Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys Ive been looking around for superchargers for a while and i wanted to know your guys options and experiences with your superchargers or knowledge of them. Ive heard lots of good things about Vortechs, at first i wanted to get a kenne bell but now I'm not sure.

So what one do you guys like more and whats your dislike about them? I haven't really heard from twin screw/root styles superchargers owner or anything about them.

i have a 2011 R/T so i don't have a srt8 :( so what kind would be right for me. I kinda like the instant power of twin screw, but the centrifugal ones have more usable power right? and they are lighter and stay cooler? Any help would be nice so i don't rush into getting something I'm not sure of.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I've had a kenne bell and it is a top notch kit. Customer service is also very good. Can't count how many time I talked to Jim Bell himself. The great thing about the twin screw design is that it gives instant boost and is more efficient then a roots style. Centrifugal style will not give the instant boost. It will come on as the rpm climbs. I personally like the instant boost and all the low end torque I can get because in reality if u don't plan on really drag racing all the time it will be a weekend cruiser and be a stop light to stop light rocket. For me the screw is much more fun. ;-)

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
i love kenne bells.. they are the best looking unit out there.. with that being said most people would agree that kenne bell's are more suited for HIGH HP builds.. they really shine when you up the boost like 10 12 14 and so on lbs.. plus they are expandable.

i know they have 8lb kits but i don't think they was built for lower hp applications.. after all they make the blower for the gt500 and the super snake and they run like 14lbs of boost if that tells you anything.

the magnuson is a great blower.. i have that. i was on the fence like you and ended up going that route.. the new style case looks great ( better than the waffle case )

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
I would try the Whipple 2.9l. If your looking to make over 700rwhp then get the KB.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Reactions: Flat Top

·
Registered
368 Posts
Installed 4-5 Vortechs on my Mustangs. Switched to Procharger on the Challenger. Cannot beat the Air-to-Air intercooler for daily driving - especially in Texas! High IAT's is ewww!

I don't drag race or plan on taking it out on a road course any time in the distant future so I'm totally biased on my current setup. If I was going to drag it with slicks - screws would be the way to go for the table top torque low end grunt.

Forced induction is just that in it's basic design across all platforms. Pros/Cons on both sides, but IMHO the centri just sounds really cool with straight cut gears (opted for the quieter set, but the T-trim Vortech would scare people at a red light)

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Installed 4-5 Vortechs on my Mustangs. Switched to Procharger on the Challenger. Cannot beat the Air-to-Air intercooler for daily driving - especially in Texas! High IAT's is ewww!

I don't drag race or plan on taking it out on a road course any time in the distant future so I'm totally biased on my current setup. If I was going to drag it with slicks - screws would be the way to go for the table top torque low end grunt.

Forced induction is just that in it's basic design across all platforms. Pros/Cons on both sides, but IMHO the centri just sounds really cool with straight cut gears (opted for the quieter set, but the T-trim Vortech would scare people at a red light)

I've seen the pro charger but I'm not sure i like the air to air over vortech air to water, I live in southern califorina and I don't think 90+ air would be that great for cooling. And I don't plan and taking my car to the drag strip at all either.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Water to air is a much better heat exchanging method than air to air.

Reactions: Kyle

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I bet their units work fine in a 2011. The big thing was the tuning for VVT. That should be on lockdown by now. Shoot Speedlogix-Mikey a PM. He was super helpful with my build, and should be able to answer any of your questions.

·
Registered
550 Posts
What would the consensus be for those who daily drive and hit the track on a regular basis? It seems that a vortech or procharger would be a smarter choice?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
WTF...Low end ??? Everyone forget about a converter and why there there ??? Id still use a stall if I had a screw, but just sayin.
FT

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Well, to be fair not everybody drag races. I suppose screws would be fun in the lower RPMs with instant big torque numbers. I mean who doesn't like getting all squirrelly?

Having to wait a second for the power hit with the Vortech isn't a problem for me. In some ways the delay is a benefit. I'm not sure I'd want the Vortech on a low torque motor, but on the 5.7 it just plain works... When she builds boost, she comes on strong and puts a big shite eating grin on my face every time.

:D

·
Registered
260 Posts
Water to air is a much better heat exchanging method than air to air.
That my friend will be two heat exchange processes for the application and the denser water media advantage just goes out the window.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts