Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello –

Looking to find horsepower/performance gains on a 6-speed R/T with the following modifications –

Catless Mid-Pipes
Long-tubes/Doug Thorley Tri-Y’s

Also, if a proper dyno tune is done, are they able to eliminate the check-engine light being triggered? Would probably couple this with a pair of Flowmaster Super 44s to keep the noise/drone down a tad over of the Super 40s. If tuned, does it really smell that bad?

Not looking to get too crazy – just planning the future mods…in my mind. Was hoping to find either some dyno graphs, or some time slips to confirm the improvement of the parts addition.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've heard 20-30 hp gains, had seen someones dyno sheet but can't remember who's. A custom tune will be able to turn off the o2 sensors which is giving the Cel as well as mellow out the smell.
Only thing is the super 44's, that's really not a muffler to keep the noise and drone down, it's a pretty aggressive muffler.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm running an 09 SRT8 6spd with ARH long tubes and catless mids. You will find that pulling the cats gives good power but the volume increases significantly, I do mean a lot. I've also been through a couple cat-backs ... MBRP is by far the best sounding [ especially catless ] BUT ... BUT the drone is mind numbing at highway cruise. Around town you can live with it. Damn it sounds good. I've tried corsa which is by far the WORST fitting system ever with the worlds worst support too. Sounds like a ricer but has no drone, none, zip, nada. I've settled on a Borla. Fits great, zero drone at highway speeds, and sounds mean as hell outside the car, isn't as loud as the other 2, but still sounds really good. My vote goes to Borla. Again, if you run catless it becomes a completely different ball game.

As for the O2 codes, get a mail order tune and have them turn it off as well as all the other stuff like lower temp TStat, CAI, headers, catless, cat back, yada, yada ... Only time you'll smell anything is when the engine is cold and then only if you're behind the car, give it 2 minutes and no gas smell.

Also, a 6.1 has no variable cam crap and no MDS either. Those things will change the sound a little.

--CC

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Just by removing my cats only I gained from 13:teens to 12:90. Gas smell It dont bother me. Not that bad. Noise, yep it get louder. Diffrent growll. I have 44s and I used 2 1/2 dia x 14in straight through glass packs at the back to kill drone and mellow sound some. Iv tryed every way one could with exhaust. MDS mine is off full time. VVT cam, makes lots of tq and hp from the bottom to the top. Tuning is avaiable by the right tuner.
FT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.