Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm a newbie. I do some work in the agriculter industry and deal with center pivots. I recently got back from a training seminar and while I was at this seminar they informed us that the cell carrier that they utilize to give land owners the ability to remote monitor their pivots was going to be phasing out 3g connectivity. With the development of 5g on the horizon I guess 3g will be eventually phased out with all providers and 4gLTE along with the coming 5g will be the only connections available. This got me wondering about the 2016, 15, etc.,etc. If I'm not mistaken our uconnect systems are only capable of 3g or less, no LTE. So I guess my question is when 3g goes offline do our radios become just old-school radios again? What features will the 2016s and older loose? Maybe I'm way off base on this whole deal. All I know is that I was informed at our training seminar that we have a lot of cellular modems that will need to be changed out because they will eventually become inoperable due to the fact that they do not support LTE bands.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I never understood why they used 3G on the 15 and 16's when everyone else used 4G. Guess we will see what there answer is to this. I am assuming tough luck.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
I look at it this way - FCA can't push out bad updates Over The Air if 3G goes away.

If you have software that works, keep it the same and they can't screw it up.

We've seen how its been going for the past nine months so far for the lack of uConnect support.

I don't have faith in what they do...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I look at it this way - FCA can't push out bad updates Over The Air if 3G goes away.

If you have software that works, keep it the same and they can't screw it up.

We've seen how its been going for the past nine months so far for the lack of uConnect support.

I don't have faith in what they do...

This is true

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,761 Posts
No vehicle health reports :)

A Guy

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wouldn't this break all of the uConnect TravelLink stuff too?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wouldn't this break all of the uConnect TravelLink stuff too?
That's what I'm concerned about. Any app based utility in the uconnect like Yelp, Performance pages, Send n go, if you are choosing to pay for uconnect access do you end up loosing the ability to communicate with the vehicle thru the uconnect app. Will all of these features become inoperable. I'll be slightly irritated if I payed for something that is going to become inoperable. My experience in the past with calling uconnect customer support is less than stellar. That's putting it politely. Usually I end up telling them something they didn't know and figuring it out on my own. I had originally thought that these vehicles use at&t cell towers but recently discovered that my paticular vehicle appears to use Sprint. This may differ based on vehicle location, I'm not sure. I stopped by a stealership this am and of course they are absolutely no help whatsoever. I myself love the vehicle I have, but absolutely can't stand Chrysler and all the extra fees with this system. I'm also a little ticked at the fact that these cars will not be getting Android auto or apple car play. Then to find out that there may be a possibility that the internal cell modem in the vehicle may become inoperable or unsupported. However you want to say it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
maybe they will do a recall and replace the modems to newer one....
That would be nice, however I don't think I will be holding my breath on that one. I'm reasonably sure that the cell modem is most likely built into the head unit itself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hey all, I'm a newbie. I do some work in the agriculter industry and deal with center pivots. I recently got back from a training seminar and while I was at this seminar they informed us that the cell carrier that they utilize to give land owners the ability to remote monitor their pivots was going to be phasing out 3g connectivity. With the development of 5g on the horizon I guess 3g will be eventually phased out with all providers and 4gLTE along with the coming 5g will be the only connections available. This got me wondering about the 2016, 15, etc.,etc. If I'm not mistaken our uconnect systems are only capable of 3g or less, no LTE. So I guess my question is when 3g goes offline do our radios become just old-school radios again? What features will the 2016s and older loose? Maybe I'm way off base on this whole deal. All I know is that I was informed at our training seminar that we have a lot of cellular modems that will need to be changed out because they will eventually become inoperable due to the fact that they do not support LTE bands.
Edited

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hey all this is what I was able to dig up over the net concerning the Sierra wireless AR5550 chipset modem. This is a bit of on interesting read. Some of the warnings are interesting concerning over the air updates and the possibility of packet loss. Anyway hopefully someone that is a bit more tech savvy then I am will come across this and enlighten us all on what it could mean if or when 3g is no longer supported. My knowledge base is somewhat limited when it comes to the techy stuff. Lol. I would imagine that all of the Fiat/Chrysler products, not just the Challenger that have built in connectivity prior to 2017 will have this chipset modem. You can view this by entering your engineering menu and selecting hard ware or HW version. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to explain.usermanual.wiki/Sierra-Wireless/AR5550/info

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,761 Posts
Ironically, 4G does not support voice calls, when you make a call on your 4g phone, it switches to 3G unless the phone supports Voice Over LTE (VOLTE). That said:

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2015/04/2g_and_3g_to_be_phased_out_by_2020/

The "fix" for phones and other devices is to upgrade. I doubt FCA would upgrade every car with 3G. It seems likely anything using 3G will cease to work. It's probably written in the legal document you sign by proxy when you buy your car. FCA reserves the right to discontinue any service at any time...blah, blah, blah. It's a real thing.

A Guy

Reactions: Jawbreaker

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ironically, 4G does not support voice calls, when you make a call on your 4g phone, it switches to 3G unless the phone supports Voice Over LTE (VOLTE). That said:

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2015/04/2g_and_3g_to_be_phased_out_by_2020/

The "fix" for phones and other devices is to upgrade. I doubt FCA would upgrade every car with 3G. It seems likely anything using 3G will cease to work. It's probably written in the legal document you sign by proxy when you buy your car. FCA reserves the right to discontinue any service at any time...blah, blah, blah. It's a real thing.

A Guy
Guess I will start looking into the possibility of upgrading to a 2017 RA4 or an alternative. I have seen on some of the other posts that a company in Florida sells a direct swap out. It's a bit on the pricy side but its worth it to me to have the added functionality that will go along with.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,001 Posts
The article referenced for 2020 phaseout is about England and is a prediction not a certainty.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts

A Guy
our phones will work, our radios should still work, they just won't get a signal from Uconnect correct?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,761 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts