Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, so I’m going to ceramic coat my own car because I’m crazy and I thought it sounded like fun.

Today I washed it after work with clean slate and clay barred the entire car. It wasn’t very dirty though tbh, it’s brand new. I was a bit shocked how little the clay bar took off. As you can see from the photos, paint is very shiny and new looking even after just a wash.

Anyways these are the products I chose to use to accomplish it. I figured this would be a good informational thread and I can answer any questions for anyone else that’s curious! I went with mostly chemical guys and their package as it was on sale when I was looking. The ceramic coating is armor shield .

Process for me will be:

Wash
Clay bar
Polish
IPA/wipe out spray
Ceramic

Others may have to compound or do more paint correction beforehand. My paint is still new and looks fairly good so we’ll see once we dive in but I don’t anticipate using a compound for any reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: GSBrockman

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,666 Posts
Looking forward to your review. Some pitfalls to avoid...too much product, should only need a line to start, and even just a few drops once the applicator has some product on it. Too much will result in streaking, and make it hard to remove the excess. Which leads to the second thing, have some light to be able to see that the product has been leveled. You shouldn't see any streaks after removing excess. it's harder to deal with once it's cured.

I hadn't heard of the product you chose, but in reading a bit, it seems to apply, and level down well, and the results are good. Good luck!

A Guy

Reactions: Cominfromcamaro

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking forward to your review. Some pitfalls to avoid...too much product, should only need a line to start, and even just a few drops once the applicator has some product on it. Too much will result in streaking, and make it hard to remove the excess. Which leads to the second thing, have some light to be able to see that the product has been leveled. You shouldn't see any streaks after removing excess. it's harder to deal with once it's cured.

I hadn't heard of the product you chose, but in reading a bit, it seems to apply, and level down well, and the results are good. Good luck!

A Guy

Thanks for the info! Yeah I did a bunch of research and saw their name pop-up online a good bit and the reviews were all very good. Pretty cool company actually, they send you everything you need and they send out informational videos and articles about how to apply and everything. Their goal is to make it as easy as possible to apply!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

A Guy

It was actually very easy to use! I started to polish but realized the car wasn’t getting any shinier lol so I decided not to waste my time. Paint looked really good outside of a few spots that I had already buffed out. I had no issues applying the ceramic though and it took me about 5.5 hours to do. It’s SO SHINY and SMOOTH!

Reactions: Gary John

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Nice!

Can't wait until I move into an actual house with a proper garage and the climate cools off to do this myself.

What made you decide on armor king instead of something like cquartz?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice!

Can't wait until I move into an actual house with a proper garage and the climate cools off to do this myself.

What made you decide on armor king instead of something like cquartz?

It was actually quite easy and the instructions say you ‘can’ do this outside but you need to avoid dust/dirt and rain for at least 5 hours but days is recommended.

I started doing a bit of research and it came up with good reviews even though it was fairly new. They had a sale when I was looking and I got 2 bottles (good for 2 cars) for like $120, normally $70 for 50ML. They also had a 2 year warranty so I took a chance on it and it worked out!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bad! It’s armor shield by Avalon king! Lol I was all backwards.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
It was actually quite easy and the instructions say you ‘can’ do this outside but you need to avoid dust/dirt and rain for at least 5 hours but days is recommended.

I started doing a bit of research and it came up with good reviews even though it was fairly new. They had a sale when I was looking and I got 2 bottles (good for 2 cars) for like $120, normally $70 for 50ML. They also had a 2 year warranty so I took a chance on it and it worked out!

Fair enough, let us know how it holds up.

Can it be applied to plastics?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fair enough, let us know how it holds up.

Can it be applied to plastics?

That’ll be a ways down the road haha. Yes, plastics, rims, paint and glass. The plastic looks very wet now.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,666 Posts
Great, you'll love the water beading ;)

A Guy

Reactions: Cominfromcamaro

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
695 Posts
The Authorized shops will tell you.....even when you drive it off the lot, there should be Paint Correction applied before applying Ceramic Coatings...They also are supposed to "bake" it in....they have "ovens" in their buildings they use.

Good Luck..I would never try this myself...I can screw up anything..

I got mine done when I bought the car back in 2014...They applied Cquartz Finest....Amazing product..esp the first 12-15 months.

93,000 miles later...the car still shines after washing...like its was just waxed....I have NEVER put wax on the car.

The place I used, no longer uses CQUartz Finest, they went to a more expensive Product called Modesta.
The price has risen dramatically since I did mine 5 years ago...I think it cost around $700...Now it approaches $1500-2000.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Authorized shops will tell you.....even when you drive it off the lot, there should be Paint Correction applied before applying Ceramic Coatings...They also are supposed to "bake" it in....they have "ovens" in their buildings they use.

Good Luck..I would never try this myself...I can screw up anything..

I got mine done when I bought the car back in 2014...They applied Cquartz Finest....Amazing product..esp the first 12-15 months.

93,000 miles later...the car still shines after washing...like its was just waxed....I have NEVER put wax on the car.

The place I used, no longer uses CQUartz Finest, they went to a more expensive Product called Modesta.
The price has risen dramatically since I did mine 5 years ago...I think it cost around $700...Now it approaches $1500-2000.

Well, of course a shop would tell you that, they’re trying to make money. But there is truth to it also, car paint from the factory isn’t perfect. I made it perfect enough for my taste and moved on. I removed any swirls or buffer marks and scratches and it looked good so I moved on. It was one of the easiest things I’ve ever done.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Well, of course a shop would tell you that, they’re trying to make money. But there is truth to it also, car paint from the factory isn’t perfect. I made it perfect enough for my taste and moved on. I removed any swirls or buffer marks and scratches and it looked good so I moved on. It was one of the easiest things I’ve ever done.

The hardest part is having the stamina to do it all in one go, lol.

Gotta keep in mind that shops have 2-3 people or more working on the car, so they'll get it done twice as fast and with half as much energy spent.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The hardest part is having the stamina to do it all in one go, lol.

Gotta keep in mind that shops have 2-3 people or more working on the car, so they'll get it done twice as fast and with half as much energy spent.

It was still a lot of work lol. I spent like 15 hours doing it all.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Update....I called the Detailing place in Houston that applied CQuartz Finest to my car 5 years ago....They do still use CQuartz UK...but recommended I get an upgraded Coating called Nanoflex SI3D...he says its an upgrade over CQuartz...anyway..this is their Entry Level service...$699...I will probably need Paint Correction, since my car has 93,000 miles on it...so that's another $350...

This coating has a 1 year warrantly....CQuartz has no Warranty..so I guess it mite be an upgrade..

Thinking seriously about doing it..

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update....I called the Detailing place in Houston that applied CQuartz Finest to my car 5 years ago....They do still use CQuartz UK...but recommended I get an upgraded Coating called Nanoflex SI3D...he says its an upgrade over CQuartz...anyway..this is their Entry Level service...$699...I will probably need Paint Correction, since my car has 93,000 miles on it...so that's another $350...

This coating has a 1 year warrantly....CQuartz has no Warranty..so I guess it mite be an upgrade..

Thinking seriously about doing it..

That’s dirt cheap. I was told $1400

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,666 Posts
My detailer was a one man shop ;)

They use UV lamps to cure the coating, I'm sure the "ovens" mentioned are just rooms with UV lamps?

Cquartz Finest had a 2 year warranty. Cquartz Finest reserve, which replaced it, has a 3 year warranty. Warranty on a coating is a gray area, I think it's more about a complete failure somehow.

I don't know Nanolex SI3D is an upgrade over Cquartz Finest Reserve (also possible the shop is no longer certified to install Finest, anyone can just purchase UK, or Nanolex SI3D and install it. CarPro has to certify you to install reserve). It is a quality coating from what I see. Frankly, there are probably 10 or more high quality coatings that could be called "Best". They all have their pluses, and all will make a paint corrected car look great.

Paint correction is where the major cost is. My car was just a little over 3 months old, and it needed a 2 stage correction. It looked nice and shiny out in the sun, but under the detailers lights, all the defects showed up. And the difference after was remarkable. I paid for 14 hours of correction @$75 an hour, but I live in the Bay Area, and everything is more expensive. My detailer said he actually did around 25 hours of correction, but my car not costing that much (relative to the other cars he does, lol), he couldn't see charging me for all that. His obsessive nature made him do the best correction on my Black car, and I benefited :D

Doing your own coating and not having it cured will still give you the benefits of a coating, at a fraction of the cost. It's longevity should be good. It would still benefit from paint correction, but many just wax their cars, and they look great. So a coating being more like a semi-permanent wax job, even without paint correction will preserve the paint quality as it was when applied.

I am not a detailer, but I've certainly studied it, lol.

A Guy

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My detailer was a one man shop ;)

They use UV lamps to cure the coating, I'm sure the "ovens" mentioned are just rooms with UV lamps?

Cquartz Finest had a 2 year warranty. Cquartz Finest reserve, which replaced it, has a 3 year warranty. Warranty on a coating is a gray area, I think it's more about a complete failure somehow.

I don't know Nanolex SI3D is an upgrade over Cquartz Finest Reserve (also possible the shop is no longer certified to install Finest, anyone can just purchase UK, or Nanolex SI3D and install it. CarPro has to certify you to install reserve). It is a quality coating from what I see. Frankly, there are probably 10 or more high quality coatings that could be called "Best". They all have their pluses, and all will make a paint corrected car look great.

Paint correction is where the major cost is. My car was just a little over 3 months old, and it needed a 2 stage correction. It looked nice and shiny out in the sun, but under the detailers lights, all the defects showed up. And the difference after was remarkable. I paid for 14 hours of correction @$75 an hour, but I live in the Bay Area, and everything is more expensive. My detailer said he actually did around 25 hours of correction, but my car not costing that much (relative to the other cars he does, lol), he couldn't see charging me for all that. His obsessive nature made him do the best correction on my Black car, and I benefited :D

Doing your own coating and not having it cured will still give you the benefits of a coating, at a fraction of the cost. It's longevity should be good. It would still benefit from paint correction, but many just wax their cars, and they look great. So a coating being more like a semi-permanent wax job, even without paint correction will preserve the paint quality as it was when applied.

I am not a detailer, but I've certainly studied it, lol.

A Guy

Lol. Yeah the instructions in my detail kit were to either leave it in the sun barring no rain (for 5) or wind (for 2 hours) or leave it inside for 4-7 days to cure. I’m sure the UV lights are just to speed up the curing process so you can have your car back faster. I chose the latter and the cars been in lock up since Saturday.

Maybe I’ll have someone else do paint correction next time or I’ll just do it myself. I took lights all over it and I removed anything gaudy or that stood out. I’m itching to drive it though and see how the water heading reacts.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts