Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've missed being able to play my CD's in my '17 GT. Has anybody here tried using a portable CD player and running it thru the aux and USB ports. Some online have said they've had good luck doing this. But, I've also found a couple units that I'm considering say that you can run into problems with the FCA USB ports not supporting the unit. I tried one at Best Buy yesterday, powering it with batteries, and it played OK but the sound was really poor. It was a $25 unit!?

So has anybody here tried this? Did you get good sound out of it? What brand/model did you use?

And, please note, I DO NOT want to download MP3's or transfer to flashdrives. I want to put my discs in a machine and press a button, OLD SCHOOL!.................Thanks.................the Mailman

·
Registered
33 Posts
Couple ideas for you -

Idea 1:

I bought an Adata 250GB SSD for $39 on amazon.

I used DBpoweramp (free) to rip all my CDs to .WAV format - exactly what your CD has. Lossless CD Audio.

I now have a hard drive with 80GB of albums on it. Still adding. I have a mock directory called uconnect on my hdd in windows 10, and just put new albums there. I plug in the adata SSD and drag the files over. They are all put in the root directory of the hard drive.

It's breathtaking, really.

The little adata SSD is ruggedized with a bumpered case. It includes a perfect length cable. I plug it into the USB port in the center seat console, and lay it down in the bottom, where it stays until I add more CDs.

Will that work for you?

Idea 2:

If you really want the joy of carrying CD media with you, and need to add a mechanical platter/motor to your sound system, just buy a USB 3.0 CDROM player, and plug it in in the same USB port. I've not done this myself - but it should work better than using the cheap ADC (converters) in your CD player, which you would be doing if you run using the AUX connector. Running an analog in will just add more noise.

Good luck!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I picked up a Naviskauto rechargeable portable unit that charges thru the USB and plays thru the aux. Everything fits snug in the console and sounds good. I also got a little Blackweb speaker so I can play my stuff when I'm out working on the cars. So far so good...................the Mailman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts