Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R/T
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I don't know where everyone else stows their cell phones, but after I turn my phone's bluetooth on I typically just prop mine up in the little rubber tray to the right of the shifter. I like it there because it keeps it in sight and within easy reach. The only problem is that any hard acceleration or cornering will throw it out of the tray and into the floorboard, which is really freaking annoying. So what I've done is built what I can only describe as a sort of "seat belt" for the phone; see attachment 1.

The belt basically consists of two 2" tall screw posts which are mounted through the bottom of the rubber tray at a distance just greater than the width of my phone. The rubber tray pops out of the console, so it was easy to pull out to drill and run the screws through. I then ran the belt, braided red and black to fit the interior color scheme, across the two posts which I spraypainted with a glossy black. The belt is actually tied off around rubber grommets that I slid up to the top of the posts, which prevents the belt from sliding down the posts over time.

The phone now rests securely between the posts and behind the belt, keeping it from falling backwards or sideways when the car accelerates. Attachment 2 simulates how the phone rests after being thrown backwards.

Truth be told, I'm not particularly happy with how the spraypainting came out, so I'll probably redo it with some hobby paint.

If you decide you like it and you end up improving the design for your own needs, please post with details!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,987 Posts
Looks like you were to late for your phones screen :surprise:

Put more paint on, 2000 grit, polishing compound. Not a lot of work for such small pieces :thumbsup:

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 R/T
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha yeah, I got the spiderman app from a rock. I should have used someone else's phone for the photos.

Thanks for the sanding advice. I have some 2000 grit, so I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Haha. Man you have way too much time on your hands but that's why I love reading these posts. You get so many things to think about from everyone. It's just great reading what others think about.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
If I had android auto I'd just plug it in and throw it in the console. Since I don't I have a mount that has a suction cup that sticks to the windshield and the phone is under my rear view mirror.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Pro Clip for the win. My phone doesn't move around at all and the phone is easy to get to. The down side? The price. But as long as yours works and you are happy I say "Congrats".

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you wanted to get creative you could fiberglass a phone docking station of sorts, then you can run the wire to the usb or to the 12v and have it on charge as well. I'm thinking I'm going to try this but can't decide where I want it.

I've attached a generic google image of an example from a different car.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm just surprised they don't engineer a mount or logical place for them when designing the interior, other than expecting people to keep them in a pocket or toss in the middle console. I get that real estate is precious but EVERYONE has a phone. So far I only see the ProClip as the best option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Interesting idea and actually looks good. I just don't have the time to do all the work needed. I have a pro clip with the magnet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2014 rt shaker
750 Posts
I keep a nice leather coozie in the cup holder, and I just drop my phone into it when I get in the car.
Usually upside down so it can stay plugged in.
Never had a problem with it bouncing around, and I do most of my driving thru winding canyons.

·
Registered
2016 R/T
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I keep a nice leather coozie in the cup holder, and I just drop my phone into it when I get in the car.
Usually upside down so it can stay plugged in.
That's a pretty good idea too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts