and low end torque, helped the drive-ability as well. Dan's work is second to nobody, that's a fact.

Other mods ARH long tubes, catless mids, Borla cat back, 180'F TStat, CRM tune. I added the TB as the last mod nothing else changed not even the tune.

Engine burns no oil but I have a catch can and usually an ounce or 2 of oil every 1000 miles or so. That would all be in the intake without it. When I changed the TB I did some cleaning and added the catch can.

--CC

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
As usual I took the pic then realized I had it bassackwards, there is a check valve,after reversing it actually fit much better than the pic shows.I would like to take credit for this money saving mod($16.63)but I found it on three different sites.Mustang,Ls1, and Corvette forum and it's been old news since 2007. The polycarbonate tank is rated for 300*f to -30*f.No one reported any problems after extensive use.The bottom drain is spring loaded closed and appears fairly simple to drain.Forced induction had much more oil than normally aspirated engines.Mine with 40 1/8th mile passes in the last three months only had at most a tablespoon of oil, when I swapped throttle bodies last week.

Do you usually keep the plastic cowl on the engine? Aesthetically it's not very pleasing, but I suppose if the cowl is on it doesn't matter anyways.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Lashlarue, did you remove the PCV valve with that. or are you running them both together. did you leave the PCV in place and added that is check valve. the reason you arent accumulating a bunch of oil is that your engine is trying to push thru 2 check valves. any case, ITS A FAIL. it looks like you built a catch can from a Lowe's water separator for a air compressor.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
oh my, no comment!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It catches any oil that leaves the PCV,it wasn't an original idea, the C5corvette Ls1 guys were using the same system at least 5 years ago.Kobalt calls it a liquid/air separator and it works with oil just as well as water.The point being no oil is getting into my intake manifold.Which I thought was the purpose all along.You don't like how it looks, cant see it with the engine cover or the hood closed.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
just my thought , there needs to be an area for the oil to condense. the mettle and larger area of a real catchcan helps to do that. 'm guessing you are just blowing most of it through. maybe someone who knows what they are talking about can help , not sayin i do. a lot of folks think a catchcan is BS, i put a billet teck on my rt and i get a lot of oil in it every few months. good luck with yours.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Lashlarue, did you ask the "srt insider" about a factory catchcan option for the future?

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
It catches any oil that leaves the PCV,it wasn't an original idea, the C5corvette Ls1 guys were using the same system at least 5 years ago.Kobalt calls it a liquid/air separator and it works with oil just as well as water.The point being no oil is getting into my intake manifold.Which I thought was the purpose all along.You don't like how it looks, cant see it with the engine cover or the hood closed.
If it works as intended that thing will be full in 1000 miles or less, if it isn't, than the oil is simply bypassing it to the PCV.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are basing your assumptions on the BT catchcan that has the catchcan mounted 2-3" below the level of the PCV.Part of my education was at GMI(general motors institute) now known as the Kettering Institute, so I have some background in automotive engineering.For some reason not all PCV equipped engines allow oil to enter the intake manifold.My 98 C5 allowed none in 35k miles,other C5s allowed a teaspoon or so between oil changes.The fancy high dollar catchcans have by design allowed gravity into their equation.They are no longer catchcans but rather gravity operated crankcase oil removers.Long before there was a PCV it was common practice to add 4oz of oil to a tankful of gasoline. It was a light oil and its main purpose was to lubricate the valve stem seals. I don't know if thats anymore true than having a teaspoon of oil which in most cases never leaves the intake manifold, could reduce 3-5 HP by just accumilating there. I tend to operate on the premise of PT Barnum. "There is a sucker born every minute". I havent been active on Corvetteforum.com or Ls1tech.com since 2006, I sold my C5 in Jan 2007.The Kobalt liquid air separator wasn't availalable then, but the Campbell Hausfeld was, there were some of them in use on C5's that had some oil leakage problems.In closing do not insult my intelligence with dyno numbers put out by the same people who are profiting by selling them.If Dodge hasn't seen fit to sell them or make changes in the design of their system, then there is no serious problem with a small amount of oil in the intake manifold.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
don't get all upset, you posted people gave you their opinions, didn't see anyone "In closing do not insult my intelligence "
kinda funny here " If Dodge hasn't seen fit to sell them or make changes in the design of their system, then there is no serious problem with a small amount of oil in the intake manifold. ". then why did you attempt to put a catch can on your car?? hinda like talking out of both sides of your mouth at the same time. relax bro, don't post if you are not willing to accept feedback. its a forum.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
You are basing your assumptions on the BT catchcan that has the catchcan mounted 2-3" below the level of the PCV.Part of my education was at GMI(general motors institute) now known as the Kettering Institute, so I have some background in automotive engineering.For some reason not all PCV equipped engines allow oil to enter the intake manifold.My 98 C5 allowed none in 35k miles,other C5s allowed a teaspoon or so between oil changes.The fancy high dollar catchcans have by design allowed gravity into their equation.They are no longer catchcans but rather gravity operated crankcase oil removers.Long before there was a PCV it was common practice to add 4oz of oil to a tankful of gasoline. It was a light oil and its main purpose was to lubricate the valve stem seals. I don't know if thats anymore true than having a teaspoon of oil which in most cases never leaves the intake manifold, could reduce 3-5 HP by just accumilating there. I tend to operate on the premise of PT Barnum. "There is a sucker born every minute". I havent been active on Corvetteforum.com or Ls1tech.com since 2006, I sold my C5 in Jan 2007.The Kobalt liquid air separator wasn't availalable then, but the Campbell Hausfeld was, there were some of them in use on C5's that had some oil leakage problems.In closing do not insult my intelligence with dyno numbers put out by the same people who are profiting by selling them.If Dodge hasn't seen fit to sell them or make changes in the design of their system, then there is no serious problem with a small amount of oil in the intake manifold.

Oil and gasoline do not mix well (if at all) and the oil would sit at the bottom of the tank like a sludge of a mess. What lubricated intake valve stems was the lead in gasoline way back when.That was one of it's purposes.

·
Banned
903 Posts
Well excuse me for posting my opinion, it still looks cheesey to me!
I really don't understand your comment on the gravity feed on the catch can, the Moroso catch can I have is not mounted below the pcv point, so there should be nothing but oil vapor entering the catch can.
I don't have any automotive engineering back ground experience but I have worked in the petrochemical refining process' for 21 yrs so I do have considerable back ground on oil vapor flows and how temps & pressures affect them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts