Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dropped the car off Monday, 07/13/2020.

Day 1 - Car washed and prepped for paint correction.

Day 2 (07/14) - Paint correction complete. Window tint next.

Day 2 (cont) - Window tint complete. Second car wash.

Day 3 (07/15) - Wrapping the hood.

Day 3 (cont) - Hood wrap complete. Wheels and brake calipers starting the coating process.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Shaker 6 spd manual 18 spkrs Harmon Kardon
211 Posts
Looks fantastic! Yet, I am surprised you did not do a clay treatment. My own car which I bought new in February even needed the clay before getting PPF. A new car is really never clean...
Will follow up to see the end result...

·
Registered
211 Posts
The first step was a full paint correction, which included clay.
I am sorry! Not being a Pro at this I forget often that the term "paint correction" includes the clay...

I am a pretty good amateur however! My new S/P does not have a single swirl... yet, I might be cheating while having the PPF!... I have to say that PPF is such a Peace of mind. Wish we had a shop like yours around here! [NM]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am sorry! Not being a Pro at this I forget often that the term "paint correction" includes the clay...

I am a pretty good amateur however! My new S/P does not have a single swirl... yet, I might be cheating while having the PPF!... I have to say that PPF is such a Peace of mind. Wish we had a shop like yours around here! [NM]
No worries. Up until last week, I didn't know what paint correction entailed.
Enjoy your new ride. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Very nice !
The tint is great but not legal in Germany .... grrrr.
The hood looks great , maybe a nice idea to cover. I like it really.

What means "paint corrections" ? My car was also 3 days for ceramic coating , also the wheels . But I have no idea about the corrections.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice !
The tint is great but not legal in Germany .... grrrr.
The hood looks great , maybe a nice idea to cover. I like it really.

What means "paint corrections" ? My car was also 3 days for ceramic coating , also the wheels . But I have no idea about the corrections.
Thank you. I would consider paint correction one of the most important parts of the process. It is simply reducing/removing imperfections in the paint/finish.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the hood wrap cost? It looks amazing.
Thank you. Cost of the wrap is about $210.00.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
436 Posts
How long does the wrap last? I've never had one done, just wondering comparing that to having it painted.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts

Before correction is decontamination. Iron remover (Iron X, etc.), tar, wash, clay, wash, IPA/Prep/Eraser, etc.

A Guy

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How long does the wrap last? I've never had one done, just wondering comparing that to having it painted.
I've never wrapped anything, but I would imagine it would last as long as something like stripes added to a car. Several factors could either shorten or extend the life (i.e. location on the car, maintenance/care, frequency of driving, etc.).

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
Pretty sure a wrap is 5-7 years or so. Depends on how it's maintained and how much time in direct sunlight, etc.

A Guy

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've never wrapped anything, but I would imagine it would last as long as something like stripes added to a car. Several factors could either shorten or extend the life (i.e. location on the car, maintenance/care, frequency of driving, etc.).
Pretty sure a wrap is 5-7 years or so. Depends on how it's maintained and how much time in direct sunlight, etc.

A Guy
It has a 10 year warranty... Supposedly. I have it in writing. The Sun is a scorcher here in Central New Mexico and fortunately I am retired and the car is garaged when I am home. I still managed to leave it in the sun for 8000+ miles since February 18th of this year!

While even having 7 years, 100,000 miles bumper to bumper extended warranty and Lifetime on the power-train, I am thinking about getting another car, like "transportation"... Somehow I am enjoying the "Challenger" a bit too much looks like. [sorry off subject!]

The car is too easy to wash! Rinse, foam gun, nice mitt, rinse, 180 mph blower, dry the left over water with nice towels, finally spray and wipe [1 towel deal] with "Lucas Spray Wax". That's what they told me to use.

Even though the car was new I did "decontaminate" it before the wrap. Being a 2019 it needed it. I think any new car needs it. I watched a video done by "Topaz", detaillers and wrappers in London for the multi-million dollar cars [!!!] and even a brand new car, using a foam which the suds turn purple on dirt, the whole car ended up being purple!

Love that wrap! I am always stunned watching technicians wrapping as I am a total klutz!

And by the way, what camera are you using? The photos are unbelievably sharp! Amazing... and I see 2 Challengers! Where are you located?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And by the way, what camera are you using? The photos are unbelievably sharp! Amazing... and I see 2 Challengers! Where are you located?
I did not take the pictures. The sales manager is sending me the progress pictures. I'm in the Tampa Bay area of Florida.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts