Dodge Challenger Forum banner

CEL and Misfire At idle

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Wm. Internet Rock DJ 
#1 ·
I own a 2016 3.6 Challenger with about 79k miles on it. About two months ago I purchased the Ripp Coil Packs for the Pentastar engine and had my trusted mechanic put them in for me. After that my check engine light when crazy flashing which I was told was due to constant misfire. I brought the car to the mechanic and he told me the 4th cylinder coil pack was probably bad and changed it out for me. The CEL and misfires went away for about a week but then the CEL came back with misfires only at Idle, we thought that since the coil pack might have been bad it might have ruined the spark plugs and or head gasket rings, so again we replaced each of those. Which again solved the problem for only about a week. This time the mechanic did a full check of my engine and told me that my Valve Seat had a problem and that it probably needed to be replaced with a quote for parts and labor at about $1500. He also mentioned that there was a large recall of the 2011 and some 2013 models but none from 2016.
He suggested calling the dealer to check the warranty, they told me the car was out of warranty and quoted me $2800. From here I called Chrysler to see if my warranty could be extended to no avail.

The purpose of my post is basically just to find some sort of guidance, at this point it's so frustrating and just want to resolve the purpose.

Would the 2011 and 2013 recall matter if my 2016 had the same problem?

Would calling a lemon lawyer to be productive or should I get another quote?

See less See more
#3 ·
I would start with reinstalling the original coils. There has been some problems with valve guide wear causing valve sealing problems in the 2011-2013 Pentastar engines, but this isn't a common problem on later engines. I am also going to say, and this will go against a lot of people's beliefs, that there is actually no power to be gained with aftermarket ignition parts over OE parts that are working properly. This applies to otherwise stock or nearly stock engines, with major modifications more ignition energy might be needed. This is based on my experience, other people's experience may vary.

#4 ·
I would start with reinstalling the original coils.........I am also going to say, and this will go against a lot of people's beliefs, that there is actually no power to be gained with aftermarket ignition parts over OE parts that are working properly.....
This is the truth. Swap back your ignition and your problems will go away and your wallet will be happy.

#5 ·
True story. Back in the day, I owned a '69 Dodge with the 440 Six Pack. It was fun car, could literally smoke the tires up to about 75 or 80 MPH. It had a point type ignition. Mopar had a performance parts division called Direct Connection back then, that sold a complete electronic ignition conversion kit. I thought it would help my Six Pack perform better, so I ordered part number P3690428 and installed it. I couldn't tell any difference in performance, but at least I didn't have to fiddle with getting the points set just so anymore. It didn't help with performance, but it did cut down on the work needed to keep the car running at top performance. Now, the carburetors on the Six Pack, that's another story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.