Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into a bit of bad luck installing my new 87MM Throttle Body. I noticed that when I removed the throttle body screws, they seemed fairly loose.

When I went to tighten down the new throttle body, the threads were stripped on the two bottom bolts. I attempted to get the top bolts to torque to 105 in lbs and they were going to strip as well.

Just for clarification, my torque wrench is a CDI and is accurate on others bolts.

So... I ordered Ez-Lok press inserts for plastic. https://www.grainger.com/product/E-Z-LOK-Press-Insert-4ZU14

I ordered some 8-32 x 1.5 Hex screws as well.

The 8-32 press insert requires a 7/32 drill bit and you can essentially enlarge the existing holes with minimum effort. This also leaves plenty of meat in the plastic for the press inserts.

I also wanted to go with a 32 pitch bolt for better bite. I can't believe Dodge installed a M6-1 in plastic with no insert.

Hopefully this isn't a trend on the newer cars....

Hopefully this will work. I certainly believe the press inserts will hold 105 in lbs.

Reactions: btcm

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The threads were apparently ruined from the factory. I couldn't even get them to torque to 40 in lb's, much less 105 in lb.

snug is the best I could do and that wouldn't be enough.

I consider this a major design flaw. At the very least, a bolt with a finer thread should have been used.

Working in aerospace, I torque everything that I can... even down to 10 in lb's.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Did you buy the car new if not maybe the previous owner messed with it

·
Registered
61 Posts
had the same experience yesterday removing the throttle body bolts... I stripped out one bolts when trying to TQ. down to 105 in/lbs. which is what the specs. are. its amazing that they wouldn't have threaded brass inserts inside the plastic.. its hard to believe that those plastic threads will hold 105 in//lbs. of TQ.
I ended up ordering the EZ-LOK inserts also.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just to make sure, is your torque-wrench calibrated in inch pounds or foot pounds.

105 in lbs = 8.75 ft lbs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
yep... didn't even make it to 40 inch/lbs.. TQ... before the threads stripped out..

·
Registered
61 Posts
that would explain why I stripped the threads out... darn.. when I did a search on the TQ.specs for the throttle body bolts people were saying 105 inch/lbs.
I should've really research it more.. lesson learned..
thanks for the info. ChallyTatum…

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
This is a lesson learned the hard way. Always check your info twice before you do anything. When I read the original post, I thought, "105 inch pounds seems excessive!", and as I read along, I was right, this time. But in the past, I've screwed up a lot of parts and caused myself a lot of headaches because I didn't check into things before I did something. A friend learned a very hard lesson a couple of years ago when he put a cam in his 5.7 Hemi and ignored the warnings about valvetrain changes needed to go along with the cam, and it cost him an engine. Stickers that are brightly colored on a box are usually not to be ignored.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
that would explain why I stripped the threads out... darn.. when I did a search on the TQ.specs for the throttle body bolts people were saying 105 inch/lbs.
I should've really research it more.. lesson learned..
thanks for the info. ChallyTatum…

105 in/lbs is the torque for the intake manifold bolts.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,481 Posts
Don’t feel bad, I would have used 105 in. lbs. too:
image_1540289136285.jpg

That’s out of the ‘05-‘10 Chiltons manual for LXs:
image_1540289243969.jpg

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,481 Posts