Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Dodge.ca Canadian site lists the MSRP for a R/T Classic at around $38,000. Where as the American site has $33,000. Have they ever given a reason for a $5000 difference? Especially considering the CAD being worth more than USD at the moment?

I'm hoping now to order the new GWE R/T Classic later in the spring/summer if it becomes available. Just trying to get an idea of what I can expect a Classic to cost in Canada.

Also does anyone have experience importing from the US? Or how much that can save?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Been through the ringer on this issue. I'm in Canada, and I too was frustrated by the price difference. I was thinking of saving the $10000 (on an SRT) from the US, but what killed it for me, was the fact that you lose the warranty when it crosses the border! I phoned Chrysler Canada to confirm, it's true. A guy can chance it, and MAYBE go the first 3 years with less than $10K in repairs, but you may not. Plus the US car has the wimpy 180 speedo, sorry, the 300 speedo is just cooler...

With the dollar where it's at, there is absolutely no other reason than politics, for this difference. I have imported Mopars from the US in the past, and it is a big song and dance at Canadian Customs too. Hope to never go through that again! I would suggest finding one here. :canada:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I was kind of thinking that too. I guess I'll just have to pray that the dealers here don't try to screw me with their pricing.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Been through the ringer on this issue. I'm in Canada, and I too was frustrated by the price difference. I was thinking of saving the $10000 (on an SRT) from the US, but what killed it for me, was the fact that you lose the warranty when it crosses the border! I phoned Chrysler Canada to confirm, it's true. A guy can chance it, and MAYBE go the first 3 years with less than $10K in repairs, but you may not. Plus the US car has the wimpy 180 speedo, sorry, the 300 speedo is just cooler...

With the dollar where it's at, there is absolutely no other reason than politics, for this difference. I have imported Mopars from the US in the past, and it is a big song and dance at Canadian Customs too. Hope to never go through that again! I would suggest finding one here. :canada:
What could possibly break on the car worth $10k? Even if your engine exploded you can build a new one with more guts for less than 10k... and just change the face on the speedo :D

·
Registered
891 Posts
I've been watching the problems guys have had with 2010 SRT's on here. If you had a valvetrain problem, an electrical issue, and a rear end problem, that would not be a cheap fix, especially if you took it to Chrysler, which is where I would like to take it. Or, you could have 3 trouble-free years, like some have had. Who knows?

It's sad, I could buy a new 2010 SRT in the US for LESS than I would pay for a stripped R/T up here (35K)!!! It's very tempting sometimes...

·
Registered
714 Posts
I've been watching the problems guys have had with 2010 SRT's on here. If you had a valvetrain problem, an electrical issue, and a rear end problem, that would not be a cheap fix, especially if you took it to Chrysler, which is where I would like to take it.
But that really expensive butt-dilating bill would be what, $5000? You saved $10 000! :lol: $10 000 is a lot of money on a $30k car to start with, almost like if it breaks buy another one :D

I remember my grandfather had the diesel engine in his Volkswagen grenade on him outside Medicine Hat. He had the dealer put in a new engine, for $4500. Ouch, but only so much "ouch"... (the engine later blew up again less than 100 000 km later, stupid POS VW but anyway)

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
On a 2011 SRT 392 with GWE package, Mopar interior appearance package, and F1 tires the price difference is less than $3500.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol I wish I had the money for a 392 :p

So what would one expect to pay for a new 2011 R/T Classic GWE? If the MSRP is around 38,000. Would it be lower, or more likely higher? 40k? What would be the max you'd be willing to pay for it?

·
Registered
94 Posts
i been through this too, by the time i figured in sales tax, my lost work time, cost to fly to pick the vehicle up and loss of warranty , there was no financial benefit from it. there was some hassles involved too as the big 3 won't sell to a visitor! you have to register it so you pay the sales tax, so you also need a friend who lives there to register it for you, or supply a home rental lease supporting you are a temporary resident. then there is the border crossing issues! customs will go up one side and down the other of you questioning what your actual costs of purchase are. you need to supply all those docs 72 hours prior. then they still could tack on duty and you have to pay HST/GST as well. for me it would have worked out to maybe $1000.00 for a car with NO warranty.
my.02c

1 - 11 of 11 Posts