Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed 2014 R/T Chin Spoiler for 2011+ SRT8 Chin Spoiler

Writing this since I never could find a source of info for my exact change that I wanted to do. So in case someone else is out there with my situation, may this serve to help guide you a little bit. I've read mixed opinions on this so I'm giving you the clean facts right here and now.

I typically research things before jumping in to them, but that was not the case here.

I added a chin spoiler to my mustang and it took all of 20 minutes, a couple bolts, and a few pop rivets. I thought that it would be similar when I wanted to switch my 2014 R/T Shaker Chin Spoiler with a larger style.

I found a 2011-2014 SRT8 Chin Spoiler for $110 online and I assumed that it would work on my model (it did) so I ordered it. 2 Nights and 8 hours later, it's finally on. I did NOT want to remove my front fascia and I had read a few sources say it was possible to do the swap without removing it, but no one had any strong details on how to do it. People with even the most detailed write ups would ALWAYS skip crucial details on how to remove the factory chin spoiler in the center. It was very very aggravating when I was neck deep in the process with pop rivets, bolts, screws, and plastic guarding all over the garage floor.
Below are the facts from my experience:

- It is possible to install the 2011+ SRT8 chin spoiler in place of your 2014 R/T chin spoiler. It may not be worth it without some guidance because you will face much pain and spend alot of time doing it. I only swapped the chin spoiler by itself and not the brake cooling vent work, which was quite expensive.
- You can do this without removing the front fascia, but it is EXTREMELY difficult and you WILL damage some hardware beyond reuse (metal clips)
- You can NOT do this without having the car elevated (lift, jackstands, or wheel ramps
- You will likely need to repurchase some new hardware or get creative with zip ties in lieu of the original hardware (This isn' t necessarily bad since it is ridiculously overdone in terms of fastening to the vehicle as it is [like 12 Bolts, multiple pop rivets, complete sandwiching between other fixed components)
- You'll have small openings remaining in the front wheel well where the chin spoiler doesn't integrate entirely with the factory setup to seal the fog lamp compartment.
- The chin spoiler is nested with the lower grill, which also serves as reinforcement inside the chin spoiler. you can not remove the chin spoiler without removing the lower grill piece, which is a HUGE HUGE HUGE pain. Not on the 2014 at least. Trust me.

If you do want some additional details, just let me know.

It looks awesome once it's done since the SRT8 lips have larger corners and 'wings' in front of the front wheels similar to the Scat Pack chin spoilers. Just wanted to put some additional insight out there for folks that may be in my same situation.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
I will add to your caution, did the swap on a 2014 (#4) and found the issues you have laid out. I had clips and mounting points damaged as I did not want to remove front cover, but it held with no issues under all types of driving for over 10,000 miles....until we had a major rain event. I found it necessary to drive thru standing water with a line of other vehicles. I watched as 20 plus went thru so I followed with others in front and to the rear at same speed. I did not make it as the chin folded down and under allowing water to be sucked in the air intake then into the motor (hydro lock). My fault for not having secured chin correctly and then driving thru but insurance did cover it and I walked away with nearly 2,000 left over (thanks esurance). From my net search seems this is an issue even without chin failure in challengers and chargers, so I would advise all to take a minute and look at how low to the ground your air intake is as a guide just in case. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I found a 2011-2014 SRT8 Chin Spoiler for $110 online and I assumed that it would work on my model (it did) so I ordered it. 2 Nights and 8 hours later, it's finally on. I did NOT want to remove my front fascia and I had read a few sources say it was possible to do the swap without removing it, but no one had any strong details on how to do it.
Just curious, why didn't you want to take off the front fascia? I've had mine off at least a dozen times, it lines back up with the body lines perfectly and only takes about 20 minutes (max) to take off.

·
Vendor
12,268 Posts
Changed 2014 R/T Chin Spoiler for 2011+ SRT8 Chin Spoiler

Writing this since I never could find a source of info for my exact change that I wanted to do. So in case someone else is out there with my situation, may this serve to help guide you a little bit. I've read mixed opinions on this so I'm giving you the clean facts right here and now.

I typically research things before jumping in to them, but that was not the case here.

I added a chin spoiler to my mustang and it took all of 20 minutes, a couple bolts, and a few pop rivets. I thought that it would be similar when I wanted to switch my 2014 R/T Shaker Chin Spoiler with a larger style.

I found a 2011-2014 SRT8 Chin Spoiler for $110 online and I assumed that it would work on my model (it did) so I ordered it. 2 Nights and 8 hours later, it's finally on. I did NOT want to remove my front fascia and I had read a few sources say it was possible to do the swap without removing it, but no one had any strong details on how to do it. People with even the most detailed write ups would ALWAYS skip crucial details on how to remove the factory chin spoiler in the center. It was very very aggravating when I was neck deep in the process with pop rivets, bolts, screws, and plastic guarding all over the garage floor.
Below are the facts from my experience:

- It is possible to install the 2011+ SRT8 chin spoiler in place of your 2014 R/T chin spoiler. It may not be worth it without some guidance because you will face much pain and spend alot of time doing it. I only swapped the chin spoiler by itself and not the brake cooling vent work, which was quite expensive.
- You can do this without removing the front fascia, but it is EXTREMELY difficult and you WILL damage some hardware beyond reuse (metal clips)
- You can NOT do this without having the car elevated (lift, jackstands, or wheel ramps
- You will likely need to repurchase some new hardware or get creative with zip ties in lieu of the original hardware (This isn' t necessarily bad since it is ridiculously overdone in terms of fastening to the vehicle as it is [like 12 Bolts, multiple pop rivets, complete sandwiching between other fixed components)
- You'll have small openings remaining in the front wheel well where the chin spoiler doesn't integrate entirely with the factory setup to seal the fog lamp compartment.
- The chin spoiler is nested with the lower grill, which also serves as reinforcement inside the chin spoiler. you can not remove the chin spoiler without removing the lower grill piece, which is a HUGE HUGE HUGE pain. Not on the 2014 at least. Trust me.

If you do want some additional details, just let me know.

It looks awesome once it's done since the SRT8 lips have larger corners and 'wings' in front of the front wheels similar to the Scat Pack chin spoilers. Just wanted to put some additional insight out there for folks that may be in my same situation.
remove the fascia.....way easier, way easier and much quicker
Luke

1 - 4 of 4 Posts