Dodge Challenger Forum banner

CEL, Limp mode, SCARE!

5802 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  5qua5hear5
Car specs: 2013 auto RT (NON STP) 2700 miles on Odometer
Today when i left the gym, I pulled onto the roadway (normal casual driving), the car shifted through 1, 2, then when it shifted to 3rd gear I heard a "CLUNK". My CEL popped on and the car went into limp mode. Car stayed running but the throttle didn't react (limp mode) I pulled the car over, shut off the AC and rolled down the windows.... nothing sounded unusual. I shifted from Drive to nuetral then to park and back to drive. Still nothing unusual. Well, thank goodnesss a dodge service center was just up the street about a 100 yards. I drove the car to shop at closing time. They nicely plugged my car up to a computer. i don't know the CEL code but the tech stated that it was a stored code ( not active) and that it said that the code was because the computer said that the final gear ratio was invalid. The tech said it sounded like a computer glitch and cleared the code. The dealership scheduled a pre-emptive appointment for this friday and also stated that there was a TCM update that they would install on Friday as well. Drove the car away and nothing unusual afterwards.

Now the good news: I DID notice that the car seemed to "wake up" afterwards. There was a light rain on my way home. I had to seriously BABY the throttle ( like I was stepping on a fragile egg) to prevent the back end from coming around. Traction control was on but the car was acting like it gained 100 HP. Strange.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Crazy, same thing happened to me the other day. Turned the car off and did the key trick to see what code it was, no code was shown and the CEL went off. Huh... been driving fine

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.