Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering having my car ceramic coated.

What is involved in maintaining a ceramic coating? I see that they make some products to "renew" the coating.

How does that work? Just like car wax?

I am not up on this stuff.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Here is a good vid on the subject.

He also has other vids to explain other things concerning coatings.

If your the type of person who likes to spend some relaxing time waxing your car, then a coating is not for you. In most cases you dont want to put wax on the coatings.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,075 Posts
I have used the CarPro Reload. It's made for the CQuartz, but will work on any car, even non coated. There are others of course, some even spray on, wash off. It restores the properties of the coating without clogging/covering the coating. I've only done it once so far, but my car is weekends only, and only 5600 miles so far. Applying it is a breeze, it's a wipe on, wipe off thing, no true polishing.

I didn't use the microfiber applicator as my detailer said the paint is too soft, and only uses/recommends Microfiber Madness Crazy Pile towels. Soft as a baby's bottom ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
Read this FIRST before you begin shopping for ceramic coatings

The Truth Behind Wild Coating Claims

As mentioned above, if you like to detail your own car, or think you will (doing paint correction, polishing, etc) then a ceramic coating is not the way to go.

Also, remember that the condition of your paint just prior to the application of the coating will be the "best" condition it is in during the life of the coating; that additional swirls can happen despite the coating.

Good luck, whichever direction you decide to go!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,075 Posts
CarPro makes a product that can be used to polish ceramic coatings. Essence Plus (not to be confused with their Essence...not a great idea naming them so close)

Essence PLUS ? CarPro

But I agree, if you want to wax and polish, then have at it. If you want to not wax and polish, that is where the coating comes in. You still take care to wash, maintain and not get swirls. But now if you do, you can also take care of them if you have the skill and wherewithal.

My car has been coated almost 15 months, there are no doubt some swirls, I'm not going looking for them, lol. BUT, the car looks great, sheds water, deep wet shine. That's why I got it coated, so I could just wash it and enjoy. Mine gets washed almost every weekend, so it's not "washing off" either ;)

After applying Reload 7/21/2017

I'm not selling anything, but I'm sold, lol ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
190 Posts
I concur with the above.

I’ve got nothing but good things to say about the consumer grade cquartz product.

Have it on my Challenger and my Ram and have good results with both. My Challenger is babied, my Ram not so much.

That said, I put a solid 12+ hours into my Challenger’s paint prior to the coating and a little over 8 into my Ram. I can’t imagine the results would be great if you didn’t do at least a minor paint correction prior.

I wash both roughly weekly to bi-weekly. I wash by hand. Coating has been on my Challenger for almost a year. The truck less than a month. It makes the washing/drying a simple affair and in my opinion has given both vehicles extra pop when clean.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CarPro makes a product that can be used to polish ceramic coatings. Essence Plus (not to be confused with their Essence...not a great idea naming them so close)

Essence PLUS ? CarPro

But I agree, if you want to wax and polish, then have at it. If you want to not wax and polish, that is where the coating comes in. You still take care to wash, maintain and not get swirls. But now if you do, you can also take care of them if you have the skill and wherewithal.

My car has been coated almost 15 months, there are no doubt some swirls, I'm not going looking for them, lol. BUT, the car looks great, sheds water, deep wet shine. That's why I got it coated, so I could just wash it and enjoy. Mine gets washed almost every weekend, so it's not "washing off" either

After applying Reload 7/21/2017

I'm not selling anything, but I'm sold, lol

A Guy
That is a great looking car!

You aren’t selling me anything, but I might be buying.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I have my car coated with Opticoat Pro Plus, I use Car Pro Reload on it every few months. I’m a fan of the coating, especially because I live in a dirty gritty climate and daily drive my car. Paint doesn’t last out here, I wanted the extra barrier. Compared to other black cars, mine definitely has an extra pop. I think this is a very good thing for someone who is busy, works a lot and wants their cat looking top-notch with minimal time and effort. If your car is in the garage a lot and you have a lot of time for detailing and waxing and polishing, then you could probably achieve similar results with a lot of elbow grease.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Very tough to photograph a black car and do it justice, but I hope this gives you an idea...

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
Read this FIRST before you begin shopping for ceramic coatings

The Truth Behind Wild Coating Claims

As mentioned above, if you like to detail your own car, or think you will (doing paint correction, polishing, etc) then a ceramic coating is not the way to go.

Also, remember that the condition of your paint just prior to the application of the coating will be the "best" condition it is in during the life of the coating; that additional swirls can happen despite the coating.

Good luck, whichever direction you decide to go!
A GUY's car looks great. No denying it.

You haven't indicated whether you're considering taking on detailing your car yourself. You may be considering the option, so for the sake of full disclosure so you can see what can be achieved with your other option:

And, as you can see from below, Renny isn't just a Garage Queen

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am way too lazy to do this myself.

My lack of desire to spend hours on my car's finish is the main reason I'm considering this option.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,075 Posts
How do you know when the coating is starting to need re-done?
Generally the water beading. Water may sheet in areas, often the lower sides when the hydrophobic properties begin to change. These days, if the coating isn't also damaged, or badly swirled, you can restore that property with Reload, and other products. Also, use a recommended soap like Reset that doesn't contain all kinds of glossifiers, etc. These can clog the coating. Reset and others leave behind no soap residues or silicones. A Guy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts