Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any performance gains to be had by replacing the stock 392 mid pipes and cats with aftermarket pipes with or without "high flow cats"? If the pipes are replaced with aftermarket pieces with provisions for O2 sensors are there any emission or control issues? Most discussions on mid pipes focus on sound, I'm only interested in the performance aspect.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Someone out there must have gone down this wormhole!:grin2:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Word on the street is a cat delete is worth 12 to 15 more H.P. but exhaust smell is like the good ol' 60's lol. Having my cats removed but set up for a quick bolt on re-install in case I don't like it or when emissions time comes around.

·
Vendor
12,578 Posts
Are there any performance gains to be had by replacing the stock 392 mid pipes and cats with aftermarket pipes with or without "high flow cats"? If the pipes are replaced with aftermarket pieces with provisions for O2 sensors are there any emission or control issues? Most discussions on mid pipes focus on sound, I'm only interested in the performance aspect.
results will depends on the brand, yes long tubes and high quality flow cats can increase performance dramatically, in some case 30/40 hps, sometime even more depending on the application, however passing emissions can be a concern, a very strong concern
Luke

·
Registered
178 Posts
You'll see gains wit no cats, doubt the HF cats will give you much gain over stock cats, but they could buy you not having to pay for a fine in some states, you'll be toasted in CA with no cats or HF cats. i've been down this route, for 10rwhp or so, you get a lot of gas smell which you won't be able to hide, and a lot more noise. i'd rather do HF cats, just to keep the smell/noise somehow in good health. sometimes the 02 simulators work, most of the time they don't, but i never tried in the Dodge application, disabling the cat tests, rear 02's and all the pertinent DTC's for the cats do work 100% via tuning, though again, i haven't done this with a Dodge, i learned my lesson the hard way, with almost a $5000 bill, so i won't mess with my cats ever again unless the car was a trailer queen, dedicated to track purposes :)

Reactions: Trimec

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
The Hellcat (and probably Demon as well) - same part # for cats as the Scat Pack and SRT 392 application

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Hellcat (and probably Demon as well) - same part # for cats as the Scat Pack and SRT 392 application
The fact that 707 and 840 HP engines use the same exhaust system as the 485 HP engine is the reason I decided to investigate user experiences with mid pipe modifications. As well, it appears that most high end exhaust manufacturers are offering non catted mid pipes for off road use only and not offering catted mid pipes for 2015 and up 6.4L Challengers.

Thanks to all who shared their thoughts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts