Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have BBs resonated glasspacks on my 13 RT 6 speed. I like the sound and can live with the drone. I am considering going with JBA catless mids also for a little more noise! At this point I am not really that concerned about increase in performance, but I do like a healthy sounding Hemi! I was planning on using spark plug foulers to avoid the code. With this do any harm to my vehicle? Is it necessary for me to get a tune so I can turn off the O2 sensors? Any suggestions or thought? I am not really interested in a catback system for what it would cost me.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
You may or may not pass inspection.
You may or may not have CELs.
It will be louder.
It will smell bad.

easier to remove your resonators as you don't seem to mind the drone. Going catless will drone much worse.
High Flow cats may be louder if that is your main goal.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had JBA catless mids for about a year. Didn't need to turn off O2 sensers, did spark plug foulers and never threw codes. Without a tune you'll definitely smell gas fumes, after tuning you'll still smell fumes but not as bad. I saw a video on youtube of the setup your going for, sounded good.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw that same setup! It is what got me hooked!i am concerned about the fumes. I hadn't heard that before.

I had JBA catless mids for about a year. Didn't need to turn off O2 sensers, did spark plug foulers and never threw codes. Without a tune you'll definitely smell gas fumes, after tuning you'll still smell fumes but not as bad. I saw a video on youtube of the setup your going for, sounded good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I have JBA catless mids with antifoulers and BB glasspacks in my 6-speed R/T. No codes, and after getting a custom tune from Johan, not all that stinky. Matter of fact, the drone went substantially down after getting the tune too. I love it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I saw that same setup! It is what got me hooked!i am concerned about the fumes. I hadn't heard that before.
Just a word of warning my friend. I had ran catless on my 2003 BMW M3 last year and it was a decision I regretted heavily. In the summer time I was getting drowned in exhaust fumes while sitting at lights. I found it would stick to my clothing too.

The other gripe is the engine light.

The two combined was more than enough to steer me away from doing it again. I read up on it and shrugged off all the warnings from fellow members on the M3 forums, but I soon realized why folks were warning me.

The smell alone was enough to change my mind for future builds.

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
It will get louder by dumping the cats. At that level you wont get much HP if any.
If you are a blower motor, big cams heavy mods dumping the cats made a big drop in my et and added some mph out the back. So in my case, made a considerable diffrence.
On the smell deal, I dunno on that one. I dont have any "Bad" smell, everything goes out the tailpipe behind me. So nothing in the car far as fumes go. I course have it tuned, but that shouldnt matter cause the 02s are searching for an air fuel ratio of 14.6, if you have cats or not have cats the pcm trys to hold that 14.6 A/F ratio so shouldnt be lean or fat at idle or part throttle, wot it goes to closed loop in the pcm and the a/f ratio goes as commanded in the speed density software.
The set of 02s behind the cats are only for when cats go bad to throw a code.
I do smell that sweet sweet smell of $8.50 a gallon race fuel when I walk behind it, or fire it up in the garage.
In the 70sand early 80s cars would smell like rotton eggs or sulfer egg water from the exhaust fumes when cats became madatory. Why I dont know, maybe more sulfer in the fuel i guess.
FlatTop

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I imagine the smell comes from unburned hydrocarbons.

Here again, my catless mids throw zero codes (must use antifoulers) and do not smell bad at all. The only time I can smell a faint exhaust smell is after backing into my garage and only after getting out of the car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My catless mids throw zero codes by way of a custom tune. No anti fouler needed. Of course I have an aftermarket cam and straight through exhaust from the headers to the tips so I needed a tune, but if a guy is thinking of getting a tune anyway it's a simple as that.

As far as the smell goes, if you stand behind the car you get the glorious aroma of fuel and fun, but inside the cab it smells fine.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I had catless Prochamber on my Mustang GT and I rather enjoyed the fumes! Smelled like old school American muscle to me. :pinklove:

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
My catless mids throw zero codes by way of a custom tune. No anti fouler needed. Of course I have an aftermarket cam and straight through exhaust from the headers to the tips so I needed a tune, but if a guy is thinking of getting a tune anyway it's a simple as that.
I have heard conflicting reports on this. Some say as you and report that their tuner was able to set the tuning as to not throw a CEL.

Others however reported that their tuner turned off the rear O2 sensors resulting in no CEL, however their car wouldn't pass the readiness test for emission testing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In the end, I think I am going to go with Magnaflow Competition. The video posted by speedysgarage made the decision for me. That and the wife encourage me to get it. :) So, here shortly I will have a very very low mileage Blastin Bob resonated glasspack package for sale.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts