Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've got a 2018 Challenger R/T that came with the base - crap speaker - no idea if there is any amp - system. I've heard of there being a center dash 3.5" speaker in other systems but all seem to be older models - I haven't taken the dash speaker cover off yet to investigate, but I do see a place where one would go. Do they still make systems with that center speaker? Is there any wire harness there if I want to add a speaker? Or should I not even bother?

Also, my car obviously did not come with a Sub. Is there a signal wire hanging around somewhere taped or screwed to a wall in the rear area that would have been used for a car with a sub with a factory Amp? Or do they just use a completely different wire harness that omits the Sub signal wire when they give you the crap system? (I got the crap system on purpose so I could put in my own as everyone seems to have mixed feelings about any of the factory systems)

Thanks,

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I've got a 2018 Challenger R/T that came with the base - crap speaker - no idea if there is any amp - system. I've heard of there being a center dash 3.5" speaker in other systems but all seem to be older models - I haven't taken the dash speaker cover off yet to investigate, but I do see a place where one would go. Do they still make systems with that center speaker? Is there any wire harness there if I want to add a speaker? Or should I not even bother?

Also, my car obviously did not come with a Sub. Is there a signal wire hanging around somewhere taped or screwed to a wall in the rear area that would have been used for a car with a sub with a factory Amp? Or do they just use a completely different wire harness that omits the Sub signal wire when they give you the crap system? (I got the crap system on purpose so I could put in my own as everyone seems to have mixed feelings about any of the factory systems)

Thanks,
I can only speak from my own experience upgrading my 2018 T/A 392 that came with the 276W 6-speaker Alpine system. First, my factory system didn't sound terrible but it also didn't sound good. I upgraded all six speakers and powered them with two amps.

I found the 6-speaker system had 3.5" speakers at the corners of the dash and there was an opening in the center of the dash but no factory wiring. There was also an opening for an 8" sub in the rear deck but again no wiring. This didn't matter to me since I replaced all speaker wiring anyway.

I hope this is of some assistance. And, I have a fairly detailed thread that chronicles my install/upgrade if your interested.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can only speak from my own experience upgrading my 2018 T/A 392 that came with the 276W 6-speaker Alpine system. First, my factory system didn't sound terrible but it also didn't sound good. I upgraded all six speakers and powered them with two amps.

I found the 6-speaker system had 3.5" speakers at the corners of the dash and there was an opening in the center of the dash but no factory wiring. There was also an opening for an 8" sub in the rear deck but again no wiring. This didn't matter to me since I replaced all speaker wiring anyway.

I hope this is of some assistance. And, I have a fairly detailed thread that chronicles my install/upgrade if your interested.
Hey Thanks for the reply - I did see your post and it was very helpful. I have upgraded my factory speakers (the cheap piles of crap the are!) with the kicker speakers that were available with the Kicker Upgrade some years back - My old Grand Cherokee Overland had that system and it was bangin (Literally!). To conserve space I have a Pioneer Free air, shallow mount 8" Sub (it's gotten really good reviews so I'll give it a shot) to put on the rear deck that will be paired with a Kicker 300 watt mono amp that will go where the spare tire isn't. I haven't got a clue if my factory radio set up even has an amp or not - I'd need to get up under the dash and see. If it is halfway decent I will just leave it alone with the kicker speakers and move on.

as a side note, I saw in your signature you have a Barton Shifter - is that for the A8 or M6? I've got the A8 and am on the fence about getting their "Cue Ball" shifter. I like to manually shift a lot so that seems like it would be a welcome addition.

·
Registered
120 Posts
as a side note, I saw in your signature you have a Barton Shifter - is that for the A8 or M6? I've got the A8 and am on the fence about getting their "Cue Ball" shifter. I like to manually shift a lot so that seems like it would be a welcome addition.
The shifter is for the M6 transmission. The Speed Dawg shifter ball is just the cherry on top, both were a very welcome change from the factory stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts