Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "search fu" may not be the greatest, but I did not see this problem listed on here.

For the second straight week, I have "lost" a center cap off my front end. This time it is the driver side that has been eaten by the center cap gnomes. After replacing the passenger side cap, I noticed it would take some effort for it to just jump off the wheel. I cannot find any pry marks on the wheels. Could the southern heat be farking with the plastic center caps?

Options

a) keep buying center caps @ 10.49 each
b) super glue them on :)notallthere:)
c) remove the rest and let the gnomes get something else

Anybody else having a problem w/ the 2011 center caps? They are the standard aluminum 18" wheels.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Try clear silicone on the backside to seat the center caps - an adhesive that takes heat very well. They can be removed for tire service if needed and will stay put with excessive summer and added brake heat.

I had to do this on my '81 Trans Am with those chrome plastic center cups - those were the large and heavy suckers. Without the silicone they would take a bump and fly off and smack the windshield of the person driving behind me on the freeway ... lol

·
Registered
607 Posts
Im in East Texas (its been over 100 every day for the last month now and isnt letting up) and I havent had a problem yet. I drive fast all the time so it cant be that either. I think someone is taking them.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
No one is taking them.. It's brake heat that causes the clips of the centercaps to warp (they are just plastic after all) and once they loosen up enough they fly out.. Dodge Ram owners have had this issue for years now.. I speak first hand, I don't have a single center cap on my rims right now....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went to a different dealer ship from where I bought my car and put in the order for 4 new center caps. This place was cheaper than where I bought my car. :scratchhead:

Yea, I don't think anyone is stealing them, I think its cheap plastic. I'll try the silicone trick when they come.

Thanks for the advice :redcap:

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
What did you pay and do you have the part number? I was quoted $9.65 this morning. I thought guys were paying a little over $6. I've got two sets of Rams if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What did you pay and do you have the part number? I was quoted $9.65 this morning. I thought guys were paying a little over $6. I've got two sets of Rams if anyone is interested.

1SK35SZ0-AA CAP WHEEL 22001048 List @ 9.20 each = 36.80 + tax = 39.38 for four. These are the ones that say DODGE on them.

Silicone trick has worked so far, no issues with the center cap gnomes eating them. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
1SK35SZ0-AA CAP WHEEL 22001048 List @ 9.20 each = 36.80 + tax = 39.38 for four. These are the ones that say DODGE on them.

Silicone trick has worked so far, no issues with the center cap gnomes eating them. :bigthumb:
Cool beans... here's another fix you'll need down the road.

Now save that silicone for when your rocker panels start to crack on the ends in about 1-2 years. It works there as well to keep it together. Use masking tape around the crack and inject the silicone real good. Flatten it down smooth and remove the tape. Wait 30 minutes and rub the fixed area only with flat black on a Q-tip and you're done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts