Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the fence about long tubes with or without cats, catless mids, or just leave it alone. I will be installing a Procharger on my stock 2015 SRT 392 so not looking to be a 9 million HP street car but would like to get the most I can reliably on a 6 psi stock 392. First, just how bad is the gas smell. I had no cats on my cammed 2013 Ram 1500 and it was fine. My challenger is also a school bus and don't want my kid to smell like gas all day nor trash the interior. I am in SWFL so AC is always on. If the windows are up all the time, how much will really sneak in? I like the idea of catless mids so I can have the second O2 port for my wideband, a little less restriction, a little more noise, easy install in my driveway and be able to put everything back to stock if I chose to get rid of the car at a later date. Long tubes I know will give me more power but not sure there is enough to gain to install long tubes for the cost especially if I have to add green cats because of FI. Can some of the idle raw fuel be tuned out if I drop the cats? I assume the factory 392 cats are the same as the Hellcats so I assume they would be fine with the power level I will be running. Anyone running catless mids and regret that decision?

·
Registered
873 Posts
I run catless on my 13 rt.

I think the sound of longtubes makes it well worth it. Catless gets you closer to the open header crackle sound (if you don’t run mufflers like me).
I run longtubes, no cats, x pipe and turndowns just under the middle of the car. At stop lights you can smell the “no cat smell” with the windows down, you can’t with the windows up. If you are used to the smell, it’s not a problem.

On a supercharged setup, I think the hp increase will be worth it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
Do long tubes with cats. I've done both on my supercharged 5.7 and it's much better with cats. The sound difference is almost negligible tbh. And anyone who rides in the car will smell like gas, especially with the supercharged setup where you may be running a tad richer than normal to be safe on a 392 (atleast under boost). I was catless for almost 2 years btw, never going back.
The main issue with the smell isnt even while driving, it's when you get out and walk around the car, the smell will linger on your clothes the rest of the day, eventually you will get used to it but everyone else will smell you. And forget about drive thrus

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do long tubes with cats. I've done both on my supercharged 5.7 and it's much better with cats. The sound difference is almost negligible tbh. And anyone who rides in the car will smell like gas, especially with the supercharged setup where you may be running a tad richer than normal to be safe on a 392 (atleast under boost). I was catless for almost 2 years btw, never going back.
The main issue with the smell isnt even while driving, it's when you get out and walk around the car, the smell will linger on your clothes the rest of the day, eventually you will get used to it but everyone else will smell you. And forget about drive thrus
Do you think at 6 psi I could use reg cats or are the green cats a must. I have no plans to go over 6 psi. The closest track to me is 1.5 hours away. I may go once or twice just for the heck of it but mostly a street car with some spirited driving in Mexico from time to time. Kooks with green cats with coating as I live in SWFL is pricey. I am also lowered. Is the juice worth the squeeze?

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
Do you think at 6 psi I could use reg cats or are the green cats a must. I have no plans to go over 6 psi. The closest track to me is 1.5 hours away. I may go once or twice just for the heck of it but mostly a street car with some spirited driving in Mexico from time to time. Kooks with green cats with coating as I live in SWFL is pricey. I am also lowered. Is the juice worth the squeeze?
Never seen the coatings really worth the money unless they're thrown in for a sale. Doesn't matter if you get green cats or regular, the green cats just have a better chance at passing emissions as far as I know. I'm running stainless works "stainless power" and they only offer one 200 cell high flow cat option. My car is also my daily with infrequent track use since they closed englishtowns 1/4 mile, shame cuz it's a 10 minute drive from my house. But yea the cats you choose is really dependant on emissions, which I hear is loose in florida?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts