Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody on here installed a CB radio in their Challenger? Yes, like in Smokey and the Bandit. Would love to put on in the car but can't think of a good place to mount it. Had one in my Avalanche and other than being fun to listen to the semi-truck drivers, it was useful here and there on road trips when you hit traffic. Oh, and an antenna on the back looks badass.

Cheers,
Roody

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
I bet you could fit the little Uniden Pro510XL in the armrest/console and run the speaker into the Challenger stereo. The challenging part will be antenna performance. You could slap on a mag-mount, but to do it right, you'd need a fixed/grounded mount with a proper tunable antenna. Probably the best place would be the center of the trunk lid (break out the drill).

If you do it, please post some picture.

·
Registered
184 Posts
It would be an awesome and unique project. I wouldn't do it on my own car but I would also love to see it. It probably would look pretty cool.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Here's a cheaper alternative:
To hear truck talk, buy a handheld scanner that covers the Trucker's Channel (Channel #9 I think)

Then download the Waze app for your smart phone to deal with traffic and smokies.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.

Danner, that's one of the ideas I had, but it would make the console near-useless otherwise (I keep a lot of stuff in there) and would also make changing channels difficult without taking your eyes entirely off the road. I had a magnetic antenna on the Avalanche for a while but eventually drilled through the rear bumper into the frame. Was much easier on the truck than it would be on the Challenger, that's for sure. Magnetic mount might be safest, actually.

btcaub, this isn't a project with focus on "functionality," it's as much for the novelty and fun aspect as it is to be able to use the CB as a serious means of communication. Waze is pretty great though.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a beautifully done setup, but there's no way in sh!t I am capable of that kind of electrical. And would prefer to not remove my passenger seat, as well. But if I had the time or knowledge, it would be a great answer...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just and FYI - It is illegal to have a scanner in your car in NY, and many other states.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you want it just for trips get a tuneable mag mount with a large magnet. The Wilson 5000 is a good choice and has a large magnetic base. Use a piece of panty hose underneath magnet and it will help protect the paint.

The antenna is tuneable by adjusting it's dept inside the coil. If it doesn't tune, you trim some off the whip with a dremel. Lately the stainless whips seem to be a bit long. I think some use them for 10 meter ham radios. CB is 11 meters. Cheap SWR meter can be had at radio shack to tune it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts